Widgets Magazine
Page 468 of 485 FirstFirst ... 368418463464465466467468469470471472473 ... LastLast
Results 11,676 to 11,700 of 12103

Thread: Devon Energy Center

Default Re: Devon Energy Center

Came here to catch up on this. I used to walk through Devon at lunch from North to South and then go to the sidewalk. Crazy that over six months later, they still have their South entrance and the sidewalk still blocked off.

Including the sidewalk in the fence-off is so unnecessary, too. I understand special ordering unexpected glass is a process, but there really wasn't someone who could get this job done in over half a year?

And if it was expected to take this long, why leave the fence up the entire time? The plywood in the windows pose no threat below. My only guess is the fence was left up because they thought the glass would be finished more quickly, but now are just in "screw it, it has been up this long without a fight".

That window washer incident happened May 15th so it has now been 7 months and counting.

My understanding is they have started the work to replace the broken windows but I have no idea how long it's going to take to complete.

I did notice a few days last week they were working on windows and the window washing/ service lift was in use. hopefully soon

I was told the glass took 6 months to manufacture. It was custom for the building-LEED related. When those panes broke, the manufacturer had to retool, and basically remember how to make them.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    I was told the glass took 6 months to manufacture. It was custom for the building-LEED related. When those panes broke, the manufacturer had to retool, and basically remember how to make them.
    Wow, seems like poor planning on Devon's part, guessing they never thought any would break and to have duplicates on hand. And yes, I know that can get expensive, especially if the sizes/shapes are all different, but still...

7. Default Re: Devon Energy Center

Skyscrapers aren't exactly prefab structures where things all fit in the next structure the same.

Problems really come later when it's 40 years from now and if that manufacturer goes out of business and you need something made and have to find someone new.

The building actually curves inward.

I'm sure each and every window they are replacing are of slightly different sizes.

That sounds like a giant pain to maintain.

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    that sounds like a giant pane to maintain.
    fify

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    fify

Just took this one... They are replacing some of the broken windows:

Not much progress as of yesterday:

Yea, I saw on the news that can't work on it if the winds are high. And we have had some high wind days as of late. That being said, being in Oklahoma, it might never get done, lol.

You would think they could replace them from the inside, but guess not.

16. Default Re: Devon Energy Center

hold in place outside, while they're latched inside.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

17. Default Re: Devon Energy Center

and yes, they learned a cricitcal, invaluable lesson with the incident that created all of this. Don't bring that crane, sling, and/or workstand out when the winds are greater than 15 mph. This would be MOST days in Oklahoma, likely THE reason why all windows haven't yet been fixed. Ditto that same argument for the LEDs not being fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    and yes, they learned a cricitcal, invaluable lesson with the incident that created all of this. Don't bring that crane, sling, and/or workstand out when the winds are greater than 15 mph. This would be MOST days in Oklahoma, likely THE reason why all windows haven't yet been fixed. Ditto that same argument for the LEDs not being fixed.
    Seems like it'd be really weird if the LED lighting had to be fixed or maintained from the outside, I would consider that a big engineering fail.

IIRC, The LED issues have to do with wiring between the floors.

20. Default Re: Devon Energy Center

The LEDs themselves are outside, so to fix them wouldn't one need to go outside?

Even if you're replacing a LED panel, you need to do it from outside. Not an engineering fail at all but instead might be common sense. Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    The LEDs themselves are outside, so to fix them wouldn't one need to go outside?

Even if you're replacing a LED panel, you need to do it from outside. Not an engineering fail at all but instead might be common sense. Who knows?
    Are they outside, do we definitely know that? Honest question, I don't know, figured they'd be inside since they go the entire height. If so, that, to me, is an engineering fail for that building specifically (other lighting uses, like for crown, spire spots, etc., would obviously have to be outside).

I spoke to the LED contractor throughout the install process.

He said the lights and wiring were embedded in the panels and that some were damaged during installation.

At that point, the LED company claimed they could not obtain access to the building maintenance unit (BMU) and then there was a complete falling out with Devon. So much so, they did not finish the final programming of the system.

So, from the outset, there were some window panels that never functioned properly/at all and it never has been resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

He said the lights and wiring were embedded in the panels and that some were damaged during installation.

At that point, the LED company claimed they could not obtain access to the building maintenance unit (BMU) and then there was a complete falling out with Devon. So much so, they did not finish the final programming of the system.

So, from the outset, there were some window panels that never functioned properly/at all and it never has been resolved.
    IIRC that LED company also went out of business

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    IIRC that LED company also went out of business
    They are still around and doing lots of installs:

https://bocaflasher.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Right, I remember all that, so I'm assuming that the "panels" are located inside the building?

Thread Information