Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ninth & Broadway

1. Default Re: East of Broadway on Ninth...

This is what I get for trying to participate here while fighting with VPN connections and deadlines! I've been outed as being clueless!

Default Re: East of Broadway on Ninth...

Metro,
    Calling my comment laughable is hardly warranted. Heritage hills has a long history of supporting restaurants in the area, Cafe do Brasil, Java Dave's, Cheever's, and even now places like 1492. As a resident of the neighborhood I see a neighbor of mine in those places every time I go in, and when they were first starting residents made it a point to support the restaurants nearby.

With a restuarant you make your overhead on the weekend (or other nights like game nights) and profit during the week. Yes, Iguana is a great place and I have been going there since their days on western, and they do very well, but that was not the thrust of my statement. It is my opinion that a large number restaurants will start to crowd one another out if the are opened before auto alley becomes a true destination for dining.

Don't get me wrong, I would love for nothing more than the whole downtown area to fully realize the potential it has always had and I believe it will. I would just hate to see restaurateurs go belly up in the process thus giving entrepreneurs second thoughts about the whole area.

OKCSC, you're a month late to the party, and it seemed several others (who live in the neighborhood) commented in agreement. So basically your basis of point is YOUR OPINION, and my basis is MY OPINION and others opinons and seeing Iguana constantly packed out and the local crowd wanting more options. Agree to disagree.

Metro,
    Haha yeah vacations have been know to cause tardiness. First I just want to say I definitely respect a difference of opinion.

However I think we can agree that attracting the spending of more suburban crowds is essential to the development of the area. And that such spending only makes its way into the area intermittently (though it is increasing).

I think that you must also agree that this site carries a bias towards success and progress (not saying that is a bad thing). Everyone posting here wants to see new places open and succeed, but that alone should not suffice as proof for the ability to support more restaurants in the area.

We can debate all we want but ultimately, a new place will open and then another and another, and then we will be able to tell. I hope I am proved wrong.

This may be a bit off subject, but why has Automobile Alley not been a focus for residential development? To me, it seems like an obvious area for that, and has been for some time?

There have been a couple of condo/apartment developments proposed... Hopefully they'll eventually get back on track.

Automobile Alley's residential potential will be capped until Midtown & Bricktown fill what they built.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    This may be a bit off subject, but why has Automobile Alley not been a focus for residential development? To me, it seems like an obvious area for that, and has been for some time?
    Actually reputable names and developers have money in hand waiting to break ground on over 300 units in the area if the City ever resolves the train noise issue.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Actually reputable names and developers have money in hand waiting to break ground on over 300 units in the area if the City ever resolves the train noise issue.
    I discussed this issue with a former railroad attorney who told me that railroads are usually delighted to close grade crossings. If that is the case, I'm wondering why we cannot move forward on this issue. The amount of money involved would be made back rather quickly with new development in the area.

RR's don't mind closing crossings, but folks who use particular crossings often want someone else's crossing closed, not the one on their favorite route.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    RR's don't mind closing crossings, but folks who use particular crossings often want someone else's crossing closed, not the one on their favorite route.
    Exactly.

I understand that people like their favorite routes, but routes can be changed. 6th through 9th Streets being closed would only require driving down to 5th or up to 10th. Oklahoma is one way south, so anyone wanting to go north on Oklahoma has to use an alternate route anyway. I don't really care for myself, but several people have told me they wouldn't consider living in Deep Deuce or the Triangle because of the railroad noise. It seems like a reasonably simple thing, looking at traffic patterns in that area.

13. Default Re: East of Broadway on Ninth...

I lived in the DDeuce and never felt the trains were a problem.

Perception is reality though.

I'm not disagreeing betts, but some of the silliness involved in folks not wanting to change routes is, to put it mildly, every bit as entertaining as it can be annoying.

For some, being asked to adjust a 1/2 mile or less can equate to the end of all that is holy.

