Widgets Magazine
Page 331 of 485 FirstFirst ... 231281326327328329330331332333334335336381431 ... LastLast
Results 8,251 to 8,275 of 12103

Thread: Devon Energy Center

Default Re: Devon Energy Center (Devon Tower)

I saw some odd lighting on the north side crown this morning when coming to work. It will be interesting to see that at night. It seemed like regular incandescent lighting spaced evenly in an almost grid pattern. Not the bright construction lights we are used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike63 View Post
    I saw some odd lighting on the north side crown this morning when coming to work. It will be interesting to see that at night. It seemed like regular incandescent lighting spaced evenly in an almost grid pattern. Not the bright construction lights we are used to.
    I'm not sure if you're talking about the same ones but on the crown on the SW side they've had some lights similar to the ones you described for about 2 or 3 weeks now, maybe longer. Perhaps they're installing or have already installed them on the north side?

Quote Originally Posted by MDot View Post
    Dude, like seriously dude? I had no idea dude. Wow dude, you're like my hero dude. I'm gonna start callin you dude, is that okay dude?

Just asking though dude, I like, don't wanna hurt your feelings man..... Legalize marijuana muddafudda so I won't be like breaking the law no more, dude. ROCK ON BRO!!!! Tahahaha
    Cool, like dude i'm your hero dude, awesome dude. cool cool dude, hey dude, dude dude, yo dude, he he he dude, its like overkill dude and your missing the whole point dude, and dude like cool. If the politician reason was real, then that would be EVERY stinkin' city in America and beyond as their nickname. come on man

Quote Originally Posted by Dulahey View Post
    Most wind, as it flows across the plains, goes west to east. With rare exceptions of course. The lake is east of Chicago, so rarely would the wind actually be blowing across the lake into the city. Now if it was blowing straight south, you could argue that kind of does it. But seems unlikely to create a nickname.

I've also always heard it was because of politicians.
    If it was because of politicians, then EVERY city would have that as a nickname.

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    Yeah, dude. Totally. Right on. Let's get real.

Anyway, the origins of the nickname are heavily disputed and after doing some research I'll admit that I might have been wrong, but some still hold that Chicago is called the windy city because of the "long-winded" politicians that argued for the state fair to be held in Chicago. It is not ridiculous considering Chicago is not a particularly windy city. But... whatever, dude.
    I'm very amused that you like the dude thing. he he and I appreciate that you admitted that you were wrong, because you WERE, however i can and do understand how it might of been for the "long-winded" politicians arguing about the state fair thing.

Anyways,back to the Devon Tower!I have noticed those multiple sets of light on the crown every morning and always noticed what they are?Maybe construction flood lights so they can work at night?

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerAce311 View Post
    Cool, like dude i'm your hero dude, awesome dude. cool cool dude, hey dude, dude dude, yo dude, he he he dude, its like overkill dude and your missing the whole point dude, and dude like cool. If the politician reason was real, then that would be EVERY stinkin' city in America and beyond as their nickname. come on man
    Trust me, it's not that I missed your point, it's that I just don't care about your point. I prefer to talk about the Devon Tower in the Devon Tower thread. I'll give you credit though, atleast you know why Chicago is named the Windy City....

Quote Originally Posted by Dulahey View Post
    Most wind, as it flows across the plains, goes west to east. With rare exceptions of course. The lake is east of Chicago, so rarely would the wind actually be blowing across the lake into the city. Now if it was blowing straight south, you could argue that kind of does it. But seems unlikely to create a nickname.

I've also always heard it was because of politicians.
    Having sat in Wrigley Field during opening week I can attest that the winds can come into the stadium from the east, and that time of year they can be pretty cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Yes, and it looks as if quite a bit of glass has gone up.
    Where are our photographers at?

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    Where are our photographers at?
    I go over to skyscrapercity and the Devon thread has some great photos over there......not sure where these people are getting them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerAce311 View Post
    If it was because of politicians, then EVERY city would have that as a nickname.
    So if cities' nicknames were based on website posters we might be proclaimed "The A.D.D City" or the "I love to argue about stupid things city" or even "The Ignore Facts City".

