Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 484 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121358108 ... LastLast

Thread: Devon Energy Center

Default Re: Devon Tower

Quote Originally Posted by hipsterdoofus View Post
    Uhh that sounds great, but again - you have to realize that the West side is almost full ... with people who helped pay for the garage with their tax dollars. Basically you are saying that its ok for other people in the area to have to walk several blocks to where devon employees USED to be, but devon employees will get to park as close as possible to their building.
    I would bet that Devon and their employees have paid a lot more of their tax dollars than the limited number of people that currently use the space.

I would also bet that the City does pretty well by selling the land and garage to Devon.

So we stop all growth and progress because some library employees lose their parking spaces? I'm not sure you realize how absurd this is. I may have heard it all now.

Quote Originally Posted by Patchy Proot View Post
    Great googaly moogaly! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Na na na na na, na! Thhppppppppt! Take that Tulsa, Dallas, Denver, and all of you others who soon will develop skyscraper envy! YoooooHoooooo!
    Bully for OKC, but since we're still new to the world class city party let's dispense with all the smack talk. Let's act like we belong here or we'll be asked to leave the party before we get through the door. Have some class.

Doug,
    Where can I get my hands on the Presskit, either in pdf, or the raw contents of the CD?

Would you mind uploading that bad boy to zshare.net or something?

I just gotta have my own copy!!!

4. Default Re: Devon Tower

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    Right. When I looked, it was still buried. I'll check again.
    Still buried at #32 for me.

I love the huge park...

I guess the only connection to the Myriad Gardens will be the tunnel.

6. Default Re: Devon Tower

Here are 3 more images from the press kit CD:

Interior Lobby
    Larger image: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49...eriorlobby.jpg

Dining Court
    Larger image: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49...iningcourt.jpg

Park at Southwest Corner
    Larger image: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49...cornerpark.jpg

That should be enough for now ... hell, I haven't even started a blog article yet ... you guys get the scoop!

Quote Originally Posted by proud2Bsooner View Post
    So we stop all growth and progress because some library employees lose their parking spaces? I'm not sure you realize how absurd this is. I may have heard it all now.
    Holy crap - did you not see how I mentioned all the other people that park there? Just because someone contributes less tax dollars, does that make their tax dollars worthless? And no, I'm not saying we should stop all growth and progress - on the contrary - I think we should encourage it by not screwing over people in the park harvey and such.

Many, many thanks to Doug & Steve!!

We all appreciate getting this information before anyone else... It was like being there -- only better.

9. Default Re: Devon Tower

2012 will be an exciting year for Oklahoma City. An NBA team, world-class museum and heritage center, new crosstown (keep your fingers crossed), and the state's tallest skyscraper -- not a bad four year span.
    ...this shortest straw has been pulled for you

10. Default Re: Devon Tower

Thanks for the renderings Doug! I hope you don't mind me putting them up on skyscraperpage and others.

Quote Originally Posted by hipsterdoofus View Post
    Holy crap - did you not see how I mentioned all the other people that park there? Just because someone contributes less tax dollars, does that make their tax dollars worthless? And no, I'm not saying we should stop all growth and progress - on the contrary - I think we should encourage it by not screwing over people in the park harvey and such.
    Then the people that own all the other buildings should have purchased the garage. I'm guessing it is/was all just leased space anyway. Devon is buying it, so Devon gets to chose how it will be used. Plus I'm sure that all of this has been thought out, and all those that currently park in the space will be taken care of. Nichols has been as thoughtful as anyone could be, in my opinion. So why would this one little item (little, compared to everything else affected) be any different.

You're acting as if Devon is just bullying everyone around here. That's clearly not the case. This is silly.

Still buried at #32 for me.
    Yeah it will take a little bit. Emporis Senior Editors have to look at it and then another bunch take a look. It's a long process but sometime this afternoon it should be updated on the public site.

13. Default Re: Devon Tower

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    I love the huge park...

I guess the only connection to the Myriad Gardens will be the tunnel.
    While this will be mentioned after I finish with the graphics and then do my blog article (it will all be in a single post), Larry Nichols did say that the landscape architects who are developing this aspect of the project (I think he said they are located in Portland and Seattle) are assisting the Myriad Gardens people, at Devon's expense, in developing the Myriad Gardens into what it has the potential to be.

I've not taken any time, until now, in commenting upon comments I've read here which aren't so flattering to Devon in this matter. My opinion: you guys are way out of line. If any one thing came out of hearing the whole presentation this morning, in addition to the primary focus (giving Devon workers a great place to work) it was Mr. Nichols' commitment to and focus upon Oklahoma City at large as a principal beneficiary of what Devon is trying to do with this. I was completely persuaded about that, hearing everything.

