Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Historic Capitol Hill

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default Historic Capitol Hill

I've got the pictures part of an article done now ...
    Doug Dawgz Blog: Historic Capitol Hlll.
    I'll be adding quite a bit of text in the next few days
    but I've pretty much exhausted the photos I could
    find which I thought worthwhile to include ...
    I left out some gas stations, etc., but not much.

Have a look and see if you have suggestions
    as to how the layout or photos might be improved,
    certainly if I've gotten anything wrong. If any of
    you have photos to add, I'd be more than glad
    to do so. Just let me know.

Enjoy!

Default Re: Historic Capitol Hill

Oh my gosh....you've got it nailed dude...that would be great....I do however think you should check the date on the Kress Store.....the current building (houses DHS) was a reopen in about '63....My mother worked there during the Grand Opening....I do have a brick from the Old REDSKIN Theater that I would give up if that is anything of value...just let me know....Anyone reading this should definitely take the time to enjoy the work that Doug has done on Capitol Hill research. Come Saturday if you have the time like for you to meet the group....We enjoy ourselves..Generals64:......see ya next time...

3. Default Re: Historic Capitol Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    Oh my gosh....you've got it nailed dude...that would be great....I do however think you should check the date on the Kress Store.....the current building (houses DHS) was a reopen in about '63....My mother worked there during the Grand Opening....I do have a brick from the Old REDSKIN Theater that I would give up if that is anything of value...just let me know....Anyone reading this should definitely take the time to enjoy the work that Doug has done on Capitol Hill research. Come Saturday if you have the time like for you to meet the group....We enjoy ourselves..Generals64:......see ya next time...
    The date on Kress came from several Oklahoman articles (I think - I may have been relying on dates of pics at the OHS website which I've found to be wrong, sometimes) but I'll double check just to be sure.

About Saturday, Steve has invited me to come along with him so, yes, I'll be there and I look forward to meeting you guys! Maybe southside will rub off on me, who can say?

When I get back to the text part of the blog article that is not yet done, it has occurred to me to wonder out loud if one or both of Rodney Dangerfield's parents may have lived there ... you know, "I ain't got no respect."

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Loudenback View Post
    The date on Kress came from several Oklahoman articles (I think - I may have been relying on dates of pics at the OHS website which I've found to be wrong, sometimes) but I'll double check just to be sure.

About Saturday, Steve has invited me to come along with him so, yes, I'll be there and I look forward to meeting you guys! Maybe southside will rub off on me, who can say?

When I get back to the text part of the blog article that is not yet done, it has occurred to me to wonder out loud if one or both of Rodney Dangerfield's parents may have lived there ... you know, "I ain't got no respect."
    Do you get that impression from "our" comments or words of others?

Just curios.

I'll be there saturday as well.

5. Default Re: Historic Capitol Hill

Well, actually, I was thinking of some of your comments.

Well, actually, I was thinking of some of your comments.
    That's okay

7. Default Re: Historic Capitol Hill

Generals64, following up on Kress point, here are a pair of Oklahoman articles/ads ...

November 10, 1960

March 29, 1961

That seems to nail Kress' opening in late 1960, don't you think (per the OHS photos that I copied in the article).

8. Default Re: Historic Capitol Hill

As a matter of fact, I love frito chili pies and frosted root beers and have for decades ... I've eaten many fine lunches in the Capitol Hill area, though mostly long ago, and I cannot remember the names of them. You guys will help me out with that, I am sure!

That aside, the store was initially a Kress. Did that change to TG&Y? When?

I've added a good bit of text to the article even though it's undone, but I'm going to stop for the night. More to follow.

I'm guessing that PapaOU might look just a little like the guy whose picture appears below the downtown floats in my blog article ... I look forward to meeting all of you and having some fun.

As a matter of fact, I love frito chili pies and frosted root beers and have for decades ... I've eaten many fine lunches in the Capitol Hill area, though mostly long ago, and I cannot remember the names of them. You guys will help me out with that, I am sure!

