Gungoll Jackson Collins Box
    Hall Estill Hardwick Gable
    Petroleum Club‎ -
    Senator Tom Coburn‎ -
    Wallace & Wallace Pc‎ -
    Gallery

Default Re: Cotter Ranch Tower - aka Chase/Liberty

bombermwc, couldn't agree more!

Cotter suggested Elliott’s design would have been akin to the glass Pyramid designed by I.M. Pei outside the Louvre, and noted many French citizens objected to the modern addition outside the historic museum.
    And comparing it to the Louvre in Paris? Sorry Jamesy boy, but downtown isn't the wild west, Liberty Tower isn't an international icon nor a museum, and downtowners and many citizens DO want the new entrance to the underground built. I can't wait until the day someone else buys this tower. First thing they should do is jackhammer his logo out of the marble floors and remove the statue to himself. #loser

3. Default Re: Cotter Ranch Tower - aka Chase/Liberty

It really does need some updates on the exterior of the tower. Maybe new, modern glass installation? Or perhaps, being wishful, a total refacade of the entire building to bring it into the 21st century. This tower is still going to be the tallest for-lease office building in Oklahoma City and it needs to mirror that. It's not ugly, but it's not beautiful by any means either.

4. Default Re: Cotter Ranch Tower - aka Chase/Liberty

I agree about the facade update. Changing the glass (alone) from black to light blue would do tremendous wonders for the city's tallest for-rent skyscraper.

In fact, I would also like to see KMG with new glass. Just a light blue hue tint would do it, nothing drastic.

I agree, Chase isn't brutally ugly nor is KMG (which is better looking than Chase), but neither Chase nor KMG are OKC's beauty queens - but simple facade makeover would seriously update both skyscrapers. (chase being most in need imo).
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

The guy seems like a hayseed to me.

6. Default Re: Cotter Ranch Tower - aka Chase/Liberty

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Cotter suggested Elliott’s design would have been akin to the glass Pyramid designed by I.M. Pei outside the Louvre, and noted many French citizens objected to the modern addition outside the historic museum.
    Clearly his cultural jack-assedness is showing. The people of Paris also hated the Eiffel tower, and the Centre Pompidou when they where built. Now they are iconic to the city and the people there love them including I.M. Pei's Louvre Pyramid.

Two things

1. Chase Tower IS ugly. It always has been.
    2. I was just thinking last night the pyramid outside the Louvre looks out of place - way out of place.

What a pompous A-hole. It's truly scary that he owns nursing homes. God help the people who live there. As for the Chase tower he's not only hurting OKC, he's hurting himself. What an opportunity he missed out on. If only OKC would shut off any access to the underground from his building and build a new grand entrance elsewhere.

Replace the Texas with Cotter

He has every right to do with his property whatever he wants to do with it within the limits of the law. I don't see the big deal here. Clearly, if he turns down free improvements from the city on his land, he's in all likelihood not making the best of business decisions, but being the owner, those decisions are his to make.

I agree Midtowner. The part I got most irritated with was his dealings in cherokee.

He has every right to do whatever he wants with the Chase tower....it doens't mean we have to like it though.

As to his dealings in Cherokee, I can certainly see Cotter's point. The town did just about everything it could do there to ensure that Cotter didn't buy that hospital property, starting up a much-needed business in town (a move which at first glance looks incredibly dumb) and may very well have been a personal slight.

In the same situation, I don't know if I'd behave differently than Cotter has.

That said, I don't see why the city doesn't just condemn the buildings as blighted and auction them off to another developer. It must not be that big a deal.

12. Default Re: Cotter Ranch Tower - aka Chase/Liberty

Was it the town or the county? And if it was the county, is it fair to punish the town?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Was it the town or the county? And if it was the county, is it fair to punish the town?
    It was the county. Sometimes you take political leverage however you can get it.

14. Default Re: Cotter Ranch Tower - aka Chase/Liberty

So the following would be incorrect:

"The town did just about everything it could do there to ensure that Cotter didn't buy that hospital property, starting up a much-needed business in town (a move which at first glance looks incredibly dumb) and may very well have been a personal slight."

I'm not so sure Oklahoma City would be happy with being judged by what Oklahoma County does. I'd be curious as to whether the same could be said about Cherokee.

