Widgets Magazine
Page 32 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2728293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

Default Re: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

Quote Originally Posted by lasomeday View Post
    Are they going to put up some barriers? This just does not look safe.... I just remember that kid from Yukon being killed by a runaway semi tire.

Also, I thought it was supposed to be 10 lanes wide? This area has less lanes than the 4 lanes that is currently there. I hope this is temporary!
    You've been spending too much time on the Boathouse Row thread, you environmentalist! Yes, this is temporary both east and west lanes all on the eastbound side. Do you not live in OKC? Currently, only the eastbound bridge has been built over Agnew Avenue because the alignment would put the westbound side right into current old alignment I-40 eastbound traffic--no can do!

Once all traffic has been shifted, they can then finish out the tie-ins on both the west and east ends of the project, which should be done before years end 2012.

Note: billboard.

Quote Originally Posted by SSEiYah View Post

Note: billboard.
    I notice the sign on the highway shoulder just to the left of the billboard............someone some day will whack that thing.

Is it open??

See my post from 11-20 to see differences: http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.ph...255#post485255

These are from today, most of these angles have been posted before, however you can never have too many pics. Some new ones of the east end.

Starting from the Lincoln bridge, then Walker, Western and Penn.

Looks like we'll be on there before the end of the year. You notice a couple of pics back up, they have formed and poured the barrier wall between the highways just this week.

I'd bet we're on by the 24th.

And thanks for the comprehensive pics...........you can it's almost there.

Wow, that center barrier is tall. I am guessing it is to block the light from headlights going into the turn so has practical reasons but it just looks a little excessive compared to the normal like two foot ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Looks like we'll be on there before the end of the year. You notice a couple of pics back up, they have formed and poured the barrier wall between the highways just this week.

I'd bet we're on by the 24th.

And thanks for the comprehensive pics...........you can it's almost there.
    A lot of little things left to do. Only main things left to do are ramps on the westbound side. Maybe it will open the last week of December? Otherwise it will be the first week of January.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    A lot of little things left to do. Only main things left to do are ramps on the westbound side. Maybe it will open the last week of December? Otherwise it will be the first week of January.
    This could come down to the weather............

Thanks SSEiYah! Do you work on the project?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Wow, that center barrier is tall.
    The center barrier is only extra tall on the east bound lane. It is normal height for the west bound lane. For some unknown reason, the two lanes are not on the same level. The west bound lane is 2 feet higher than the east bound.

Quote Originally Posted by o'casey booyah View Post
    The center barrier is only extra tall on the east bound lane. It is normal height for the west bound lane. For some unknown reason, the two lanes are not on the same level. The west bound lane is 2 feet higher than the east bound.
    Ah, so it comes from where they banked the lanes to offset force in the curves to help 'naturally' stay in the lane through the turn.

Or to do with drainage. I-44 is the same way driving westbound between Lincoln & I-235

On the eastbound segment (near the I-44 junction), under the signs (the waterpipe design) I noticed what looks to be small LCD displays hanging above each lane? Any idea what they are for?

Probably going to be directional arrows. Just a guess though!

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    On the eastbound segment (near the I-44 junction), under the signs (the waterpipe design) I noticed what looks to be small LCD displays hanging above each lane? Any idea what they are for?
    Lane ahead closed indicators, im guessing? Part of the ITS system.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Ah, so it comes from where they banked the lanes to offset force in the curves to help 'naturally' stay in the lane through the turn.
    Just FYI, it's called Super-elevation. And even when the road is straight there is always a 2% cross slope for drainage.

Quote Originally Posted by Dulahey View Post
    Just FYI, it's called Super-elevation. And even when the road is straight there is always a 2% cross slope for drainage.
    Thank you for verifying my post #791 ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Thank you for verifying my post #791 ;-)
    NP! I guess I completely skipped over your post. =\

As a side note - how much of rain run off from the new location of I-40 will run into the OK River....just wonderin.....

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    As a side note - how much of rain run off from the new location of I-40 will run into the OK River....just wonderin.....
    100%. All of downtown drains into it.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Thanks SSEiYah! Do you work on the project?
    I dont, but as part of my part time job I do a lot of driving in the area and pulled over on the bridges and snapped some pics the other day.

I dont, but as part of my part time job I do a lot of driving in the area and pulled over on the bridges and snapped some pics the other day.
    That one pic, taken with the dashboard of your vehicle in the foreground, was taken while you were driving on the new alignment.

KOCO - "Part of I-40 Crosstown to Open Jan. 5: Westbound Lanes to Open 4 to 6 Weeks Later."

http://www.koco.com/news/30038384/detail.html

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/newsm...on_cutting.pdf

"Gift of the Century"
    I wouldn't go that far. LOL

Thread Information