Widgets Magazine
Page 460 of 485 FirstFirst ... 360410455456457458459460461462463464465 ... LastLast
Results 11,476 to 11,500 of 12103

Thread: Devon Energy Center

Default Re: Devon Energy Center

Really, it's just Cotter Ranch that is the huge disappointment, which is completely consistent with how they run that building.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Really, it's just Cotter Ranch that is the huge disappointment, which is completely consistent with how they run that building.
    I agree. Is it too much to ask for them to at least fix the LEDs atop the building? One thing that has went backwards over the past few years in OKC is the appearance of the night skyline. It looks dark and dreary, and most of it is because both Sandridge and the Cotter Ranch Tower have turned out their lights.

A lot of other cities have specific requirements/incentives for lighting. I think it is important because it really changes the feel of the city at night. I wonder if something like that could ever work in OKC?

The LED lights on Devon were the subject of a big battle between Hines (builder) and the sub-contractor.

The lighting company claimed they were disadvantaged by the build schedule and they couldn't get access to the unit that lowers window washers (and repair people) down the sides of the building. I believe they just split ways altogether, not even letting the lighting company finish the programming work on the light displays.

Just kind of crazy to have a brand new building and the discussions go so far south that you just say.. Well Screw it this is the best we can do and leave so many lights not working. its one thing not to have it programmed ( which is kind of huge in my opinion ) but to just have portions of it out looks crappy and discounts the entire building in my opinion.

The lighting is programmed, just not by the lighting company as originally planned.

It's so easy to complain when you aren't the one paying the bills. Cotter is a mess, but SD did the prudent thing and shut the lights off.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    It's so easy to complain when you aren't the one paying the bills. Cotter is a mess, but SD did the prudent thing and shut the lights off.
    Sandridge is understandable given the financial shape of the company and the fact they own the building, but the Cotter Ranch Tower is simply because of apathetic ownership. It's still the second most prominent building on the skyline and would benefit from at least some kind of lighting. It wouldn't even have to be anything fancy. Just fix the LEDs or re-light the corners.

The LED lights on Devon were the subject of a big battle between Hines (builder) and the sub-contractor.

So Devon just sign off as fine with them not working?

8. Default Re: Devon Energy Center

Guys, we have a wonderful skyscraper in Devon Tower and I am proud of it and every time I see Oklahoma City on television (and in person). But I have to say when I originally knew that the tower would have LEDs through-out the tower, I had envisioned something completely different than what we currently got.

I love Devon's backlit crown and the side leds are a nice touch, but I actually thought the faces of the building would be LED. I think this is a missed opportunity, check out a wonderful example from the supertall World Financial Centre in the major city of Chongqing (chong-ching) in China - which is what I was expecting of Devon:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chongqing World Financial Centre 2016.jpg 
Views:	2062 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	12742  
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

That glass is expensive, yeesh....

http://kfor.com/2016/11/18/oklahoma-...o-devon-tower/

10. Default Re: Devon Energy Center

I noticed the line of windows when I took my recent skyline shot, but didn't realize what it was supposed to be until someone I was riding with pointed it out. So I guess this is the unofficial holiday "cross" we usually have downtown on our skyscrapers. Not sure if Devon would do official ones with the LED lights. Am I wrong?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	final.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	13283

I saw the crane out of the other day, figured it was just cleaning windows. They must have been installing these. I guess we will find out soon if it lights up.

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    Another moron strikes again.

Name:	devon tower.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	13537 Are the lights out on the tower? it looks like it on this cam.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by _Kyle View Post

Name:	devon tower.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	13537 Are the lights out on the tower? it looks like it on this cam.
    I'm not sure the lights have ever been 100% functional

That's correct. The LED strips have been a disaster since the tower "finished". I hope in the end that Devon paid basically nothing for the lighting, because that contractor dropped the ball big time.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    That's correct. The LED strips have been a disaster since the tower "finished". I hope in the end that Devon paid basically nothing for the lighting, because that contractor dropped the ball big time.
    It is embarrassing to see strips go halfway down, then go black, then light back up, and having it happen on multiple corners at multiple places. Not sure why people/companies here can't build in penalties if sh*t don't work right, or make the contractor come back and fix it. Happens sometimes, but that seems to be the exception, bad work just gets left as is, oh well, whatever, close enough.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    It is embarrassing to see strips go halfway down, then go black, then light back up, and having it happen on multiple corners at multiple places. Not sure why people/companies here can't build in penalties if sh*t don't work right, or make the contractor come back and fix it. Happens sometimes, but that seems to be the exception, bad work just gets left as is, oh well, whatever, close enough.
    Trust me, they can. There either has been, or will be a lawsuit over it. That or Devon didn't pay for it. They are a smart company with great lawyers.

Quote Originally Posted by sbs View Post
    Trust me, they can. There either has been, or will be a lawsuit over it. That or Devon didn't pay for it. They are a smart company with great lawyers.
    Good to hear, but it's been years since it's been finished and nothing's been done so far, must not be a priority for them.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Good to hear, but it's been years since it's been finished and nothing's been done so far, must not be a priority for them.
    Given what's transpired in the industry over the last few years, I have no doubt that it's been a low priority item for them.

Pete had mentioned before that the contractors never were able to finish and fully program the lights. there was a battle for the use of the utility crane. the contractor was not getting enough use of the crane to properly finish programming ect. so work stopped.. I will have to look back at the thread but it was something like that. its disappointing for sure because it could have been much nicer instead of half assed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    Pete had mentioned before that the contractors never were able to finish and fully program the lights. there was a battle for the use of the utility crane. the contractor was not getting enough use of the crane to properly finish programming ect. so work stopped.. I will have to look back at the thread but it was something like that. its disappointing for sure because it could have been much nicer instead of half assed.
    I'll take it half assed as opposed to no ass at all.

Quote Originally Posted by bellaboo View Post
    i'll take it half assed as opposed to no ass at all.

Blog Entries

I understand needing the crane to repair lights but I don't understand needing the crane to program lights.

There was a dispute between Devon and the LED contractor where the contractor claimed some of the lighting panels were damaged during installation then they could not gain access to the building maintenance unit, the massive crane atop the building used for window washing and other maintenance.

When things broke down between them, Devon decided they would just do the programming themselves, obviously without much expertise in this area.

Never been a big fan of the lighting strips. Just illuminate the crown in various colors or the standard and I'm happy!

Thread Information