I'm not so sure Oklahoma City would be happy with being judged by what Oklahoma County does. I'd be curious as to whether the same could be said about Cherokee.
    The bottom line is that Cotter will be fine with or without those buildings. He will, however, give the people of Cherokee a reminder of how their county officials really let them down.

Like I said, if the city really wanted to fix the situation, they could just condemn the property. I doubt the fair market value for a couple of run down buildings in downtown Cherokee adds up to much at all.

16. Default Re: Cotter Ranch Tower - aka Chase/Liberty

Ah, but here's the rub: it's my understanding that only the county can condemn in this case... and well, Mr. Cotter has painted a pretty ugly picture of how that county operates. It's weird - a small town is punished for what the county is doing.
    I don't know what's going on there, but in general, over my 20 years of reporting I've not seen more waste, corruption and time wasted on personality politics than in county government.

Steve, I'm pretty knowledgeable about eminent domain. I can't imagine that a municipality can't condemn derelict buildings like this if they are considered blighted.

18. Default Re: Cotter Ranch Tower - aka Chase/Liberty

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    Two things

1. Chase Tower IS ugly. It always has been.
    Seriously? Just how is it ugly? Want to give us a vivid description of how you think the building is ugly? Enlighten us....

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Seriously? Just how is it ugly? Want to give us a vivid description of how you think the building is ugly? Enlighten us....
    I can't define ugly, but I know it when I see it. Chase Tower is ugly. It is 100% devoid of any architectural details. It is an uninspired black rectangle. I’ll bet the architects spent more time planning the elevator shaft that they did on the façade and shape of the building. The Sandridge building is also a large box but at least the windows change patters on the way up.

It appears OKC and Tulsa had a contest to see who could build the ugliest building as their cities tallest – and OKC won. Hands down, I might add.

Mid, I don't know any of the ins/outs of the Cherokee property disagreement. However, it may be that the property is not city governed property, even if inside the city limits. I think it's possible for a parcel to be county or state controlled even if 100% bordered by city controlled property.

I also could be dead bang wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    I can't define ugly, but I know it when I see it. Chase Tower is ugly. It is 100% devoid of any architectural details. It is an uninspired black rectangle. I’ll bet the architects spent more time planning the elevator shaft that they did on the façade and shape of the building. The Sandrirge building is also a large box but at least the windows change patters on the way up.

It appears OKC and Tulsa had a contest to see who could build the ugliest building as their cities tallest – and OKC won. Hands down, I might add.
    It could also have been "value engineered" into ugliness but more than likely it was just designed to the style of its era which was more of a "minimalist" thinking in that time. I know there are plenty of those in Dallas, I worked in one of them that was just a plain, 40 story box all the way up. They redid the base 10 years or so ago and at least made it mush more attractive at street level.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Mid, I don't know any of the ins/outs of the Cherokee property disagreement. However, it may be that the property is not city governed property, even if inside the city limits. I think it's possible for a parcel to be county or state controlled even if 100% bordered by city controlled property.

I also could be dead bang wrong.
    I think that is the situation with the Tulsa Fairgrounds, it is/was only under the jurisdiction of Tulsa County at one time.

22. Default Re: Cotter Ranch Tower - aka Chase/Liberty

The story of Chase Tower's original development and construction is quite colorful and surprising. We'll have it in our Skirvin book coming out next month.

The story of Chase Tower's original development and construction is quite colorful and surprising. We'll have it in our Skirvin book coming out next month.
    Why, was it supposed to be round but they cut corners to save money - and voila - a box.

24. Default Re: Cotter Ranch Tower - aka Chase/Liberty

Kerry, if you look at the design, it's inspired by the World Trade Center. That may seem laughable now, but, if you look at it closely, you can see what they were attempting (likewise, First National was inspired by the Empire State Building and Oklahoma and Corporate towers were inspired by the triumph of mediocrity).

Actually, I can see where the Chase building resembles the former WTC but it is still ugly. I actually thought the WTC was a bit bland as well. If those towers were half their height would they have been iconic? No.

As for First National, it looks a lot more like the Chicago Board of Trade Building than anything.

Without cheating - what building is this a photo of?

Thread Information