Widgets Magazine

Thread: West Side Roads Closed

Default West Side Roads Closed

Thank you OKC.

1st you Narrowed I 40 and Rockwell for Bridge Construction, Then 44th and Morgan Road is Closed, Then today 29th and Morgan Road is Closed and then I try to go down Reno and you have Reno and MacArthur shutdown to One lane for Resurfacing to Meridian.

Do you think that Maybe you could leave one East/West street open so us Mustang/Yukon People can get to work!

Default Re: West Side Roads Closed

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Man View Post
    Thank you OKC.

1st you Narrowed I 40 and Rockwell for Bridge Construction, Then 44th and Morgan Road is Closed, Then today 29th and Morgan Road is Closed and then I try to go down Reno and you have Reno and MacArthur shutdown to One lane for Resurfacing to Meridian.

Do you think that Maybe you could leave one East/West street open so us Mustang/Yukon People can get to work!
    Amen, plus for a while HWY 152 was down to 1 lane at Meridian, so there really was no good E/W route.

3. Default Re: West Side Roads Closed

Yep.... They've turned my 11 minute commute to my office into a 45-60 minute ordeal..... Thankfully I work remote most days but the days I don't I waste 90-120 minutes of my day in a vehicle.

FYI..... 44th between Morgan and Sara is now open.....or at least it was when I drove all the way from downtown around to 152 and Morgan to get home at 29th and Morgan.

If this is traffic is with all of these people working remotely, then I would hate to see what it would be like if companies were to revert back and decrease WFH. I cannot wait to get out of this "new colleague" phase and get to WFH a day or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Yep.... They've turned my 11 minute commute to my office into a 45-60 minute ordeal..... Thankfully I work remote most days but the days I don't I waste 90-120 minutes of my day in a vehicle.

FYI..... 44th between Morgan and Sara is now open.....or at least it was when I drove all the way from downtown around to 152 and Morgan to get home at 29th and Morgan.
    Knowing side roads is great when construction is going on. I work off NW Expressway and live near uptown and have about 4 different routes I can take to get home.

6. Default Re: West Side Roads Closed

At least the end is in sight for some of these. 152 looks like they're getting close to done with the lanes they're working on. I'm not sure if they're going to open them and close the ones we're using now or not. The roadway looks done on the Rockwell bridge and they're forming the guard rails. 152 and I40 being back to normal would be really nice.

HangryHippo Guest

It’s ridiculous they’ve torn the west side roads up at the same time!

8. Default Re: West Side Roads Closed

Quote Originally Posted by shartel_ave View Post
    Knowing side roads is great when construction is going on. I work off NW Expressway and live near uptown and have about 4 different routes I can take to get home.
    I can drive OKC blindfolded.... If there was a good option I'd be all over it but going 5 miles out and around the construction to find a way across the river or around the landfill isn't saving any time and definitely not saving any money with gas prices.

9. Default Re: West Side Roads Closed

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    At least the end is in sight for some of these. 152 looks like they're getting close to done with the lanes they're working on. I'm not sure if they're going to open them and close the ones we're using now or not. The roadway looks done on the Rockwell bridge and they're forming the guard rails. 152 and I40 being back to normal would be really nice.
    Aren't they widening all of 152 to 6 lanes to change it's designation from a highway (152) to an interstate (I240)?

To make it even worse..... I'm not even supposed to still be living here but the new home I was supposed to be moving into at my farm near Ardmore last September probably isn't even going to be finished by this September..... Which doubles my frustration with this mess.

Aren't they widening all of 152 to 6 lanes to change it's designation from a highway (152) to an interstate (I240)?

To make it even worse..... I'm not even supposed to still be living here but the new home I was supposed to be moving into at my farm near Ardmore last September probably isn't even going to be finished by this September..... Which doubles my frustration with this mess.
    Eventually, ODOTs most recent plan looks vaguer since merging the 152 projects with some of 44's in the area, but most of that is funded between 2025 and 2029

I can drive OKC blindfolded.... If there was a good option I'd be all over it but going 5 miles out and around the construction to find a way across the river or around the landfill isn't saving any time and definitely not saving any money with gas prices.
    Throw in the rush hour trains as well, a lot of alternate routes haves at grade crossings, which further adds time.

