Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bricktown Fire Station

Default Re: Bricktown Fire Station

Pleased to assist in amusing you.
    There's something near poetic about that actually.

If the rendering is reasonably accurate, it'll look right nice where it's going

They still need to go back to drawing board. I would seriously question these crappy architecture firms that they keep going with. Surely there is someone in this city who can design a real downtown fire station and not take years to do it. I sympathize with anyone who's been waiting on this project but the quality of the work that's still being submitted is not good enough.

Can someone explain why they just will not put the fire station right up against the street? The design is still something that could just as easily go in Moore or Edmond. This is a joke. This firm has been told no several times now and they still don't get it. Now it will probably be approved just because people are tired of waiting on it, and it's just embarrassing to not get a project off a DECADE after the bond was passed..

Spartan, rest assured, we get the highest quality product the lowest bid will buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    They still need to go back to drawing board. I would seriously question these crappy architecture firms that they keep going with. Surely there is someone in this city who can design a real downtown fire station and not take years to do it. I sympathize with anyone who's been waiting on this project but the quality of the work that's still being submitted is not good enough.

Can someone explain why they just will not put the fire station right up against the street? The design is still something that could just as easily go in Moore or Edmond. This is a joke. This firm has been told no several times now and they still don't get it. Now it will probably be approved just because people are tired of waiting on it, and it's just embarrassing to not get a project off a DECADE after the bond was passed..
    It is approved.

Steve, I'm sure if you'd written the NewsOK article, it would have been more informative. I can't believe an article published today didn't note the fact that bids were received last week (Dec. 1). Further, it says "the project will start moving faster now that a site for the station has been selected". The site has been known since March/April, when Steve published his first report.

Second, the article says "Outside the new station, the fire department will display a 1910 fire truck, one of the first motorized fire apparatuses in Oklahoma City." Just looking at the drawing, it's obvious that the 1910 will be displayed in the building, not outside.

I don't think its fair to blame the architect on time for this project. The time involved was due to looking for a site. From what I had heard, the station was to be originally included as a combination station with Police, but when Police decided to go with the Rock Island location, Fire had to start over. Also, if I understand correctly, the 2000 Bond election was done in December 2000. That meant that the first bonds couldn't be sold until May 2001. If that's so, then a project couldn't be designed until a year after that, since an architect/engineer couldn't be hired until bond funds were available. The 2000 bond election was essentially a 7 year bond, which meant that projects were planned over those years... timing is no simple matter.

Although the design of the Bricktown station is not strictly urban, at least they used divided light doors and made some attempt to use both contemporary and more traditional elements. I'd be more distressed about it's lack of urbanness if it were being built right down in Bricktown. But, since it's going over on Lincoln, there's a buffer zone between it and Bricktown proper. Who knows what will be built on that land?

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    Who knows what will be built on that land?
    Bob Mienders might know... He's got a bid amount of property just sitting there now, on both sides of Sheridan.

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    Bob Mienders might know... He's got a bid amount of property just sitting there now, on both sides of Sheridan.
    Yes, you're right, and whatever gets built there, based on the considerable amount of property he owns, will effectively block any view of the fire station from Bricktown. The firestation will be closer to Bass Pro than to Bricktown, and so I don't think its design is quite as critical. It's not bad looking either, and I like the idea of showcasing the old fire engine.

Cafeboeuf, I can appreciate your explanation of how the bonds work. Can I ask if you know how projects are prioritized? Can anyone add an explanation about how the 2 fire stations are finally being built 9 years after the vote? My understanding is that there was a combined PD/FD building in the beginning. The police station has been open for about 4 years. I cant think it took the city 4 more years to find a plot for station 6. The police substation at 89/Santa Fe was part of it also, That project was done a couple of years ago. Station 4 is under way and should be done by October 2010. The story we were told about that station, in the area of Memorial and Hogback taking so long was all the landowners were raising the prices sky high, because Aubrey McClendon is buying all the land in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemarsh51 View Post
    Cafeboeuf, I can appreciate your explanation of how the bonds work. Can I ask if you know how projects are prioritized? Can anyone add an explanation about how the 2 fire stations are finally being built 9 years after the vote? My understanding is that there was a combined PD/FD building in the beginning. The police station has been open for about 4 years. I cant think it took the city 4 more years to find a plot for station 6. The police substation at 89/Santa Fe was part of it also, That project was done a couple of years ago. Station 4 is under way and should be done by October 2010. The story we were told about that station, in the area of Memorial and Hogback taking so long was all the landowners were raising the prices sky high, because Aubrey McClendon is buying all the land in the area.
    I'm not sure how they were prioritized. I do believe they wanted to wait for the Fire Station location study to be done in order to correctly locate Station 4. It's quite interesting what all goes into buying property (large enough for a well and septic, etc.). I think Public Works had a hard time finding the right size for the right price.

I would love for Public Works to publish something on their website about how they prioritize. If it's a project for another Dept. (Fire, Parks, etc.), the other Dept. often gets to drive the timing. If they don't ask Public Works to move, they won't move. Also, the Finance Dept. gets involved with deciding which bonds are sold each year. Usually, everyone wants everything, so they have to pick and choose which projects go first.

10. Default Re: Bricktown Fire Station

Quote Originally Posted by spartan View Post
    they still need to go back to drawing board. I would seriously question these crappy architecture firms that they keep going with. Surely there is someone in this city who can design a real downtown fire station and not take years to do it. I sympathize with anyone who's been waiting on this project but the quality of the work that's still being submitted is not good enough.