Is there a way someone can take a picture of the Oklahoma City skyline at night, like what you see when News 9 at 10pm first comes on?.. when the guy says "This is Oklahoma's Own, News 9 in High Dedfinition".

I do not know who took this pic!I found it searching Google!

^^Two more towers above 600'ft would make our skyline look pretty strong!

Looks like someone took it from a plane landing at the airport and you can tell it was taken awhile back because the crown wasn't finished and the glass isn't up to high.

I'm bettin it's from William (UnFrSaKn).

This is out of pure curiosity but what are the odds Oklahoma City will get a 1,000+ ft tower within the next 25-30 years? Don't insist I'm crazy, I just started wondering about this.

{Sorry for derailing the Devon Tower thread but I don't know where else to put this and I don't want to look up a thread for this that may not exist.}

When you consider the number of 1000 foot + structures built in the entire US throughout history, I'd say the odds are under 10 percent.

500+ I'd say pretty strong, 1000+ odds are very slim for any city except NYC or Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    500+ I'd say pretty strong, 1000+ odds are very slim for any city except NYC or Chicago.
    I agree with that. It would be nice to see a 1,000+ ft built here but it's highly unrealistic unless a handfull of large companies relocated to OKC or one of the companies located here has a hiring boom at their HQ's and built downtown needing a building that tall but I put the chances of either of those scenarios under 5% and that's me being optimistic putting the chances that high.

I hope OKC never gets a 1000 foot tower. Seeing how Devon Tower already dominates the skyline I would have prefered that it been built as two towers (or even more).

I agree with that. It would be nice to see a 1,000+ ft built here but it's highly unrealistic unless a handfull of large companies relocated to OKC or one of the companies located here has a hiring boom at their HQ's and built downtown needing a building that tall but I put the chances of either of those scenarios under 5% and that's me being optimistic putting the chances that high.
    Chesapeake could do it..6,000 or so employees.....but with the way the have the campus structure, they probably won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I hope OKC never gets a 1000 foot tower. Seeing how Devon Tower already dominates the skyline I would have prefered that it been built as two towers (or even more).
    Just cause the Devon Tower dominates the skyline now doesn't mean it will in 10 years or even 5 years cause there's no telling what all could get built and how soon so don't think of it in that sense, think of it as if we got a skyline like Philadelphia and then we built a 1,000 ft about 25 years down the road. Philadelphia has had a few planned over 1,000 ft but they've all been cancelled, even the most recent one (can't remember the name), so it's not like 1,000 ft buildings are never considered, it's just that a huge chunk of them get cancelled. Heck, there was even an almost 7,000 ft in the planning stages to be built in Houston but they scratched that idea at some point and it was probably a good thing cause their tallest is just over 1,000 ft tall and that would SERIOUSLY stand out.

And I'm not comparing Oklahoma City to Philadelphia cause God knows Philadelphia is one of the premier cities of America and Oklahoma City is just a small city in the heartland, I'm just using Philadelphia's skyline as an example. But I do agree that Devon sticks out quite a bit now but it won't always stick out as taller towers are built here, hopefully.

We just need SandRidge to build a 600 footer for the one planned in 2014 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Chesapeake could do it..6,000 or so employees.....but with the way the have the campus structure, they probably won't.
    That's why I worded it to say "hiring boom at their HQ's and built downtown." Lol because Chesapeake could easily build a 1,000 ft but they're going for the campus style and have stated that they don't plan on going DT.

That's why I worded it to say "hiring boom at their HQ's and built downtown." Lol because Chesapeake could easily build a 1,000 ft but they're going for the campus style and have stated that they don't plan on going DT.
    I've heard interviews with AKM and he states he just loves downtown, hince the boathouse, finish line tower and now the arena name. I kind of wonder if they might do something some day. A few years back, they bought the PierOne 22 story tower in Ft Woth, so maybe he's not opposed to tall buildings.

Thread Information