Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: Iguana

Default Re: Iguana

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Stopped here for lunch on Saturday and I really like the rebranding and changes to the bar area. Food was good. I forgot that this place has a really cool feel... also, dollar Mimosas?!? Definitely worth trying out again.
    Agree about the remodel.

Was in last week and I really liked the feel.

They also have a good happy hour with discounted margaritas and loads of free chips and fresh salsa.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They also have a good happy hour with discounted margaritas and loads of free chips and fresh salsa.
    Is that allowed under Oklahoma's restrictive happy hour laws concerning discounted liquor drinks during happy hour? Maybe I don't fully understand the law. I thought that discounted beer was basically the only drink containing alcohol that could be discounted. I remember not long ago going to Macaroni Grill when I had received an email about a promotion with half price wine. They told me that was not allowed in Oklahoma so they could not honor the promotion.

Dave Cathey's comprehensive article about this. It also include a great video with an interview with Marc Dunham. My mouth is watering just looking at the food in that video.

http://newsok.com/multimedia/video/5...8001#gsc.tab=0

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Is that allowed under Oklahoma's restrictive happy hour laws concerning discounted liquor drinks during happy hour? Maybe I don't fully understand the law. I thought that discounted beer was basically the only drink containing alcohol that could be discounted. I remember not long ago going to Macaroni Grill when I had received an email about a promotion with half price wine. They told me that was not allowed in Oklahoma so they could not honor the promotion.
    My understanding is you can only discount 3.2 beer. You can run a monthly drink special or even weekly but can't discount for happy hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    My understanding is you can only discount 3.2 beer. You can run a monthly drink special or even weekly but can't discount for happy hour.
    Just FYI, they frequently run happy hour ads that show discounted margaritas as well as beer and food.

Here is language from the statute:

B. No licensee of the ABLE Commission shall:
    1. Receive, possess, or sell any alcoholic beverage except as authorized by the
    Oklahoma Alcoholic Beverage Control Act and by the license or permit which the licensee
    holds;
    2. Employ any person under the age of twenty-one (21) in the selling or handling of
    alcoholic beverages. Provided, that a mixed beverage, beer and wine, caterer, public event,
    special event or bottle club licensee may employ servers who are at least eighteen (18) years
    of age, except persons under twenty-one (21) years of age may not serve in designated bar or
    lounge areas, and a mixed beverage, beer and wine, caterer, public event, special event or
    bottle club licensee may employ or hire musical bands who have musicians who are under
    twenty-one (21) years of age if each such musician is either accompanied by a parent or legal
    guardian or has on their person, to be made available for inspection upon demand by any
    ABLE Commission officer or law enforcement officer, a written, notarized affidavit from the
    parent or legal guardian giving the underage musician permission to perform in designated
    bar or lounge areas;
    3. Give any alcoholic beverage as a prize, premium or consideration for any lottery,
    game of chance or skill or any type of competition;
    4. Advertise or offer “happy hours” or any other means or inducements to stimulate
    the consumption of alcoholic beverages including:
    a. deliver more than two drinks to one person at one time,
    b. sell or offer to sell to any person or group of persons any drinks at a price
    less than the price regularly charged for such drinks during the same calendar week, except at
    private functions not open to the public,

c. sell or offer to sell to any person an unlimited number of drinks during any
    set period of time for a fixed price, except at private functions not open to the public,
    d. sell or offer to sell drinks to any person or group of persons on any one day
    at prices less than those charged the general public on that day, except at private functions
    not open to the public,
    e. increase the volume of alcoholic beverages contained in a drink without
    increasing proportionately the price regularly charged for such drink during the same
    calendar week, o

7. Default Re: Iguana

Their happy hour says $3 mini margaritas. I'm guessing they get around because it's the equivalent same price as a full size.

There are many ways to get around this.

Let's use a margarita for instance. If their normal price is $6 and it uses X tequila, the only way it can be discounted is if its a WEEKLY special for 7 consecutive days. They can however use Y tequila to do a $4 margarita during "happy hour" yet have to serve it if asked for any other time. This is commonly used since the normal patron will ask for a "house margarita" which would fall under X tequila but if they knew to ask for a Y tequila margarita, it would legally have to be served at $4.

Another common tactic is a beer and a shot special at X price. The way they do this is say its a beer and shot of whiskey for $5. The shot of whiskey is always $5 and the beer is a domestic so they are "giving" you the beer and charging full price for the shot. This is allowed because 3.2 isn't regulated by ABLE and can be discounted at any time.

Its absolutely absurd that we have to go to these lengths In order to do whats such common practice in every other state.

Stopped in for a quick dinner the other day and was very impressed with the new bar space and with the food. The new corn tortillas are very high quality, and really made for a good barbacoa taco. Most of the familiar items are still on the menu, and my old favorite, the coral snake salsa, was good as ever. Excellent service from the bartender at a normal table in the new bar area. I have high hopes that they have revitalized, as they had seemed a bit tired.

Getting an expanded patio:

Am I seeing this right that the patio will expand to the west into the parking?

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Am I seeing this right that the patio will expand to the west into the parking?
    Yes.

Blog Entries

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-05-14 095600.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	16857

Looks like they're nixing 4 parking spots?

Nice work

Yep:

This is awesome. If only their food would be half as good as their drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by ditm4567 View Post
    I have always really liked their food and have always had good service and experiences there. Personally, I don't drink so I can't speak to the quality of their drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by ditm4567 View Post
    If you keep drinking I bet you’ll like the food more.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-05-14 095600.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	16857

Looks like they're nixing 4 parking spots?

Nice work
    You love to see it

Thread Information