That aside, the store was initially a Kress. Did that change to TG&Y? When?

I've added a good bit of text to the article even though it's undone, but I'm going to stop for the night. More to follow.

I'm guessing that PapaOU might look just a little like the guy whose picture appears below the downtown floats in my blog article ... I look forward to meeting all of you and having some fun.

No, I think that Kress and Co. was feeling the "Heat" that was coming in every direction. K-Mart (Kresge Co.) had moved into Oklahoma (Tulsa) and everyone was a little "Spooked" about the new concept of Discount merchandising. I'll try and talk to one of the "Old"...TG&Y guys tomorrow and ask him what was going on during this time. Kress shut down the store in Capitol Hill and the building sat vacant for some time and then the State Services took it over. I remember going into the store and riding the escalator downstairs but, that was about it. I was too enamored
    with TG&Y to really think anyone could create a retail problem with TG&Y...Still think that TG&Y could be "fighting" with the Big Boys had the parent company not sold them off. another story another time.....See ya next time:....Generals64...

From Wikipedia:

Tiendas Kress is a Puerto Rican chain of stores dedicated in particular to the sales of women's clothes. Tiendas Kress has about 50 stores countrywide in Puerto Rico.

After being founded in the 1950s, massive expansion took place during the 1970s. The 1980s saw the arrival of the Kress Kids line and other Kress trademarks. Kress was one of the stores that opened at Plaza las Americas before the shopping center expanded into the Caribbean's largest mall in 1980.

Tiendas Kress is a derivate of S. H. Kress & Co., or Kress Stores, an American five and dime chain.

Tiendas Kress was never affected by the economic problems that led to their parent company's demise in 1981.

11. Default Re: Historic Capitol Hill

In continuing my Capitol Hill research, one of if not the most interesting (to me, at least) stories to come out of the 1900s was/is the story associated with one of Capitol Hill's ex officio mayors, H.C. Schilling.

So, I decided to make a separate article about him called Doug Dawgz Blog: The Curious Case of H.C. Schilling.

Go there to read about the developer of East Capitol Hill and Capitol Hill's mayor from 1905 until he was removed from office in 1907.

12. Default Re: Historic Capitol Hill

Here are some additional photos I took on Saturday, May 16, which will be incorporated into my main Capitol Hill article:

210-214 Commerce

Larger: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49...10_214sw25.jpg

222 Commerce

Larger: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49...ch_222sw25.jpg

228 Commerce

Larger: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49...ch_228sw25.jpg

Davis Building (I didn't write down the address, but 119 Commerce, I think)

Larger: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49...isbuilding.jpg

Questions for you Capitol Hill buffs: judging by the above photos, 1928 must have been a building year for Capitol Hill. Questions for you:

1. Are you able to confirm that?
    2. Why was 1928 particularly significant?

I'll be researching the Oklahoman archives for Capitol Hill in the 1920s shortly, but I thought you might be able to give me a heads up.

Mount Saint Marys

Larger: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49...h_msmarys2.jpg

Larger: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49...h_msmarys1.jpg

Sacred Heart Catholic Church

Larger: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49...acredheart.jpg

Concerning Mount St. Mary's, the January 19, 1904, Daily Oklahoma article below said that it would be the largest structure in Oklahoma Territory, when completed:

As to the Catholic endeavors, I found some articles indicating that a school for men studying for the priesthood was to be built. For example, a March 23, 1906, Daily Oklahoman article appears below:

That could possibly relate to the addition where Mt. St. Mary's is located being called "College Hill Addition." But I have been unable to locate any articles or other source material indicating that such a facility was ever done. Possibly, it was included as part of Sacred Heart, but that's just a hypothetical guess on my part.

Question for Capitol Hill buffs: Do you known anything about such a seminary and if it was ever built?

For quick reference, the questions I pose to you Capitol Hill buffs are:

1. Are you able to confirm that 1928 was an unusually significant building year for Capitol Hill?
    3. Did the Catholic seminary ever get built?