Can someone explain why they just will not put the fire station right up against the street? The design is still something that could just as easily go in moore or edmond. This is a joke. This firm has been told no several times now and they still don't get it. Now it will probably be approved just because people are tired of waiting on it, and it's just embarrassing to not get a project off a decade after the bond was passed..
    x2

This a a little off subject, but I wish someone with inside knowledge of the OKC Fire Department would start a Fire Department History Thread. I know we have the Fire Fighters Museum, but I would guess several on this Thread would have some good storys/comments to share.

I just turned 50, and lived just W. of Downtown on NW 3rd and Blackwelder until my family moved in 1970, I have fond memories of the Station that was at NW 2nd and Douglas and the fireman that worked there.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post

I like this design. I could see such a fire station with brick and lots of glass being a better gateway building to Bricktown at Lincoln & Sheridan.

Any updates on a redesign?
    I couldn't read further onto other pages because I just couldn't stand to let this one go... Forgive me if has already been addressed.

Please no glass! Thursdays are glass and polishing days. Oh my gosh that would take an eternity! If you consider yourselves people of morality, please vote no on glass!

Brought to you by a former NTMer, and currently the self appointed president of the Speak Out Against Windows at Firedepartment Locations (SO-AWFL) movement.

Quote Originally Posted by MGE1977 View Post
    I couldn't read further onto other pages because I just couldn't stand to let this one go... Forgive me if has already been addressed.

Please no glass! Thursdays are glass and polishing days. Oh my gosh that would take an eternity! If you consider yourselves people of morality, please vote no on glass!

Brought to you by a former NTMer, and currently the self appointed president of the Speak Out Against Windows at Firedepartment Locations (SO-AWFL) movement.
    I'm not a fireman, but I agree, glass cleaning days would be a pane (I know, bad pun but I couldn't help myself). I'm afraid they would have trouble keeping this new station staffed.

I'm a former and present YTMer, does SO-AWFL have a web site or facebook page.

Looking for investors. Meeting heavy opposition from the Windex lobby that stands to make quite a profit on such a building.

RCjunkie, since you asked, I will loan you my OCFD yearbooks. The history of the department is in there. You will have to use spellcheck though.

RCjunkie, since you asked, I will loan you my OCFD yearbooks. The history of the department is in there. You will have to use spellcheck though.
    Some either can't, or won't, let the election go, oh well, I promise Mike, it willl get better with each passing day. Take care and have a Great Weekend

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    This a a little off subject, but I wish someone with inside knowledge of the OKC Fire Department would start a Fire Department History Thread. I know we have the Fire Fighters Museum, but I would guess several on this Thread would have some good storys/comments to share.

I just turned 50, and lived just W. of Downtown on NW 3rd and Blackwelder until my family moved in 1970, I have fond memories of the Station that was at NW 2nd and Douglas and the fireman that worked there.

The More You Look/The More You See

Some good pictures here. I'm looking for another link for a chronology from 1889 to present. We had one linked to the city's website under the fire department heading, can't seem to locate it.

Really a good idea for a thread....

Hey, a point about the BT firehouse. (perhaps not a new sentiment, I don't know).

People really like to take pictures outside hansome looking firehouses. It's something of its own attraction and firemen out on the apron washing the rigs, or sitting on the park benches watching cars go by after hours are very approachable to people in need of directions, and or medical care, etc.

I think we need as handsome and fitting a plan as is feasible. I'm not terribly keen on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by MGE1977 View Post
    The More You Look/The More You See

Some good pictures here. I'm looking for another link for a chronology from 1889 to present. We had one linked to the city's website under the fire department heading, can't seem to locate it.

Really a good idea for a thread....
    Thanks for the information

I can remember going to the Station at NW 2nd and Douglas when I was around 9 or 10, they would always show us around the Station, let us set on one of the trucks. If we stopped by on our bikes while they were washing the Fire Trucks, they would let us use their soap buckets and hose to wash our bikes, they would also help us check the tire pressure on our bikes, neat stuff when your a little kid. I'm sure we got on their nerves at times, but they never showed it.
    I also remember going to the Fire Station to get a City tag for our bikes.

Oh come on RCJunkie, where is your sense of humor? Did you know that the station by where you grew up was #4, that was moved to 100 sw 4th. which is the station they are now relocating to the far northeast side of town?

On a side note, my wife asked me what I would think if Maps3 passed? I said I would be happy with that. I am a supporter of maps. I am a bigger supporter of my department though. Hugs and love to everyone.

Oh come on RCJunkie, where is your sense of humor? Did you know that the station by where you grew up was #4, that was moved to 100 sw 4th. which is the station they are now relocating to the far northeast side of town?

On a side note, my wife asked me what I would think if Maps3 passed? I said I would be happy with that. I am a supporter of maps. I am a bigger supporter of my department though. Hugs and love to everyone.

Sorry Mike, I've taken my chill pills, and my sense of humor has returned.
    If the station at 100 SW 4th is moving to the far NE side of town, what station will cover this area--new Bricktown ?

Even though the NOT THIS MAPS crowd and the YES THIS MAPS CROWD, couldn't agree on this issure, I know that we are all passoniate about the success of our City. I'll admit I said a few things that were uncalled for and downright rude/mean, and for that I apologize. I want nothing but the best for all the citizens, and especially for the employees of OKC.

Sorry Mike, I've taken my chill pills, and my sense of humor has returned.
    If the station at 100 SW 4th is moving to the far NE side of town, what station will cover this area--new Bricktown ?
    Different Mike here. The new BT station will be #6. The current #6 @ N.E. 8th & Lincoln will be closed.

Even though the NOT THIS MAPS crowd and the YES THIS MAPS CROWD, couldn't agree on this issure, I know that we are all passoniate about the success of our City. I'll admit I said a few things that were uncalled for and downright rude/mean, and for that I apologize. I want nothing but the best for all the citizens, and especially for the employees of OKC.
    Likewise

Thread Information