Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite grocery store?

Default Favorite grocery store?

I worked in a grocery store for 7 years and love the design and architecture of them.

So I was curious what's your favorite store and what store do you think is the cleanest and has the best design in OK?

Default Re: Favorite grocery store?

I don't care for any of them in Oklahoma City. Big fan of Central Market; which I think is far superior/user friendly than Whole Foods.

3. Default Re: Favorite grocery store?

walmart

I'm nostalgic for the Food World/Safeway designs of the 70s. Everytime I watch "Oh God" I think of them.

Sigh. Well, I guess my favorite are some of the Homelands (both down in Norman, one on May. Not to say they are excellent, but the best given the choices. Freshest produce and best selection. Have to admit I'm a cheap-ass and usually end up going to Crest because I save a bunch. Will not touch a Wal-fart with a ten foot pole (plus its much more pricey than Crest).

On a side note (because they are not grocery stores), Forward Foods, Nature's Market, Market C, Avalon, Med Deli, and La Baguette Butcher are great places to buy food.

We need a Central Market/Whole Foods/something similar. I dream about it at night.

I honest to Budda miss Albertsons, why? the slightly higher price kept the riff raff out....oh please you know who I mean the whiney kids wanting something and throwing a tantrum about it. I walked over to one lady and I said when you get him/her home, give them a smack on the ass for me" the Kid did shut up btw.
    I do notice Crest though has been quick to talk to people with loud children and asked them to either please leave or quite their brats.
    Its actually not a issue at the Crest I go to now.

Albertsons were always nice and clean...Unfortunately they no longer exist. The Homeland on 16th and Classen is okay, but very expensive. I usually go to the "neighborhood" wal-mart and it does the job. No complaints. Whole Foods offers a unique selection of foods but again it is expensive.

I went to the Albertsons on Reno and Midwest Blvd from when it first opened until the day it closed - it was my favorite. I also would occasionally go to the Del City Albertsons as it was/is convenient on the way home from work. I agree with gmwise - I could tolerate the clientele better there.

That being said - Albertsons is gone so I switched to Williams, then to Homeland - all at Del City SW 29th/Sunnylane store. Yes, the prices are higher but the extra I pay is well worth not dealing with Walmart. I refuse to patronize Crest becasue of my aversion to the family who owns it, so choices are limited.

When I travel out of town or out of the country, I love to go to grocery stores and just look. I know it sounds weird, but there is something fascinating about stores in other countries especially.

My daughter and I went to a gigantic grocery store in Germany that was two story, with escalators to accomodate a basket. We stayed in there for almost two hours - it was awesome!

We also went to a small grocery store in Costa Rica. It was interesting to try and guess what the products were. My high school Spanish helped some, but not completely!

Last - the Tom Thumb in Addison, Texas was a great store. I believe it has changed hands now. I love places where they sell wine in the grocery store!

Totally agree about Central Market. Wish one would open up here.

I miss McCartney's (Wheba's or Weba's as it was originally known) at 240 and Walker. Mcartney's was a fun place to shop as a kid. They had carpeted floors, a huge lobster tank and the coolest thing was how they loaded the groceries in your car. They gave you a card that was on the black plastic tubs that rolled around on a carousel. You pulled the car in the drive-thru area, gave them the card, and they would grab your groceries off the carousel and load them up for you.

I also miss the days of Fresh Buchanan's Glazed Donuts.

There are none around here, but my favorites have always been Kroger and Publix (having grown up with them and both parents working for them). Kroger is found EVERYWHERE (under about two dozen different banners) and Publix is mostly found in Georgia and Florida.

If Oklahoma would change the crappy liqour laws a lot of stores stated above would consider opening in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by John1744 View Post
    I worked in a grocery store for 7 years and love the design and architecture of them.

So I was curious what's your favorite store and what store do you think is the cleanest and has the best design in OK?
    You didn't even list your favorite.

I've never found a grocery store with good architecture, well except maybe Native Roots in Norman.

I mostly alternate between Buy for Less on NW Expressway -
    they have expanded their deli and offer a great selection of imported cheeses and fresh made dishes, sides, casseroles (for mother in law or neighbor that doesn't cook) and I always love the International aisle.

Crest on NW 23rd & Meridian
    Nice and clean, cheap.

I have yet to notice interesting architecture of any of these stores.

Crescent Market in Austin is my fave store I've ever been in. But I was also very happy to shop in HEB for their "one stop shopping" while on vacation.

I shop at Akins now and then - they have great bread and selection of healthy soups, snacks, organics etc. I worry if we get a Whole Foods or something similar, it will put Akins out.

i like Fiesta, i liked krogers, safeway will always remain the best.

16. Default Re: Favorite grocery store?

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri101 View Post

When I travel out of town or out of the country, I love to go to grocery stores and just look. I know it sounds weird, but there is something fascinating about stores in other countries especially.