Here are some additional photos I took on Saturday, May 16, which will be incorporated into my main Capitol Hill article:

210-214 Commerce

Larger: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49...10_214sw25.jpg

222 Commerce

Larger: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49...ch_222sw25.jpg

228 Commerce

Larger: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49...ch_228sw25.jpg

Davis Building (I didn't write down the address, but 119 Commerce, I think)

Larger: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49...isbuilding.jpg

Questions for you Capitol Hill buffs: judging by the above photos, 1928 must have been a building year for Capitol Hill. Questions for you:

1. Are you able to confirm that?

I'll be researching the Oklahoman archives for Capitol Hill in the 1920s shortly, but I thought you might be able to give me a heads up.

Mount Saint Marys

Larger: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49...h_msmarys2.jpg

Larger: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49...h_msmarys1.jpg

Sacred Heart Catholic Church

Larger: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49...acredheart.jpg

Concerning Mount St. Mary's, the January 19, 1904, Daily Oklahoma article below said that it would be the largest structure in Oklahoma Territory, when completed:

As to the Catholic endeavors, I found some articles indicating that a school for men studying for the priesthood was to be built. For example, a March 23, 1906, Daily Oklahoman article appears below:

That could possibly relate to the addition where Mt. St. Mary's is located being called "College Hill Addition." But I have been unable to locate any articles or other source material indicating that such a facility was ever done. Possibly, it was included as part of Sacred Heart, but that's just a hypothetical guess on my part.

Question for Capitol Hill buffs: Do you known anything about such a seminary and if it was ever built?

For quick reference, the questions I pose to you Capitol Hill buffs are:

1. Are you able to confirm that 1928 was an unusually significant building year for Capitol Hill?
    3. Did the Catholic seminary ever get built?
    The seminary was not built. Don't know why.
    Can't help you on the dates.

14. Default Re: Historic Capitol Hill

I'd still like more answers to the above questions from any that know.

In the meantime, I'm going to take a few more pics today particularly of any public school buildings that still exist. Here is my current list of public schools which would be located within the 1910 boundaries:

1. Lee Elementary (424 SW 29) 1910-today
    2. Capitol Hill Jr. High (now elementary, 2717 S. Robinson) 1921-today
    3. Capitol Hill Sr. High (500 SW 36th) 1928-29 - today
    4. Shields Heights Elementary (301 SE 38), 1911-2003 or so
    5. Wheeler Elementary (501 SE 25) 1910-today
    6. Lafayette Elementary (500 SW 44) 1928-2003 (technically, on the south side of SW 44th, not in Capitol Hill but close enough to count)

Have I missed any public schools?

how about...

heronville elementary, 1240 sw 29th (se corner of 29th & blackwelder)
    shidler elementary, 1415 s. byers (just north of capitol hill, so maybe this doesn't count)

-M

Wheeler, 501 se 25th. I am not sure of the date and it is in the East Capitol Hill/Schilling Addition. Shidler, mentioned by mmm would also fall under the same addition.

17. Default Re: Historic Capitol Hill

mmm and papaOU,

I'm intending to include every school in or very close to the 1910 boundaries of Capitol Hill ... which includes all of Capitol Hill as it stood when annexed by Oklahoma City in 1909-1910 ... see the 1910 map below. So that would include schools outside the 1910 boundaries, such as Capitol Hill High School, Wheeler, and, yes, Shilder (which I didn't think about as being on the north side of that definition, but this was just because I wasn't thinking "north." I did think "south" to include Lafayette, I just missed a step. Thanks for pointing this omission out to me, and it will be included.

