Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: smoking in the park

Default smoking in the park

Tobacco smoke:

Well, its okay at the public golf course that is losing money, but not at any other parks.

My guess is that this ordinance is trendy, but 90% unenforceable. If that is the case, why bother?

Default Re: smoking in the park

Well, Norman has that "Parking Enforcement" person (and car) that gives people parking tickets. Now, they need a car that says "Smoking Enforcement".....and someone to give smoking tickets.

as a non-smoker, I'd support it!

just stop smoking and you wont have to worry about it.

Save your money, your lungs and the people around you from having to take their clothes to the dry cleaners every time they go out.

6. Default Re: smoking in the park

Bleh its outside. Do what you want, just dont blow it in my face.

I think it is just another useless law that will tie up police when ever they could be patrolling the area busting real criminals.

It takes approximately 2-3 minutes to smoke a cigarette. Norman PD will get called out to the park every time a Deanna Doright soccer mom sees someone smoking. By the time they arrrive the smoker will have put the cigarette out and deny it. Not to mention how many people are going to show up in court as witness on a smoking complaint? 0.

Seriously, I think people need to stop whining about the small stuff. At some point we need to police ourselves and let law enforcement focus on the real crimes.

If people just applied a little common courtesy and commons sense to their lives the world would be a better place.

Useless law.

Waste of time.

Waste of money.

I think the intent is to avoid having smokers close by people who might be playing sport, jogging or riding bikes. In that respect, it is not a waste of time nor money.

I'm guessing it will become self-regulating or be afraid of those soccer moms.

Yet another example of what happens when the folks who ran the av lab in junior high grow up and get into office

QUOTE=kevinpate;237146]Yet another example of what happens when the folks who ran the av lab in junior high grow up and get into office[/QUOTE]
    [

12. Default Re: smoking in the park

I'm glad Norman put this law into effect, at least when I go ride my bike or take a walk at the park I won't be subjected to the stench of cigarette smoke coming from someone sitting 200 yards away on a windy day. Definitely not a waste of time or money, if people want to kill their lungs that's fine, don't subject non-smokers to the same. It's a proven fact that second-hand smoke can be just as deadly if not even more than smoking a cigarette. Does it seem I'm extremely intolerant of cigarette smoke? You bet I am.

Quote Originally Posted by OUman View Post
    I'm glad Norman put this law into effect, at least when I go ride my bike or take a walk at the park I won't be subjected to the stench of cigarette smoke coming from someone sitting 200 yards away on a windy day. Definitely not a waste of time or money, if people want to kill their lungs that's fine, don't subject non-smokers to the same. It's a proven fact that second-hand smoke can be just as deadly if not even more than smoking a cigarette. Does it seem I'm extremely intolerant of cigarette smoke? You bet I am.
    I am an ex-smoker and "should" be a smoke nazi like yourself but I know your info on secondhand smoke is udder horse hockey. You sound like a giant, intolerant wuss to me. Just wondering if you support those who want to ban perfume use in public or the use of peanuts in ANY foods.

14. Default Re: smoking in the park

Quote Originally Posted by USG '60 View Post
    I am an ex-smoker and "should" be a smoke nazi like yourself but I know your info on secondhand smoke is udder horse hockey. You sound like a giant, intolerant wuss to me. Just wondering if you support those who want to ban perfume use in public or the use of peanuts in ANY foods.
    Ahh so resorting to personal attacks is the in-thing these days, but then again discussion forums are not immune either, so I digress.

Read the medical journals, the experts' opinions, heck even heart doctors have said that second-hand smoke is bad. Unless of course you think what they have to say is actually utter horse-hockey as well.

I eat everything, but then again someone eating peanuts isn't going to affect someone allergic to them unless the allergic person eats those peanuts as well. And perfume isn't known to affect people either, but cigarette smoke has. If you're an ex-smoker, good for you. Too bad you took my rant personally, it's not that I hate cigarette smokers or anything, I hate cigarette smoke.

Almost all public places in California -- including beaches and parks -- have banned smoking. Been that way for quite some time.

It's not so much about police running around enforcing the law; it's more about changing the behavior of people. If they know they aren't supposed to do it, most won't.

Works very well here and you rarely see anyone trying to enforce the laws.

Is drinking in the parks, like beer, banned in Norman?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Is drinking in the parks, like beer, banned in Norman?
    not that i've ever known

As a rule, it seems to me that okc goes out of its way to make the parks people-unfriendly. i was once given a ticket for practiing bb at night which were my off hours; i've been hassled by police for chatting with friends because the police had convinced themselves it was a gay hookup, the parks are closed and gated because of the hour, roads are permanently blocked, entrances and exits the same. so what is the point of having parks if we can't get together there and enjoy the open space? and now, they don't want me to smoke there; let's just sell them to developers and drop the issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Almost all public places in California -- including beaches and parks -- have banned smoking. Been that way for quite some time.

It's not so much about police running around enforcing the law; it's more about changing the behavior of people. If they know they aren't supposed to do it, most won't.

Works very well here and you rarely see anyone trying to enforce the laws.
    There you go. It is self enforcing everywhere it is implemented that I have seen as well. No police required, just societial pressure, and even most smokers are nice folks who obey the rules.

You guys "whining" about the law are just as whiney as the ones you are saying are whining about the smokers.

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC Instructor View Post
    TYou guys "whining" about the law are just as whiney as the ones you are saying are whining about the smokers.
    So, what about you guys whining about those whining about the laws?

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    So, what about you guys whining about those whining about the laws?
    Case in point: Pretty silly when you get right down to it, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC Instructor View Post
    Case in point: Pretty silly when you get right down to it, huh?
    Indeed.

Okay. If a jogger 200 yards away from a smoker can detect cigarette smoke, which is by then what, around 2 parts per kajillion, then I want you to be on the next K9 training facility because your sense of smell is impressive.

Let's be honest, just how life threatening is it to be 200 yards away from a smoker versus, say...breathing carbon monoxide on a daily basis in traffic?

I would hate to think how you would be affected by a fellow jogger/biker in front of you letting one rip.

Ruh oh. Don't want to give him any ideas on another law.

This law is proof we have way too many people that were raised spoiled and still live a spolied brat life. They think everyone has to obey their every wish and command.

At some point you have to learn to adapt to the world. You have to understand that you control what bothers you. It is not the government's and society's reponsiblity to see to it you have a stress free life.

You can always choose to ignore something or better yet move to another area. Common courtesy is a two way street. Sometimes it's better for you to take action and leave the offending person alone.

Quote Originally Posted by oneforone View Post
    They think everyone has to obey their every wish and command.
    Which is one more reason to run for office...

Thread Information