My daughter and I went to a gigantic grocery store in Germany that was two story, with escalators to accomodate a basket. We stayed in there for almost two hours - it was awesome!
    I do the exact same thing (Hey I love to eat).

My current job I get to roam through Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska and Colorado and instead of eating fast food I often stop at a grocery store for dinner. The ones I like the best are Krogers and Hi-Vee. I would love to see either one of those here.

As for the German gorcery stores, I have been to the Aldi's while in Germany and no surprise they are just like the Aldi's here. I can't say I've ever been to a two story grocery store but I have been to there version of Wal-mart a few times.

The best thing about Deutschland is going to the local Walkplatz and picking up some brochen in one store, cheese in another, some meat at a deli and making a good old sandwich with the best ingredients on earth.

I am sorry everyone, but seeing as how my mom and stepdad work for Kroger, I have to make this comment. The name is "Kroger"!!!!!! Please do not put a 's' on the end of the name as this is not correct.

Ok, must breath now....

I am not sure why that drive me NUTS when people say that, but it does. I am sorry for the rant...

18. Default Re: Favorite grocery store?

Albertson's at 12th and Alameda in Norman was awesome while it lasted...

Quote Originally Posted by Insider View Post
    There are none around here, but my favorites have always been Kroger and Publix (having grown up with them and both parents working for them). Kroger is found EVERYWHERE (under about two dozen different banners) and Publix is mostly found in Georgia and Florida.
    living in fl most of my life, i agree publix is great. always clean, always well stocked and i was able to find items walmart would never carry. hate walmart, but i have little choice, as it's the closest to me. would be nice if crest opened a location in mustang.

Agree! Whenever, I go to Florida on vacations, I am always impressed with the cleanliness of Publix. Always well stocked and maintained and they have a great selection in their deli (Boars Head) and also excellent pastries in their bakery. The overall experience is quite pleasant.

My favorite one in Dallas was Market Street (done by the United chain). Their motto is "Where everyday meets gourmet". It wasn't as expensive as Central Market and a step above the Signature Kroger stores. They always carry your bags out and as a mom of little ones, that's a big plus for me.
    For now I'll be happy with Crest, though the last couple of times I've been in there, I've had a hard time finding certain items, but otherwise, their service is great.
    I don't know how the Albertson's were here, but the ones down in north TX were dirty and overpriced. I used to go to one in College Station and their's was so much better.
    Whole foods is just too expensive and they seem to be more concerned about pushing their eco-agenda than just selling food.

Quote Originally Posted by OKBound View Post
    My favorite one in Dallas was Market Street (done by the United chain). Their motto is "Where everyday meets gourmet". It wasn't as expensive as Central Market and a step above the Signature Kroger stores. They always carry your bags out and as a mom of little ones, that's a big plus for me.
    For now I'll be happy with Crest, though the last couple of times I've been in there, I've had a hard time finding certain items, but otherwise, their service is great.
    I don't know how the Albertson's were here, but the ones down in north TX were dirty and overpriced. I used to go to one in College Station and their's was so much better.
    Whole foods is just too expensive and they seem to be more concerned about pushing their eco-agenda than just selling food.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Don't forget the old Buchanan Stores, they were always done right....But you gotta love Crescent Market on North Western.........But, as a stand-by Crest in Moore is clean, priced right, they make sure you get checked out and they "offer" to help anyone with taking the merchandise to their cars....Remember:.....Groceries were an "after thought" for Wal-Mart.....Price isn't always everything.....

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ...Remember:.....Groceries were an "after thought" for Wal-Mart.....Price isn't always everything.....
    I really don't think Wal-mart prices are that great. I mean, they make like a few items really dirt cheap (items people remember, and never items I buy anyhow) and then everything else is above cheap (I mean, sure its not expensive, but its not as cheap as Crest).

Just wanted to say I'm so sick of people (not on this board, people I know) saying "Well I shop at Wal-mart because I'm trying to save money". Has anyone ever done a full price comparison with other stores(I mean on your total bill)? Wal-mart is not cheaper overall! And for those of us who buy mostly fresh produce and non-frozen items, Wal-mart is a total rip-off.

Plus as you say General64, grocery is an afterthought, and they make their money by getting you to buy other stuff at Wal-mart that you didn't come in for. Wal-mart neighborhood markets are pricey (they are way pricier than the items in the Super Wal-marts), and just downright gross on the inside (at least the one in Moore is). Ok my angry rant is done.

On a side note, I can't wait for the OSU farmers market to start selling the summer items. Yummy!

I think the Crest in Edmond has the best combination of price and selection.

Speaking of crappy liquor laws holding back the grocery stores... I know why the legislature never seems to want to take up the issue, it's all pure politics. But I'm curious why no one has tried to get an initiative petition rolling on allowing liquor sales in grocery stores? Have folks tried before? If so why did it fail?

Thread Information