In my 2-3 hour drive through this morning, I did happen across Heronville School ... in my drive, I tried to pass through almost every area included within the 1910 definition which accounts for me noticing Heronville ... and I see from the OKC schools website that Heronville School was established in 1928. papaOU, the date I used for Wheeler was from the Oklahoman archives and other sources and I am confident that it opened in 1910 immediately east of the Capitol Hill 1910 boundary. Before I left for my photo-drive-by this morning, I did some research in the Oklahoman's archives and found that quite a history is associated with Wheeler ... oil, gas, oil & gas danger, pollutants, back in the 1930s when the school board leased oil and gas rights to plant wells right on school property which resulted in the school being closed for several months because the State Fire Marshall found that danger existed to students. After the school's closing, parents and students even marched in protest for their school not being open and a good bit of litigation was involved, too. Sort of a fun little history story, which I'll be telling in the blog article.

But, as I said, I did miss Shidler School in my thinking. To be sure, 1415 S. Byers is slightly north of the Capitol Hill boundary, but, since I've also included Lafayette and Capitol Hill High School, both of which were south of the Capitol Hill 1910 boundary, Shidler should also be included.

I'd earlier taken a pic of Shidler when working on the Okc Vintage Map project, so I've got a contemporary photo already.

Today I took about 50 pics ... not just schools ... if you are not aware of a new school being built, Educare, is a new school being built diagonally northeast from the old Shields Heights School (now a charter school called Saints Santa Fe South), and this new facility will amaze you. Today, the workmen on-site told me that it is scheduled to open this August and is for kids under 5 years old. Pics will be up shortly.

I'll post thumbnails of the photos later after I finish working on schools. I was glad to find that all of the schools, even if closed as Okc schools, have found another life and that all of the old buildings still exist.

The "school" map I've put together is presently as is shown below:

Thanks, guys!

mmm and papaOU,

I'm intending to include every school in or very close to the 1910 boundaries of Capitol Hill ... which includes all of Capitol Hill as it stood when annexed by Oklahoma City in 1909-1910 ... see the 1910 map below. So that would include schools outside the 1910 boundaries, such as Capitol Hill High School, Wheeler, and, yes, Shilder (which I didn't think about as being on the north side of that definition, but this was just because I wasn't thinking "north." I did think "south" to include Lafayette, I just missed a step. Thanks for pointing this omission out to me, and it will be included.

In my 2-3 hour drive through this morning, I did happen across Heronville School ... in my drive, I tried to pass through almost every area included within the 1910 definition which accounts for me noticing Heronville ... and I see from the OKC schools website that Heronville School was established in 1928. papaOU, the date I used for Wheeler was from the Oklahoman archives and other sources and I am confident that it opened in 1910 immediately east of the Capitol Hill 1910 boundary. Before I left for my photo-drive-by this morning, I did some research in the Oklahoman's archives and found that quite a history is associated with Wheeler ... oil, gas, oil & gas danger, pollutants, back in the 1930s when the school board leased oil and gas rights to plant wells right on school property which resulted in the school being closed for several months because the State Fire Marshall found that danger existed to students. After the school's closing, parents and students even marched in protest for their school not being open and a good bit of litigation was involved, too. Sort of a fun little history story, which I'll be telling in the blog article.

But, as I said, I did miss Shidler School in my thinking. To be sure, 1415 S. Byers is slightly north of the Capitol Hill boundary, but, since I've also included Lafayette and Capitol Hill High School, both of which were south of the Capitol Hill 1910 boundary, Shidler should also be included.

I'd earlier taken a pic of Shidler when working on the Okc Vintage Map project, so I've got a contemporary photo already.

Today I took about 50 pics ... not just schools ... if you are not aware of a new school being built, Educare, is a new school being built diagonally northeast from the old Shields Heights School (now a charter school called Saints Santa Fe South), and this new facility will amaze you. Today, the workmen on-site told me that it is scheduled to open this August and is for kids under 5 years old. Pics will be up shortly.

I'll post thumbnails of the photos later after I finish working on schools. I was glad to find that all of the schools, even if closed as Okc schools, have found another life and that all of the old buildings still exist.

