|sq. feet=
    |acerage=
    |other=
    |
    |image=
    |
    [/template]
    Information & Latest News

proposed designs at OKC Central — All about downtown OKC and I'm polling visitors on whether they like the design.
    Links

Gallery

2. Default Re: Bricktown Fire Station

AWFUL, awful, awful. Pitched metal roof? Are they serious???

Default Re: Bricktown Fire Station

Are you sure that's not going into Edmond?

Are they serious???

I think I can speak for a lot of firefighters having worked in district 601, downtown, for a long time. We were, and still are, really looking forward to a traditional, Chicago or New York type firehouse at least for the exterior. I am not an architect and don't know all the terminology but this design is not it.
    We also were pushing for a two story type design but were advised the fire pole could not be installed in any new station for fear of injuries, lawsuits etc.
    The last thing we want is more delays though, this fire station was supposed to have been built with the bond money from the 2000 bond issue and we're still only in the design stage.

5. Default Re: Bricktown Fire Station

It's not worth building another crappy Edmond building for the sake of time.

Where is this going to be located at? I think that might have a lot to do with the design. If it is closer to Deep Deuce, Block 42 and the one attached to Deep Deuce (the name escapes me at the time) then I think a more urban design would be ok. If it is IN Bricktown near the older buildings, etc, then a more traditional design would be appropriate.

NW corner of Sheridan and Lincoln.

Sounds like it may second as a public restroom, visitor center for travelers entering Bricktown from the east.

Cuatro, Our dishwasher recently bit the dust at the firehouse. It took eight weeks from the first paperwork and phone call reporting this to the proper person until a new dishwasher was delivered. Don't worry about anything getting done too quick. And yes, we are thankful we have dishwashers provided to us by the city.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Where is this going to be located at? I think that might have a lot to do with the design. If it is closer to Deep Deuce, Block 42 and the one attached to Deep Deuce (the name escapes me at the time) then I think a more urban design would be ok. If it is IN Bricktown near the older buildings, etc, then a more traditional design would be appropriate.
    That makes no sense, why a more "traditional" style in Bricktown and a more urban design away from Bricktown? I think you meant that the other way around. Either way, this design is clearly a lack of vision and not it. I hope this goes back to the drawing boards.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    That makes no sense, why a more "traditional" style in Bricktown and a more urban design away from Bricktown? I think you meant that the other way around. Either way, this design is clearly a lack of vision and not it. I hope this goes back to the drawing boards.
    Right, strike that, reverse it.

Seems to me this would be a prime opportunity to do a traditional urban style fire station w/o a pitched roof, maybe do a "Green" fire station with a green roof, no not the type on the ballpark and JDM either. That way you could use some of the height for that type of roof system so it doesn't look like a low-slung suburban station even though it is only a single story station.

GreenRoofs.com - Sustainable Head-Quarters:The West Midlands Fire and Rescue Authority

.oO(cute ... hope no calls come in, gotta mow the roof today)Oo.

I don't see why they can't build a two story firehouse. If they are worried about "insurance" or "liability" don't put the pole in and just put stairs. What we're talking about a 7 second increase in the amount of time it takes them to get downstairs? I know speed is important in getting to an emergency, but I don't think that should kill the deal just because of insurance purposes.

13. Default Re: Bricktown Fire Station

Or just don't put the living/sleeping facilities upstairs.

Could probably just use an enclosed slide from the bedroom to the rig room.

This station was originally supposed to go on the southwest corner of NE 2 and Stiles (I can't remember the new street name there?) It would not fit on that lot so they were considering building a two story in attempt to squeeze it on. That's when the two story issues came up and it was ruled out.

I think that it is interesting that Firemen (and women), can't use a pole to slide down, due to it being a liability.

Firemen put their lives in danger, day in and day out, but a fire pole is a liability?

16. Default Re: Bricktown Fire Station

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Seems to me this would be a prime opportunity to do a traditional urban style fire station w/o a pitched roof, maybe do a "Green" fire station with a green roof, no not the type on the ballpark and JDM either. That way you could use some of the height for that type of roof system so it doesn't look like a low-slung suburban station even though it is only a single story station.

GreenRoofs.com - Sustainable Head-Quarters:The West Midlands Fire and Rescue Authority
    Excellent idea!

Cool!

Is that a hot tub up there?

Sold!!

I hate that design. I agree, we should have a traditional appearing firehouse. That will not fit in in Bricktown at all.

it is odd that a simple pole slide is too great a liability exposure for firefighters.

After all, with or without a 2 second pole dance, they hear the call, suit up and race through traffic to face toxic fumes, extreme heat, collapsing beams, walls and more, along with the bonus bennie of an occasional explosion of one size or another.

Seems to me the minimal amount of pole time should be counted as some of the safest moments of their lives.

So, will a few e-mails to city council members have any effect? This design is bad enough to be worthy of that, IMO.

Heck, the Bethany Fire Department has a more urban design than this thing, and it's two stories with a pole! I tried googling to find a picture of it but can't find one. Does anyone have a picture of the Bethany Firehouse? Maybe Doug or someone to the Oklahoman's archives?

I am sure they could get some pole sliding training at the Red Dawg and get some sort of Pole Certification.

The Bethany Firestation is my favorite in the city.

the city council and fire chief has approved the design. the construction documents are being drawn up as we speak. it will get built as the renderings show. of course anything can be put on hold i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by sgt. pepper View Post
    the city council and fire chief has approved the design. the construction documents are being drawn up as we speak. it will get built as the renderings show. of course anything can be put on hold i guess.
    I don't like the design at all, it looks way to suburban. That said..I guess its to late for my 2 cents, but I'd much rather see something like one of these:

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Heck, the Bethany Fire Department has a more urban design than this thing, and it's two stories with a pole! I tried googling to find a picture of it but can't find one. Does anyone have a picture of the Bethany Firehouse? Maybe Doug or someone to the Oklahoman's archives?
    I live about 1/2 mile from the Bethany station, I'll try to get a pic of it.....no promises.

Thread Information