Widgets Magazine
Page 23 of 79 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272873 ... LastLast

Thread: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

Default Re: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

We've hashed this before, I drive thru there twice daily 5 days a week, and I just don't see how they can open both directions by December 21. I can see the East bound I-40, but not the West bound.

They were starting to pour the roadbed for the last 2 lanes for the East bound connection for the new I-40 into I-235/ I-35 this morning....The connection for West bound I-40 has not been started at either end of the new roadway.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    We've hashed this before, I drive thru there twice daily 5 days a week, and I just don't see how they can open both directions by December 21. I can see the East bound I-40, but not the West bound.

They were starting to pour the roadbed for the last 2 lanes for the East bound connection for the new I-40 into I-235/ I-35 this morning....The connection for West bound I-40 has not been started at either end of the new roadway.
    If your talking strictly about the east and west connections, I believe the assumption is they would put down temporary asphalt IF they were going to switch over both lanes of traffic.

East bound looks as if they will have the concrete totally poured. I can see where they can do a temporary connection on West bound with asphalt.

Instead of continuing speculation, I guess I could email my ODOT guy and see what info he can give.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Instead of continuing speculation, I guess I could email my ODOT guy and see what info he can give.
    I would recommend that.

Yep, we need an official update.

Email sent. Probably be Monday before a reply is received so hold tight!

Got an email response back from my guy. Basically, eastbound will be transferred first with westbound shortly following as they create the bottleneck scenario. At that time all traffic will be on the new alignment while said westbound connectors are constructed. As for a date, he could not specify and it seemed as though the December 21st date was false info. So look for some time in 2012 for the whole project to be completed!

Thanks, that clears it up a bit.

Thanks; I thought December 21st sounded way too soon, like everyone else.

"Sometime in 2012"... Another open-ended date.

Anybody remember the original timeline for this project? Wasn't it supposed to be finished years ago?

Driving to work on the crosstown today, trying to get this picture out of my head:

By the looks of it, westbound will cross back to its own side after sharing the Agnew and May bridge with eastbound. There is an unfinished gap on the far left hand lane of the new eastbound side just before reaching the May bridge. Presumably this is so there is more room to provide a more gradual decline.

Quote Originally Posted by SSEiYah View Post
    Driving to work on the crosstown today, trying to get this picture out of my head:

Dude, you're scaring me. =(

I'm not as scared for the crosstown falling, as they do inspect it very regularly, as the issue of zero shoulders...anytime a car stalls, etc, it's a serious traffic issue on the bridge. The new road will have shoulders along with the extra lanes.

I'm not as scared for the crosstown falling, as they do inspect it very regularly, as the issue of zero shoulders...anytime a car stalls, etc, it's a serious traffic issue on the bridge. The new road will have shoulders along with the extra lanes.
    They can inspect it all they want.. One good earthquake could do that to a bridge that "appears" good enough for traffic. I just hope and pray none of us are on it when it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Watson410 View Post
    They can inspect it all they want.. One good earthquake could do that to a bridge that "appears" good enough for traffic. I just hope and pray none of us are on it when it happens.
    You could be in your car, setting in your driveway and one major earthquake could be the end.

I'm not as scared for the crosstown falling, as they do inspect it very regularly....
    That stretch has been falling apart even without earthquakes... I drive it when I have to, but any extra factors working against the crosstown -- especially the earthquakes -- certainly doesn't boost my confidence in its integrity.

Quote Originally Posted by pete brzycki
    Anybody remember the original timeline for this project? Wasn't it supposed to be finished years ago?
    for the past several years, 2012 is the target date i've always heard. -M

Well shucks ! We're going to get the Skydance bridge as a Christmas present and then we'll have to wait several months to drive under it.

Well shucks ! We're going to get the Skydance bridge as a Christmas present and then we'll have to wait several months to drive under it.
    Kinda like when you order something online and have to wait a week or so to get the product depending on the shipping. Lol

Here is some information relevant to the opening of the new I-40. ODOT is currently in the process of taking bids for the project that includes constructing the westbound bridge over Agnew. Those bids will be opened on November 17, 2011 and the contract will be awarded on December 5, 2011. ODOT has the plans for that project available on their web page (some looking is required). In the plans, it clearly shows that the starting configuration for traffic on I-40 is on the new road. Specifically, three lanes of traffic in each direction will use the eastbound Agnew bridge. There usually are a couple months of time between when a contract is awarded and when construction starts. That would imply an early 2012 start which means traffic would already have to be on the new I-40 by then.

Quote Originally Posted by vaflyer View Post
    Here is some information relevant to the opening of the new I-40. ODOT is currently in the process of taking bids for the project that includes constructing the westbound bridge over Agnew. Those bids will be opened on November 17, 2011 and the contract will be awarded on December 5, 2011. ODOT has the plans for that project available on their web page (some looking is required). In the plans, it clearly shows that the starting configuration for traffic on I-40 is on the new road. Specifically, three lanes of traffic in each direction will use the eastbound Agnew bridge. There usually are a couple months of time between when a contract is awarded and when construction starts. That would imply an early 2012 start which means traffic would already have to be on the new I-40 by then.
    Your right and looking ahead the first boulevard related project will go out to bid in January. I think December or January is a safe bet even though ODOT does not want to commit to any specific date.

They may not want to make some kind of promise in case the weather went bad and the contractors couldn't get it open.

The overhead sign structures on the west end went up today. Also, the new Lincoln bridge will open tomorrow and the detour road going directly across the new I-40 will close.

The press release says the mainline paving contracts will be completed within a few months and the crosstown bridge will be demolished in 2012.

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/newsm...n_advances.pdf

Thread Information