Widgets Magazine
Page 21 of 79 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252671 ... LastLast

Thread: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

Default Re: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    One article I read it sounded like it was designed so driving 70 mph would be safe but would likely not be the posted limit. Given most people drive 5 to 10 over the posted limit it makes sense to plan for what people do anyway.
    True. That's actually pretty smart on their behalf. I usually go about 5 over and rarely do I pass people cause they're all going the same speed as me, and sometimes people will go a little faster than me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    This will be interesting to see how they pull it off. They built a new westbound bridge over May, I've been to the Foward I-40 site and it shows in pretty good detail all of the connections. I 'd like for them to move us on over to the new road ASAP......
    I'm curious if that westbound bridge is finished or not. They may demolish the center span that eastbound currently uses and add a lane or two to the newer westbound bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    I'm curious if that westbound bridge is finished or not. They may demolish the center span that eastbound currently uses and add a lane or two to the newer westbound bridge.
    Most likely if they do that, westbound traffic will be squeezed down and diverted to the new eastbound side.

Their is enough room for the new weatbound bridge itself to fit without destroying the bridge first but to do so with the old eastbound bridge and traffic going west still operating will complicate the foundation of the new westbound lanes just west of the bridge. The new eastbound bridge can already accommodate 7 lanes in it's normal configuration if they temporarily use both the breakdown land and the right shoulder.

5. Default Re: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

Guys, just be patience and wait for it all to be completed, then feel free to drive on it when allowed.

Their is enough room for the new weatbound bridge itself to fit without destroying the bridge first but to do so with the old eastbound bridge and traffic going west still operating will complicate the foundation of the new westbound lanes just west of the bridge. The new eastbound bridge can already accommodate 7 lanes in it's normal configuration if they temporarily use both the breakdown land and the right shoulder.
    Not sure if were taking about the same bridge. I was taking about the westbound bridge at May Avenue that they built way back at the beginning of the project. Surely it will have more lanes than it does now. The new eastbound(under construction at the time of this image) is almost as big as the current eastbound and westbound put together.

jn1780 -

I'd like to know about the new west bound bridge over Agnew - the new east bound bridge has been up for a good year, but it looks to me that they will have to close the East bound exit to Agnew to have room for construction. That's unless they somehow divert the traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by thunder View Post
    guys, just be patience and wait for it all to be completed, then feel free to drive on it when allowed.
    nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!
    We want our new I-40 and we want it now!!

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    We want our new I-40 and we want it now!!
    It's my money and I need it NOW!!

I drove it the other day. The posted speed limit was 10 mph...

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    I drove it the other day. The posted speed limit was 10 mph...
    Have you seen the central span lately? Just wondering how much progress they have made on that section. If I was judging progress on the eastern and western sections alone, I would say their a couple of months from being able to shift eastbound over.

Have you seen the central span lately? Just wondering how much progress they have made on that section. If I was judging progress on the eastern and western sections alone, I would say their a couple of months from being able to shift eastbound over.
    In one of the meetings it sounded like they wanted to be able to do divert traffic in case another large chunk falls out of the old crosstown by January-ish but it would still going to be mid 2012 before they would expect to be moving traffic over if no real incidences happen with the old one.

In one of the meetings it sounded like they wanted to be able to do divert traffic in case another large chunk falls out of the old crosstown by January-ish but it would still going to be mid 2012 before they would expect to be moving traffic over if no real incidences happen with the old one.
    That's before any traffic at all is shifted over, right? The westbound bridge at Agnew will take at least six months I'm guessing. So that would mean late 2012 until everything is shifted.

That's before any traffic at all is shifted over, right? The westbound bridge at Agnew will take at least six months I'm guessing. So that would mean late 2012 until everything is shifted.
    The details were not elaborated on but what I expected was that both lanes would go on the new eastbound bridge until the westbound one is finished. It is 5 normal lanes with two spare on each side for breakdown, so at least 3 each way with comfortable room on each side could be done.

ODOT has done a terrible job keeping people informed and updating their website.

No new photos or videos for over six months, right when there is actually a lot of activity taking place.

They always blame funding for delays and cost overruns but it seems pretty obvious they aren't particularly good even at things that are completely within their control.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    ODOT has done a terrible job keeping people informed and updating their website.

No new photos or videos for over six months, right when there is actually a lot of activity taking place.

They always blame funding for delays and cost overruns but it seems pretty obvious they aren't particularly good even at things that are completely within their control.
    I guess whoever left ODOT was the only person who cared about updating the 40 Forward website, apparently.

18. Default Re: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

Not to mention the department of transportation website is vintage 1995...

I guess whoever left ODOT was the only person who cared about updating the 40 Forward website, apparently.
    Seriously. I get on there sometimes just hoping for an update but everytime I try to, it's the same as it's always been. Very frusterating. Atleast we know it'll open sometime next year, given that something absolutely crushing doesn't happen.

I suspect that the i40 crosstown website only had resources due to how controversial it had been earlier on, as the possibility of court rulings or political will to change the path dwindled so did any need they felt to keep it up. According to it's timeline no work or contracts have happened since 2010.

I apologize in advance for this ..... but is ODOT good at anything??

Road maintenance? No.
    Bridge maintenance? No.
    Cost estimation for projects? No.
    Understanding there are modes of transportation other than highways? No.
    Public relations? No.

22. Default Re: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

They are aware of OKCTalk so I bet they figured that we all will keep posting pictures while they play on the work clock. They want us to do it free so they don't have to pay someone to go out there for pix and update their outdated site.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    They are aware of OKCTalk so I bet they figured that we all will keep posting pictures while they play on the work clock. They want us to do it free so they don't have to pay someone to go out there for pix and update their outdated site.
    They're not that smart. (I kid)

Heard from a very reliable source that we will be driving on I 40 by the end of the year. I hope so.....

25. Default Re: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

Quote Originally Posted by mike1k View Post
    Heard from a very reliable source that we will be driving on I 40 by the end of the year. I hope so.....
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I highly doubt that. :-)

Thread Information