The need to tear up reno in front of the outlet mall. It's an embarrassment for people coming out of town to go shopping to see a road that is such horrible shape.

13. Default Re: West Side Roads Closed

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Eventually, ODOTs most recent plan looks vaguer since merging the 152 projects with some of 44's in the area, but most of that is funded between 2025 and 2029
    Yeah. I just dug through pages of ODOT plans/schedules. It does look like 152 will get widened all the way to 81. But sometime later. But the plan is very vague.

Quote Originally Posted by bill robertson View Post
    yeah. I just dug through pages of odot plans/schedules. It does look like 152 will get widened all the way to 81. But sometime later. But the plan is very vague.
    sh-152: From meridian east to i-44, and south along i-44 to 74th st
    jp# 3288208 ffy 2026 grade, drain, bridge & surface $ 12,900,000
    jp# 3288215 ffy 2029 grade, drain, bridge & surface $ 12,000,000
    jp# 3288216 ffy 2029 grade, drain, bridge & surface $ 12,000,000
    jp# 3288217 ffy 2029 grade, drain, bridge & surface $ 12,000,000
    jp# 3288218 ffy 2029 grade, drain, bridge & surface $ 12,000,000
    jp# 3288219 ffy 2025 right of way $ 2,725,000
    jp# 3288220 ffy 2025 utilities $ 1,362,500
    jp# 3288221 ffy 2027 grade, drain, bridge & surface $ 10,000,000
    $ 74,987,500

sh-152: From us-81 in union city, extend east 10.0 miiles to
    cemetery road in mustang
    jp# 2790104 ffy 2023 grade, drain & surface $ 12,463,000
    jp# 2790109 ffy 2023 grade, drain & surface $ 12,617,500
    $ 25,080,500

I wasn't judging your knowledge concerning OKC sideroads nor did I know you had to cross the river I was just saying it is good in general for people to know multiple routes in any city.

When I lived in Seattle I had a reverse commute so I drove from the city center 20 miles north to work and coming home was always a nightmare on I-5 so learned every single side road I could but seattle has water on both sides so even that was difficult especially if there was an NFL game as all the sideroads were just as jammed.

and I have a reverse commute in OKC so that is nice for me

16. Default Re: West Side Roads Closed

The Rockwell bridge is an example of road construction that drives my crazy. The road surface has been done for awhile. The rebar was finished for the guardrails about 2 weeks ago. And that's the last day anyone has worked on it.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    The need to tear up reno in front of the outlet mall. It's an embarrassment for people coming out of town to go shopping to see a road that is such horrible shape.
    There is construction on Reno between MacArthur and Rockwell, though I don't know if there are any plans to extend it to Council.

18. Default Re: West Side Roads Closed

152 between Meridian and Council is done. Striped, swept, equipment gone. Done. Oh, except for the barrier cones still blocking it to one lane both ways. Why is it still one lane?

I'm glad that construction has reached a point where SW 44th at Sara has reopened, because SW 29th and Sara was dealing with a lot of traffic and slow speeds.

20. Default Re: West Side Roads Closed

Ok. So 152 isn't completely done. Now that the entire road surface is complete they're starting on redoing the bridge expansion joints. They've had two years that this could have been done while the road had to be shut down for resurfacing. But no, let's do it after everything else is finished.

Did they really widen 152 or just make the exit bigger which not sure there was a huge need for?

22. Default Re: West Side Roads Closed

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    Did they really widen 152 or just make the exit bigger which not sure there was a huge need for?
    It's a mix. Partially widened, mostly just longer exit/entrance lanes. Mainly just new asphalt. To really widen it would have meant completely reconstruction of a number of bridges and it have taken months or years longer.

Thread Information