The "school" map I've put together is presently as is shown below:

Thanks, guys!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Doug, wouldn't Shidler be considered part of East Capitol Hill? If in your driving you probably went down (be careful) central....You will notice a small business district that is mostly boarded up right now. that was where an attempt to re-establish another part of town. My wife had some friends that came up from Texas in the Early 40's maybe late 30's and they had a laundromat there on Central. Their were part of the attempt to establish another part of town. this wasn't a rebellion, it was just expansion. Also, if you will go east of Central on 15th you'll see a large amount of "shotgun" houses that were originally built for the oil and Gas business. And there were quite a few neighbohoods cropping up but, you will also find areas began to appear on the river area.....If you'll check one of the postings by rickster, you'll see that a large amount of people began to use the city land for property to build shanties....this was around 1928 also...Hmmmmmm

19. Default Re: Historic Capitol Hill

Doug, wouldn't Shidler be considered part of East Capitol Hill?
    Of course. But so was the legal boundary of Capitol Hill both in 1904 and 1910. The legal boundary of Capitol Hill (plus a slight fudge factor on the outside) is what I'm going by.

Doug, wouldn't Shidler be considered part of East Capitol Hill? If in your driving you probably went down (be careful) central....You will notice a small business district that is mostly boarded up right now. that was where an attempt to re-establish another part of town. My wife had some friends that came up from Texas in the Early 40's maybe late 30's and they had a laundromat there on Central. Their were part of the attempt to establish another part of town. this wasn't a rebellion, it was just expansion. Also, if you will go east of Central on 15th you'll see a large amount of "shotgun" houses that were originally built for the oil and Gas business. And there were quite a few neighbohoods cropping up but, you will also find areas began to appear on the river area.....If you'll check one of the postings by rickster, you'll see that a large amount of people began to use the city land for property to build shanties....this was around 1928 also...Hmmmmmm
    The area from Lightning Creek east to (?) was a direct result of the oil fields. The majority of the inhabitants were worked the fields. If you would notice the buildings along S.E. 29th from the railroad tracks to Sunnylane are all metal corrugated structures. At one time there were several of the buildings east of 29th. SouthSide Girl said she worked at the company just east of the RR tracks until the oil business went belly up. The area being a part of the OKLAHOMA CITY OILFIELD.

That is why Bent Stick (As Crooked Oak is known on the "Hill) is home of the RUF-NEX (They can't even spell it correctly)

21. Default Re: Historic Capitol Hill

Below are small versions of the photos I took yesterday during my 2 1/2 - 3 hour Capitol Hill photo shoot. Since there are so many, I've reduced the size of images shown to 400 px wide and paired 2 pics to a row but you can click on any photo for a 1024 px wide view.

Shields Heights School, 301 SE 38. The school was built in 1911, Layton & Smith, architects. I've not pinned down the date it closed but it was 2003 or shortly after. It is still used, though, as the Santa Fe South charter high school school.

The 2nd photo below looks northeast to a pedestrian bridge going over the Santa Fe tracks into an exciting new school being built for 4 year olds and younger, Educare -- strictly speaking, not Capitol Hill but close enough to count.

The next group shows Educare, a new facility under construction at Byers & Grand Blvd. According to its website, "Through a collaboration of Oklahoma leaders and organizations, Oklahoma City Educare will serve 200 at-risk children, prenatal to five years old, with year-round educational programs and developmental childcare. In addition to serving children enrolled in the program, family support staff will also ensure that pregnant women and newborns receive health services."

Driving north of the above area at SE 25th and Byers (501 SE 25th) one reaches Wheeler School, another school by Layton & Smith, architects, built in 1910. Located in the Oklahoma City oil field, the school board allowed wells to be built right on the school grounds and that caused the school to close for a little less than a year because of hazards to the children. Much controversy, but I'll not write about that here.

Here are photos of the school and its surroundings today. It sits in a pastoral area today, all cleaned up from oil field days gone by, next to Schilling Park which I'll show after the school.

The 2nd view below is taken from Byers approaching SW 25th.

I was curious about remnants of the Oklahoma City oil field, so I drove over to High from Byers and then drove north on High to SE 22nd. An aerial view is shown below ... the ovals show the pics taken along High of oil field remnants.

