Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 79 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141560 ... LastLast

Thread: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

1. Default Re: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

ODOT's calendar... When they say a specific year, it usually translate into the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd year afterward.

Default Re: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

Oh, I'm familiar with ODOT. What I meant to ask was, if they mean completed by 2012, does that mean we'll get something resembling a road by 2015 that will need to be repaved by 2017.

3. Default Re: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    Oh, I'm familiar with ODOT. What I meant to ask was, if they mean completed by 2012, does that mean we'll get something resembling a road by 2015 that will need to be repaved by 2017.
    ODOT doesn't build freeways like that anymore.

Lake Hefner Parkway... Started 1990, completed 1992. Still doesn't need to be repaved.

Broadway Extension widening... Started 1998, completed in 2000. Still doesn't need to be repaved.

Now, even though I-35 in south OKC began widening in 1992 near SE 15th and was completed in 2005 in Moore, the pavement is still in good condition. I've discussed these projects before. ODOT now uses a new method called white topping. Unfortunately because of budget constraints, I-35 in Norman was widened with asphalt. I-40 will be white-topped.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

4. Default Re: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

okcpulse, I hate it when ODOT uses white concrete. You would think they be smart to keep them all black. :-(

I heard late 2012 a couple of years ago. There is one more paving contract that will go up for bid in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
    ODOT doesn't build freeways like that anymore.

Lake Hefner Parkway... Started 1990, completed 1992. Still doesn't need to be repaved.

Broadway Extension widening... Started 1998, completed in 2000. Still doesn't need to be repaved. ...
    or do they?
    In May 2002, federal funding was secured to finance replacement of the Oklahoma City Crosstown. Rather than replace the existing structure, a new stretch of I-40 will be constructed about five blocks south of the current location. Initial estimates of the Crosstown replacement project were that the project would take 8 years with a completion date of 2010,[9] and would cost $360 million dollars.[10]
    Then according to an ODOT Timeline document:

1) the relocated 1-40 was to be completed in 2007

2) The Boulevard was to be constructed in 2008-09

3) Completion dates of all of the above in 2010.

Originally, the relocation and replacement Boulevard where considered one project, then gradually they kept subdividing it. Initial cost of the entire project was to be $236M and to date, the total cost is triple that amount.

They have stuck with the 2012 date for quite a while now, but recently stated that it would be the end of 2012 before the relocation opened (wouldn't take much to push it into 2013 etc). Then we have the resulting Boulevard dates to factor in and the "completion" is quite aways form the original timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    okcpulse, I hate it when ODOT uses white concrete. You would think they be smart to keep them all black. :-(
    What elementary school do you go to?

Hmmm....I've never seen black concrete. Do you have pics Thunder? Lmao.

9. Default Re: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

Quote Originally Posted by Watson410 View Post
    Hmmm....I've never seen black concrete. Do you have pics Thunder? Lmao.
    They are everywhere. It is just whoever decide white or black. I prefer black. They do fade after a year or so.

Thunder, you are thinking of asphalt. Not the same as concrete.

Thought I'd post two pictures taken last week.

This picture was taken looking west. A lot of the subgrade work has been done, geotextile (black stuff) has been put down and steel is place. This section will be Contiunuously Reinforced Concrete Pavement

From wikipedia: Continuously Reinforced Concrete Pavements (CRCP) do not require any transverse contraction joints. Transverse cracks are expected in the slab, usually at intervals of 3–5 ft. CRCP pavements are designed with enough steel, 0.6–0.7% by cross-sectional area, so that cracks are held together tightly. Determining an appropriate spacing between the cracks is part of the design process for this type of pavement.

Continuously reinforced designs generally cost more than jointed reinforced or jointed plain designs initially due to increased quantities of steel. However, they can demonstrate superior long-term performance and cost-effectiveness. A number of agencies choose to use CRCP designs in their heavy urban traffic corridors.

This picture was taken looking northeast at the south side of Union Station. It didn't really turn out but the darker panels of retaining wall in front of Union Station have "OKLAHOMA CITY" cast into them. I'm sure they'll be painted or stained to stand out at a later date. The temporary rail tracks are in the foreground.

Sorry there isn't more

Thanks jonno!

I simply can't believe how long this project is taking, especially since they don't have to deal with any existing traffic.

Its hard to believe it will take almost two more years before the new interstate opens.

Their original 8 year time estimate included two years for the boulevard, which is now not part of the immediate plan.

So, it was supposed to take 6 years (which in itself seems a bit absurd for four miles of freeway) and now it's going to be at least 10 and probably longer.

10+ years for four miles of freeway!! Good Grief.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Thanks jonno!

I simply can't believe how long this project is taking, especially since they don't have to deal with any existing traffic.
    No interstate traffic, they have already built two temporary train divisions and demolished one of them already.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    LOL, Yes you are familiar with ODOT! Couldn't have said it better myself. It will be a miracle if this project is completed by 2015.

Blog Entries

How much of the timing is because of funds availability? Contracts can't be let without funds.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    How much of the timing is because of funds availability? Contracts can't be let without funds.
    I thought all the contracts have been let.

I remember a link to a story on here towards the end of last year (thought it was written by Steve) saying that one paving contract had been awarded and the other two would be awarded sometime this spring. I wish that all the sections would use the Continuously Reinforced Concrete Pavement that Jonno mentioned, as it appears to be the longest lasting technique.

Rover:

I am sure funding played a part since I think most was thru the Feds (ran across an article that the State wasn't contributing anything, but that may have changed). Know funding was an issue on redoing the Ft. Smith Junction...took something like 10 years or so for it.

their were also several lawsuits about union station, probably some others as well

22. Default Re: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

Yep. That's called 'Job Security.'

I don't believe the lawsuits held up construction, and if they did, it wasn't by much.

24. Default Re: The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

Their original 8 year time estimate included two years for the boulevard, which is now not part of the immediate plan.

So, it was supposed to take 6 years (which in itself seems a bit absurd for four miles of freeway) and now it's going to be at least 10 and probably longer.

Gotta keep in mind a good portion of that timeline was acquisition and demolition. Then comes the mail-chewing process of relocating utilities.

The freeway itself will be done by 2012. It's the boulevard that is the issue and is unfunded.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

Quote Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
    Gotta keep in mind a good portion of that timeline was acquisition and demolition. Then comes the mail-chewing process of relocating utilities.

The freeway itself will be done by 2012. It's the boulevard that is the issue and is unfunded.
    the boulevard is now almost totally funded and is on the odot 8 years plans with funds totalling over 50 mil
    http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/cwp-8...p2011-2018.pdf

Thread Information