Widgets Magazine
Page 33 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2829303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

Default Re: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

Looking forward to driving on it!

I'm ready to drive on this thing. I am tired of the old rickety cross town. I am wondering how long we will have to look at the old crosstown. I have heard different ideas. If nothing else they just need to pave it like they did on 15th between Meridian and MacArthur. A four lane road with a turn lane down the middle and bicycle lanes down each side. Leave room on both sides for future expansion or build it with a median down the middle and three lanes on each side with bicycle lanes.

Quote Originally Posted by oneforone View Post
    ...I am wondering how long we will have to look at the old crosstown...
    According to post #705 on page 29, they will start demolition in February and by about Sep-Oct it will be down completely if everything goes as scheduled.

Cool Re: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

Quote Originally Posted by MDot View Post
    According to post #705 on page 29, they will start demolition in February and by about Sep-Oct it will be down completely if everything goes as scheduled.
    I am a casual reader and poster. I don't have the time and patience to go back and read back 100 some odd postings.

I am a casual reader and poster. I don't have the time and patience to go back and read back 100 some odd postings.
    LOL that's fine, I just remembered seeing it so I went back and found it, otherwise I wouldn't know the answer.

And the reason I stated the post and page was just to list where I found it and incase you wanted to see the post for yourself (or anyone else who missed it).

It's actually pretty easy, all you do is look at the page listing at the bottom of every page, click on "29" and then it will take you to that page where you only have to scroll through, hmmmm, let's see... 5 posts from the top (that didn't take very long!) and bingo, you have it. ;-)

To bad the old crosstown couldn't come down in a blaze of glory via a movie scene. Maybe like True Lies 2.

Lawdy JTF, at this point I'll be happy if they get it down at all. Given Project 180 I have this concern they'll demo out 60% of it and realize they are ought of money to do more until some undetermined date in the future, but issue a promise it will get done, eventually, which most will accept at face value.

I thought they were supposed to make a profit on the demolition from recycling some of the good parts and recycle the metal?

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I thought they were supposed to make a profit on the demolition from recycling some of the good parts and recycle the metal?
    I read a statement from ODOT where they were going to use the steel beams for county bridges, and is supposed to save a bucket load of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    I read a statement from ODOT where they were going to use the steel beams for county bridges, and is supposed to save a bucket load of money.
    The savings go to the County.. kind of. It just lets them repair more bridges than they normally would have. ODOT does this for all bridges that get replaced.(when the beams are still good)

It won't actually make any money for anyone though. It'll cost what it costs to demo the Crosstown.

12. Default Re: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

This was done a few weeks ago this month.

13. Default Re: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

Why did the state screw up the I-40 project? OKC was working on the Core-to-Shore project where the core goes all the way up to the river. The new I-40 was to be located on the south side of the river. In the above video....its on the north side. When was this changed?

And what about the big white building that has the Oklahoma or state flag painting with the 100 years celebration? There is nothing on the other side facing the new I-40, so are there any plans to paint that side, too?

Thunder, just take a deep breath and relax, maybe take a puff of an E-Cig, an explanation will be here shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Why did the state screw up the I-40 project? OKC was working on the Core-to-Shore project where the core goes all the way up to the river. The new I-40 was to be located on the south side of the river. In the above video....its on the north side. When was this changed?

And what about the big white building that has the Oklahoma or state flag painting with the 100 years celebration? There is nothing on the other side facing the new I-40, so are there any plans to paint that side, too?
    Incorrect!

All of the concepts that I can recall showed it on the north side of the river. Not sure where you thought it would be on the south side. Also...you are just now noticing this? It's not like it exactly dropped out of the sky into this location....it's been under construction for quite a while.

16. Default Re: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Incorrect!

All of the concepts that I can recall showed it on the north side of the river. Not sure where you thought it would be on the south side. Also...you are just now noticing this? It's not like it exactly dropped out of the sky into this location....it's been under construction for quite a while.
    Incorrect!

I specifically remember plans made for the relocation to be much more southern than current new location.

I want to know how and why it was changed. Of course, I knew it was being built wrong this whole time. Its just really upsetting, because the Core to Shore project is screwed. Now its Core to Forty project.

Lol - now we can have NoFo and SoFo as part of CoSho.

In fairness to Thunder I think one of the early alternates was to go south of the river but that route was never supported.

18. Default Re: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Lol - now we can have NoFo and SoFo as part of CoSho.

In fairness to Thunder I think one of the early alternates was to go south of the river but that route was never supported.
    Do you know why it wasn't supported?

Do you know why it wasn't supported?
    No I don't but it probably had to do with crossing the river twice and the downtown airpark still being active at the time.

Incorrect!

I specifically remember plans made for the relocation to be much more southern than current new location.

I want to know how and why it was changed. Of course, I knew it was being built wrong this whole time. Its just really upsetting, because the Core to Shore project is screwed. Now its Core to Forty project.
    The most southern alternative had the relocated interstate going as far south as 14th. These plans were made in 1996: Core to Shore started in 2006, which is why you'll see the relocated highway in all the conceptual drawings.

Someone correct me if any of this is wrong, am doing it from memory...there were numerous alternate routes (think a total of 8 including doing nothing at all)...what was selected was "D"...there were a lot of criteria used in the analysis... cost, environmental impacts, impact on existing businesses/neighborhoods etc.

Mayor Humphreys stated that we couldn't afford the $1 million maintenance on the Crosstown then when "D" was chosen wanted to keep the Crosstown (that we couldn't afford to keep) as the "Alternate Business Route" (meaning truck traffic which causes the majority of wear and tear to the highways).

Part of the compromise with the State was the replacement Boulevard.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post

(meaning truck traffic which causes the majority of wear and tear to the highways).

1. I have long wished that semi trucks had their own separate lanes.

2. I thought that the boulevard was a federal requirement?

23. Default Re: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

Now that most of the new I-40, which I believe the distance span is too short, is almost completed, is there any plans to finally bring out the frickin' ferris wheel and set up somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Someone correct me if any of this is wrong, am doing it from memory...there were numerous alternate routes (think a total of 8 including doing nothing at all)...what was selected was "D"...there were a lot of criteria used in the analysis... cost, environmental impacts, impact on existing businesses/neighborhoods etc.

Mayor Humphreys stated that we couldn't afford the $1 million maintenance on the Crosstown then when "D" was chosen wanted to keep the Crosstown (that we couldn't afford to keep) as the "Alternate Business Route" (meaning truck traffic which causes the majority of wear and tear to the highways).

I only remember seeing four, but that may depend on when I first heard of the project and if they did rounds to evaluate the paths then do more in depth study on the ones that had better characteristics at each stage.

Wait, wait, wait!! Thunder, are you saying that in 2008, when Maps3 was presented and voted on, you didn't think the new I-40 was smack dab in the middle of the park? Why, do you think the main reason they built the sky dance bridge? It was built to connect walkers to to the N. and South side of the park. Do you you remember people saying there is a north and south part of the central park? Well, the highway is what separates the park. And if you knew we are constructing the new I-40 where it is currently being built, then why did you not post your frustration for this earlier, like on your first post ever on this thread?

Thread Information