Widgets Magazine
Page 351 of 485 FirstFirst ... 251301346347348349350351352353354355356401451 ... LastLast
Results 8,751 to 8,775 of 12103

Thread: Devon Energy Center

Default Re: Devon Energy Center (Devon Tower)

Quote Originally Posted by ZYX2 View Post
    A couple months ago there was a 105 story tower proposed for Tulsa.
    I don't want to get off topic but can you go into more detail because I never heard anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by mrktguy29 View Post
    (The Devon tower construction lights give off a blue tone in this shot, hopefully the LEDs will compensate once complete.)
    Interesting I just made that connection about the constructions lights. It looks so much more intriguing than the white lights on the lower portion of the tower. But I do see the LEDs making on overall better statement.

I would love to believe that about a 1400 foot tower but I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by ZYX2 View Post
    A couple months ago there was a 105 story tower proposed for Tulsa.
    Was that proposed by the Tulsa Olympics Commiittee? ;-)

Blog Entries

I read an article yesterday that cited an unhealthy correlation between skyscraper building and financial crashes (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16494013) and I thought, not in OKC. But, as cool as it would look, if we went and built a 1400 foot tower, I might worry more about that correlation in the article... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I read an article yesterday that cited an unhealthy correlation between skyscraper building and financial crashes (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16494013) and I thought, not in OKC. But, as cool as it would look, if we went and built a 1400 foot tower, I might worry more about that correlation in the article... :-)
    That article is an unholy mess.

The Empire State Building was started after the Great Depression was under way, making it an exceedingly odd choice to be the lead example of skyscrapers as leading indicators of financial crashes.

The Equitable Building was completed in 1870, not 1873, and thus preceded the 1873-79 recession by 3 years, rather than coincicidng with it.

The author seems to be unable to decide if the thesis is that tall buildings are a leading indicator of recessions or occur coincidental with them.

Since the constructtion of the first skyscraper, new tall buildings have been built moe or less continuously. From time to time we also have recessions. It should come as no surprise, then, that one can find skyscrapers built shortly before and/or coincidental with a number of recessions.

More interesting is the Curse of the New Headquarters. http://www.businessinsider.com/poorl...arters-2009-11

Blog Entries

Wow, that IS rather disconcerting. Though surely there are at least as many examples of companies that built new HQs and lived happily ever after...

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Wow, that IS rather disconcerting. Though surely there are at least as many examples of companies that built new HQs and lived happily ever after...
    Exactly, but they won't mention that because it isn't pertinent to the intent of their story.

9. Default Re: Devon Energy Center (Devon Tower)

Quote Originally Posted by redrunner View Post

Someone posted this on CHK's facebook page. Looks amazing.
    there are no cranes. they go half way up and disappear....a little photo manipulation.

Quote Originally Posted by fromdust View Post
    there are no cranes. they go half way up and disappear....a little photo manipulation.
    Yes, but it's a good sneak peek at what it will look like without the cranes.

Quote Originally Posted by mrktguy29 View Post
    I just keep looking at this shot and love it! Lots of Thunder blue!! (The Devon tower construction lights give off a blue tone in this shot, hopefully the LEDs will compensate once complete.)

Great view of the Skyline without Chase and SandRidge towers. (OKC@Heart we're on the same frequency tonight)
    Very cool, but remind you this is photoshopped.

Quote Originally Posted by redrunner View Post
    Interesting I just made that connection about the constructions lights. It looks so much more intriguing than the white lights on the lower portion of the tower. But I do see the LEDs making on overall better statement.
    Again, Photoshop is a photographers friend.....the tinted glass and other blue reflections also help give the "cool" effect, but photoshop really makes this pop, it's not the lights.

Quote Originally Posted by fromdust View Post
    Quite a bit actually...Definitely heightened the blues in this picture big time.

But it's still a pretty sweet picture.

Has me wondering what a person could do with photoshop to tweak this same image for a bedlam night bball game downtown.

That's a cool black and white, but I still prefer the Thunder Blue rendition...

^^Me too,but both are from the same website I posted.There are some damn good pics on that page!

17. Default Re: Devon Energy Center (Devon Tower)

Sorry I'm just now posting this. From the RetroMetroOKC January meeting on Film Row.

January 9 2012

18. Default Re: Devon Energy Center (Devon Tower)

About the picture (with lots of blue), I think the person who took that picture (most likely stole from elsewhere), executed extremely poor decision to erase the crane out of the picture. The crane is what one of most attractive features and a symbol of growth. Hell, the lights on it is attractive in any pictures. Fail grade to the original person posting that picture (on another forum, right?).

The black 'n white represent OKC's Twilight Zone, nice job, real nice picture.

^^WHAT?Both of those pics are from the same site and the erasing You talk about is called photoshoping.

20. Default Re: Devon Energy Center (Devon Tower)

Quote Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
    ^^WHAT?Both of those pics are from the same site and the erasing You talk about is called photoshoping.
    I don't know what site, but I'm talking about the action of whoever did the photoshopping. Enhancing a picture is fine, but altering the fact in a picture is dishonest. What is so wrong about having a crane in a picture?! Ultimately, the picture was ruined with half of a crane on the building, which critics will take notice. Just saying... No one should erase a crane out of a picture like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I don't know what site, but I'm talking about the action of whoever did the photoshopping. Enhancing a picture is fine, but altering the fact in a picture is dishonest. What is so wrong about having a crane in a picture?! Ultimately, the picture was ruined with half of a crane on the building, which critics will take notice. Just saying... No one should erase a crane out of a picture like that.
    I agree Thunder and I did not mean to call you out,it's just sometimes I have trouble understanding what you are trying to say.In my own opinion,the sight of cranes in a city's skyline reflects growth and I Love the sight of cranes!

22. Default Re: Devon Energy Center (Devon Tower)

Quote Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
    I agree Thunder and I did not mean to call you out,it's just sometimes I have trouble understanding what you are trying to say.In my own opinion,the sight of cranes in a city's skyline reflects growth and I Love the sight of cranes!
    Whew. Yes, the sight of cranes are beautiful in any city, especially for OKC. We have people on here suffering withdrawal when the first crane went down.

Lol

24. Default Re: Devon Energy Center (Devon Tower)

The funny thing is never noticed the cranes gone. I've got so use to looking at the tower and imagining the cranes not there that it didnt even phase me and I am a graphic designer who uses photoshop daily. I typically see a photoshopped picture and totally call it out.

To all those wondering about the pipe dream tower for Tulsa, I will post something in more detail in the Tulsa section of the forum tomorrow afternoon/evening. Trust me it will never happen....

No need to worry OKC! :-)

Thread Information