After the presentation, questions were taken from the audience, and one related to the possibility that Devon might, in the future, be sold or bought out and moved to Houston. Larry Nichols' answer was (pretty much word for word ... I was taking notes) ...

Since 197X [some year in the 1970s, perhaps when he became involved with Devon, I don't know], I never saw a company be bought and move somewhere else unless (1) it had problems, or (2) it wanted to be bought.

We have no problems, and we don't want to be bought.
    The west part of this project, and the rotunda, are completely "public" people places. I'll stop there but will say more when I get my blog article done.

14. Default Re: Devon Tower

Thanks for the renderings Doug! I hope you don't mind me putting them up on skyscraperpage and others.
    Not at all. Anyone is free to use them as they want. I'll add that the images I've shown already were "sized down" for internet purposes ... the images on the CD were much higher resolution than the versions I've stuck in my Photobucket album ... and any others that I'll be adding will all be located in the same place: DougLoudenback/devon_tower - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

There's a lot of stuff in the "paper" part of the press pack that is not on the CD which doesn't include everything that was shown at the meeting. I'll probably scan several of those pages, too, in addition to getting around to the photos I took at the meeting.

Larry Nichols did say that the landscape architects who are developing this aspect of the project (I think he said they are located in Portland and Seattle) are assisting the Myriad Gardens people, at Devon's expense, in developing the Myriad Gardens into what it has the potential to be.
    That is very, very encouraging.

As I've stated many times, the park is vastly underutilized. Can't wait to see what's in store!

16. Default Re: Devon Tower

Quote Originally Posted by soonerfever View Post
    Yeah it will take a little bit. Emporis Senior Editors have to look at it and then another bunch take a look. It's a long process but sometime this afternoon it should be updated on the public site.
    Okay. Gotcha.

17. Default Re: Devon Tower

HOLY COW ITS AWESOME! Now let's all keep our fingers crossed that something doesnt cause them to build smaller in the middle of construction. Everyone remember Leadserhip Square and OneOK's hatchet solution after the oil bust. PLEASE don't let that happen.

I am speechless.

This is so much more grand than I was expecting, I can't even fully process it all.

I can't believe that a building like that will be in my city...

19. Default Re: Devon Tower

What's exciting is this tower going up will act as a catalyst for others to build. It shows OKC is taking off with full thrust, but also adds fuel to the fire and momentum.

I wonder what Aubrey McClendon is think right now with his campus? If AC isn't thinking it I know his employees are. I would love to work in that new building. Anyone know if Devon runs SAP?

21. Default Re: Devon Tower

Aubrey better have some spectacular plans for Nichols Hills Plaza if he wants to top this.

Hopefully it includes a Pinkberry.

22. Default Re: Devon Tower

I'll bet AC and his employees are happy with their campus. There's something to be said about revitalizing a whole area in the city and having the stomping grounds all to yourself.

However, I do think it would be cool to see Chesapeake and Devon compete downtown. I wish Chesapeake would HQ downtown, but they're doing some amazing things in their area, so I give it up to them just like I give it up to Devon. Both figures have done some rockin' things for OKC in the last few years.

23. Default Re: Devon Tower

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Loudenback View Post
    I've not taken any time, until now, in commenting upon comments I've read here which aren't so flattering to Devon in this matter. My opinion: you guys are way out of line. If any one thing came out of hearing the whole presentation this morning, in addition to the primary focus (giving Devon workers a great place to work) it was Mr. Nichols' commitment to and focus upon Oklahoma City at large as a principal beneficiary of what Devon is trying to do with this. I was completely persuaded about that, hearing everything.

I agree. It's ingrates like that which makes us not deserve it. Just like when people bag on CHK to no end despite everything they've done for us.

24. Default Re: Devon Tower

"The west side of the garage is already almost full - I don't find that very fair. If Devon needs 10 floors, they need to build 10 floors on top of the existing 5."

From what I understand, this would be incorrect when describing the west garage. But I'll check into it. Every time I've parked there at least the top floor or two floors were empty.
    -Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Loudenback View Post
    While this will be mentioned after I finish with the graphics and then do my blog article (it will all be in a single post), Larry Nichols did say that the landscape architects who are developing this aspect of the project (I think he said they are located in Portland and Seattle) are assisting the Myriad Gardens people, at Devon's expense, in developing the Myriad Gardens into what it has the potential to be.

After the presentation, questions were taken from the audience, and one related to the possibility that Devon might, in the future, be sold or bought out and moved to Houston. Larry Nichols' answer was (pretty much word for word ... I was taking notes) ...

The west part of this project, and the rotunda, are completely "public" people places. I'll stop there but will say more when I get my blog article done.
    Where will we be able to find your blog article?

Thread Information