Reaching SE 22nd, I turned west and drove back to Byers. Before reaching Byers, there was a turn-in and that's where the photos of Schilling Park were taken, below. In a couple, you can see Wheeler School in the background.

Although I didn't do it today, driving further north on Byers one would reach Shidler School at 1415 S. Byers, also barely outside the Capitol Hill 1910 definition. The photo below was taken in March 2009. The school is not much to look at.

Lafayette School is another that sits barely outside the edge of 1910 Capitol Hill. It is located at 500 SW 44 and had a lifespan from 1928 to 2003. Its current occupant is shown in the photos below.

I returned to Lee School at 424 SW 29 built in 1910 and still operating today. The pair of photos I took last Saturday didn't capture the east part of the school, added at a date I don't presently know. So I took another to show that part better. The 1st 2 below were taken on May 15 or 16, I don't recall which. The 3rd was taken on May 22.

The last school covered in these pics is Heronville School at 1240 SW 29th (southeast corner of Blackwelder & SW 29th). The school's website says that it was built in 1928 and named for a "Mr. Heron," according to the School Board's website for the school. Apparently the school board isn't sufficiently proud of Mr. Heron to give his first name ... I'll have to find that on my own. It simply reads, "School is named after Mr. Herron, an Oklahoma City educator, who donated the land for the school in 1928." In addition to not having his 1st name, his last name is spelled incorrectly, also. The Board of Education's website is also most probably incorrect as to the date of the school, since a September 11, 1928, Daily Oklahoman article evidences that the school existed at least by the 1927 school term. In another article, December 27, 1925, the school principal of "Heronville schools," Nina Lee Gill, won a $5 prize for best letter to the editor.

The front of the school is barely visible because of the temporary buildings which face north on SW 29th. The 2nd photo was taken from Blackwelder looking at a side entrance. The school has been majorly expanded to include new facilities, shown below.

I've previously covered Mount Saint Marys and Capitol Hill Jr. & Sr. High Schools and I'll not repeat them here.

The remainder of the photos I took yesterday were various parts of Capitol Hill today.

First, Andrews Square, a facility owned by the Oklahoma City Housing Authority at 2101 S. Harvey. It appears to be very well maintained from what I observed.

Nearby, here are a pair of images a bit further south but around SW 23rd and Hudson:

When coming north on Walker after taking the Lafayette School photos, I passed by this pretty park which wasn't proud enough to show a name ... but from MS Maps the name is shown as Hosea Vinyard Park ... just a bit south of Capitol Hill High School ...

I cut over to Harvey and drove north toward downtown Capitol Hill. The street scenes below follow that track.

In the main, it was a charming well-kept neighborhood of modest homes flanking a nice boulevard. But, like the rest of Capitol Hill, it wasn't always pretty.

Getting back to downtown, I took a few more street scene pics, including the Capitol Hill branch library at 334 SW 26th. The others below generally proceed east on Commerce from Walker.

They don't call it "the hill" for nothing!

The last pic I'll show doesn't really fit logically well in the above sequence but it's of a house that I found interesting on SW 27th near Blackwelder when taking pics of the Heronville School.

The bldg. at 23rd and Hudson, white with the rounded corners, and glass tiles was a doctor's and/or a medical office.

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    The bldg. at 23rd and Hudson, white with the rounded corners, and glass tiles was a doctor's and/or a medical office.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All right, let's help him some more....The original Southside library was on 42nd and May until they built the one where it is now....I was in the Fourth grade...and that would be about 1955-56.....the Love Ministries building is where TG&Y stores were....The area that is cleared by the TG&Y was C.R. Anthony's it burned down quite sometime ago. The upstairs of the TG&Y building was the regional headquarters....That store was there I know in the middle 50's and probably sooner.....

A few years back Wheeler did have a fire..............

The house at 27th and Blackwelder(my childhood neighborhood) , must had a major renovation. It didn't always look like that.

Thread Information