Widgets Magazine
Page 28 of 79 FirstFirst ... 232425262728293031323378 ... LastLast

Thread: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

Default Re: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

Quote Originally Posted by SSEiYah View Post
    They are doing some work on the Southbound I235 to Westbound I40 ramp, looks like a temporary route will be near where the old Lincoln ave went under the existing bridge.
    Thats pretty close to where that ramp will end up permanently. The ramp from north bound I-35 will merge at this same point to when the project is completed. The old bridge approach to the I-40 crosstown need to be demolished first though.

This is a little late, but I just read it. In last weeks gazette, the article from ODOT said that the East bound traffic would open first, then 30 to 45 days later the West bound traffic would move to the new highway. I presume that the East side will open in late December.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    This is a little late, but I just read it. In last weeks gazette, the article from ODOT said that the East bound traffic would open first, then 30 to 45 days later the West bound traffic would move to the new highway. I presume that the East side will open in late December.
    If thats true then their not going to bother with temporary lanes for westbound. Their just going to finish building the permanent westbound lanes when eastbound is moved over. It took about that long for that section of westbound to be completed.

So who is going to try and be the last civilian car to drive on the Crosstown before it is closed?

The article said they are also going to take their time to remove the old crosstown structure, due to the fact that parts of the bridge would be recycled..It has to be some of the large steel girders.....It states that more than likely the new boulevard would be 4 lanes only for pedestrian friendly purposes, that they would push the road to the south side of the easement to increase the footprint of the new convention center and that it (the road) would be completed by 2014.

Not necessarily increase the footprint, but allow for loading and unloading docks along the new avenue. Hopefully there's some kind of barrier wall that maybe there can be a mosaic on or something. Otherwise, that dock is going to be a thing of beauty (sarcasm).

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    So who is going to try and be the last civilian car to drive on the Crosstown before it is closed?
    No thanks! I would rather be asleep at 2:00 in the morning. That must be a crazy overnight ordeal having to close off ramps, move barricades, and take down all the I-40 signs that no longer lead you to the right ramps.

Just for reference, the aforementioned Gazette article: http://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/ar...xpressway.html

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    If thats true then their not going to bother with temporary lanes for westbound. Their just going to finish building the permanent westbound lanes when eastbound is moved over. It took about that long for that section of westbound to be completed.
    The only significant westbound stretch that will be need to be paved after the eastbound opening is this one mile stretch between Agnew and I-44:

There is a similar but much shorter westbound stretch at the 235 junction on the other end. So definitely no need for any more temporary lanes to my knowledge.

I am going to miss the old I-40, it's elevated section and the close proximity to downtown. I like how one can see what is happening as you drive by and look through the downtown area.

Will there be a Walker exit along the new I-40?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    I am going to miss the old I-40, it's elevated section and the close proximity to downtown. I like how one can see what is happening as you drive by and look through the downtown area.

Will there be a Walker exit along the new I-40?
    They talk about downtown access in the Gazette article in post #686.

^^ Thanks, the answer to my question is No.

There will not be a Walker Ave exit, Western and Shields will be the new downtown exits.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    ^^ Thanks, the answer to my question is No.

There will not be a Walker Ave exit, Western and Shields will be the new downtown exits.
    Meh, not that big a deal but it would still be nice if they would've included a Walker exit..

Quote Originally Posted by MDot View Post
    Meh, not that big a deal but it would still be nice if they would've included a Walker exit..
    I think the overall intent is for the majority of traffic exiting to downtown will take the new boulevard....with limited access from the rest of I-40. I'm sure everyone already knows that though.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Not necessarily increase the footprint, but allow for loading and unloading docks along the new avenue. Hopefully there's some kind of barrier wall that maybe there can be a mosaic on or something. Otherwise, that dock is going to be a thing of beauty (sarcasm).
    Didn't the most recent version of a plan have the loading docks below ground

I honestly don't know. I remember the gazette article mentioning that.

I personally can't wait to see new buildings/hotels replacing the old ugly warehouses along the new I-40.. I CAN NOT WAIT TO DRIVE ON IT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    I think the overall intent is for the majority of traffic exiting to downtown will take the new boulevard....with limited access from the rest of I-40. I'm sure everyone already knows that though.
    Bad idea IMO. One accident could cause gridlock. The more options the better for traffic flow.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCNDN View Post
    Bad idea IMO. One accident could cause gridlock. The more options the better for traffic flow.
    I disagree, for one, most of the traffic is pass through. I drive through twice daily and during East bound traffic, most that go to downtown get off on Walker. For the new road, I can see 2 lanes funneling off at Agnew and the 4 lane road of the new boulevard should handle it just fine.

One thing is for sure, we're going to get to see both ways over the next 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCNDN View Post
    This is why I would prefer they just restore the original grid and drop the boulevard. The pie pieces left over at each intersection is a walkability nightmare.

At least the boulevard restores direct access to Bricktown from I-40. Lincoln ramp has been closed for about 3-4 years now.

Does anyone else find it ironic that they have much more protection for people/items going over the parapets above the train tracks vs the roads; as their are probably less than 30 trains per day going through here but outside of like midnight to five AM anything falling on the interstate lanes is almost assured to get hit by at least one possibly multiple vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Does anyone else find it ironic that they have much more protection for people/items going over the parapets above the train tracks vs the roads; as their are probably less than 30 trains per day going through here but outside of like midnight to five AM anything falling on the interstate lanes is almost assured to get hit by at least one possibly multiple vehicles.
    Those "throw fences" are pretty much required by the railroads these days if you want to build anything over their right-of-way. Not sure why as I never heard of a bunch of trains having stuff thrown at them. Some looney somewhere probably did something spectacularly stupid and now they are required.

I used to work on the railroad and it's normal to have kids throwing things at the trains. Doesn't sound too bad until you find out it includes item such as bricks and large rocks. One crew ended up with a 12" X 18" rock breaking through the front window of the cab of the locomotive, they were lucky no one was seriously hurt. This was entering Kansas City during the 80's. Thrown derbis was at least an every other trip event.

Those "throw fences" are pretty much required by the railroads these days if you want to build anything over their right-of-way. Not sure why as I never heard of a bunch of trains having stuff thrown at them. Some looney somewhere probably did something spectacularly stupid and now they are required.
    Quote Originally Posted by workman45 View Post
    I used to work on the railroad and it's normal to have kids throwing things at the trains. Doesn't sound too bad until you find out it includes item such as bricks and large rocks. One crew ended up with a 12" X 18" rock breaking through the front window of the cab of the locomotive, they were lucky no one was seriously hurt. This was entering Kansas City during the 80's. Thrown derbis was at least an every other trip event.
    I forgot that permission has to be acquired to build over/under them, since for the most part it just shifts that type of stupid behavior down the bridge which magnifies it's affect on smaller vehicles, hopefully it is not as common anymore.

Thread Information