Widgets Magazine

Thread: Lake Overholser Boathouse

Default Lake Overholser Boathouse

The Route 66 Boathouse is having its grand opening sponsored by the Northwest Chamber on Tuesday August 25th.
    This sounds like a great addition to those people who live in West OKC. Click here for details. http://wimgo.com/events/90678/ribbon...lser-boathouse
    There will also be an open house on Saturday August 22th http://wimgo.com/events/87315/open-h...e-66-boathouse
    This link makes it sound as if the boathouse is already open but I am not sure of that. http://wimgo.com/venue/42975/route-66-boathouse

Default Re: Lake Overholser Boathouse

I wish there was a picture!

Thanks for the info CCOKC. I live just a few blocks away from there and have noticed some activity around the old boathouse recently but wasnt aware that it was opening or already open. I ride my bike out there at least once a week and must have tunnel vision when I ride by the boathouse...that or Im too concentrated on looking for cats (gatos) while riding through that part of the trails. (They like to run in front of me which can lead to a wreck).

The whole idea sounds awesome....especially for me since I live so close. YAY!!! One thing for sure is that they need to get some water back in that part of the river. Ive been out there several times the last few weeks taking pics of storms, and sitting out there watching meteors wednesday evening. The river bed has been nearly dry for 2-3 weeks. I dont know if they are diverting the water into Hefner, Canton or what but theres no possibility of floating anything there right now (I havent checked today). Ill try to swing by and take some pics of the facilities......and will definitely take advantage of the coming open house. Sounds like fun. Especially the guided tours through Stinchcomb. Thanks again.

Great! Pics would be appreciated.

I took these pics of the building that will be the route 66 boathouse, the surrounding area and the white boat storage building on the other side of the river (I'm not sure if they plan to utilize the storage building). The river was down when I took these so the dock is not floating. Hopefully they will raise the river level by Tuesday.

Route 66 Boathouse | Slideshow

Also east lake overholser drive is closed for construction at 23rd so if you plan on going use either 30th, 36th, or turning onto overholser from 39th. Below are some more pics I took of the lake and of Route 66 park. Does anyone know it they plan to reopen the 66 bridge, or leave it closed and use it specifically as a bike/walking trail?

Lake Overholser and Route 66 Park | Slideshow

Thanks! Great pics.

That looks great! I can't believe they've fixed it up so nice in the past 9 years since I left.

Their new website and blog sites are up:

Route 66 Boathouse - Lake Overholser

Route 66 Boathouse

And CCOKC the open house is now listed as the 29th.

Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Okie View Post
    That looks great! I can't believe they've fixed it up so nice in the past 9 years since I left.
    When I was growing up lake Overholser wasnt the kind of place you'd take the family to. I'm sure anyone over 40 remembers what it used to be like. lol
    Wall to wall parties....and conspicious cars with fogged up windows. hmmm.

On a recent bike ride around the lake I was amazed how quiet it was. It was a beautiful Saturday morning, the sky was blue, light winds, cool for August, and there wasnt hardly anyone at the lake. I started thinking about the differences between Hefner and Overholser. Hefner (which I love) is for the serious athlete type biker that zooms around fast enough to blow your socks off. Ive almost got hit several times riding there. Hefner has restaurants and bars, a nice (crowded) park, wind surfing, a RC plane field and an interstate running past it. All in all a very urban setting.

Overholser still has that out in the country feel to it. Mature trees, an old school dam, lakeside homes, Route 66, Route 66 park, llamas, Stinchcomb nature preserve..... and a river runs through it. Very peaceful and quiet. More for the picnic and wildlife watching crowd. And bikers like me who refuse to buy spandex!!

I just wanted to bump this thread to remind everyone that their open house is tomorrow, Saturday August 29th from 9am to 5pm and will offer free kayaking, dragon boating and bicycle rentals throughout the day. The boathouse is located on the east shore of Lake Overholser at 3115 E. Overholser Drive. The weather is supposed to be beautiful so if you get a chance stop by. I plan to.

Well I didnt make it by for the grand opening as planned. However I did get a couple of pics (drive-by pics) taken later in the evening while there were still a few boaters out. I would have taken more pics but the whiney butts I was with were hungry and wanted dinner. Sorry for the bad quality of pics.....they dont do the event justice. Also there was a short story in the Oklahoman yesterday about the boathouse. The link is below.

boathouse grand opening | Slideshow

NewsOK

Lakes Overholser and Hefner compliment one another with the former being more of a peaceful, natural place, and the latter being an active, entertainment destination. I don't think that was ever the plan, but isn't it great that this is what we ended up with?

I had every intention of making the ribbon cutting last Tuesday or the open house on Saturday but I spent the last week sick in bed. My office is about a mile and a half away from there and I will try to get by there after I catch up from missing a week of work.

Thread Information