16. Default Re: East of Broadway on Ninth...

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm a little confused on the train issue. If the at-grade crossings are closed, then the train doesn't have to blow the whistle at every crossing? Is that correct?
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but I'm a little confused on the train issue. If the at-grade crossings are closed, then the train doesn't have to blow the whistle at every crossing? Is that correct?
    Yes, the trains are required to whistle a certain number of feet prior to approaching an at-grade crossing. Because 6th through 10th are all at-grade crossings, the trains whistle pretty much continuously while traversing that area. There are also at-grade crossings north of 10th up to 23rd, but I haven't driven up there to determine how many.

There is a lot of variation in how loudly and long the trains tootle.....some engineers clearly enjoy laying on the horn, whereas others are following the letter of the law. Again, I've gotten used to it, sleep through it and kind of enjoy the train noise. But, I've had more than one person tell me they decided not to move into the area east of Broadway because of train noise. And, according to metro, we've had some stalled development because of it, which I think is important to note.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    But, I've had more than one person tell me they decided not to move into the area east of Broadway because of train noise. And, according to metro, we've had some stalled development because of it, which I think is important to note.
    Gosh... is there really that much residential east of Broadway?? Where are we talking about?

How close do you have to be for it to be so loud you wouldn't want to move there? I know that at places like Iguana Mexican Grill it is pretty loud.

I live only 4 blocks west of the train on 12th and it is hardly loud enough to irritate me.

Quote Originally Posted by Platemaker View Post
    Gosh... is there really that much residential east of Broadway?? Where are we talking about?

How close do you have to be for it to be so loud you wouldn't want to move there? I know that at places like Iguana Mexican Grill it is pretty loud.

I live only 4 blocks west of the train on 12th and it is hardly loud enough to irritate me.
    People who were looking at housing in Maywood Park and Deep Deuce were the ones who had objections they voiced to me. As I said, I don't think the train noise is bad at all, but there were 3 different people who told me they'd decided not to live in that area because of train noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Platemaker View Post

Yes, in Deep Deuce/Maywood Park there are probably 500 or so residents. Not to mention people WEST of the tracks can also hear it, so that includes a good 1000 or more residents as well as all the downtown hotels and businesses. That's a pretty good cluster, the most concenterated cluster in the metro. Not to mention, Burt Belanger is wanting to break ground on 300 or so apartments just north of 10th and Broadway if the Quiet Zone passes.

I find it hard to believe that there is millions of dollars of new development waiting to start construction but only once the city creates a quiet zone. I cant imagine that being the only thing stopping them from building.

But if that is the case, then the city is really dropping the ball on this issue.

The City IS dropping the ball on this one. It's baffling actually.

Are there any studies thus far on how many crossing need to be zapped, and over how great a distance in each direction from the epicenter of the desired quiet zone.

I don't know just how much traffic would need to be rerouted from how many streets, but y'all done gone and gots me curious.

24. Default Re: East of Broadway on Ninth...

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    People who were looking at housing in Maywood Park and Deep Deuce were the ones who had objections they voiced to me. As I said, I don't think the train noise is bad at all, but there were 3 different people who told me they'd decided not to live in that area because of train noise.
    But there are no at-grade crossings in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Not to mention people WEST of the tracks can also hear it, so that includes a good 1000 or more residents as well as all the downtown hotels and businesses.
    I work at a downtown hotel, and have not once heard the train. I've also never heard it even from Iguana. (the latter may just be luck)

I'm not saying we don't need the quiet zone, I just don't buy that these developments are really on hold because of it.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    But there are no at-grade crossings in that area.
    I work at a downtown hotel, and have not once heard the train. I've also never heard it even from Iguana. (the latter may just be luck)

I'm not saying we don't need the quiet zone, I just don't buy that these developments are really on hold because of it.
    You're right, there are no grade crossings until 6th St. However, there is a mandated distance before a train reaches the crossing when the whistle has to be blown. My husband, a train aficionado, says there is a sign telling the engineer precisely where to blow the whistle, but I've not seen it. Suffice it to say, it seems like it's right at about 3rd or 4th street.

I've not really noticed the trains at the Iguana either, which is probably because there's a fairly high decibel level in the restaurant itself that blocks out a lot of the noise. It also depends upon the wind and which direction it's blowing.

I'm not sure the train noise is the ONLY reason the developments are on hold, but with proximity immediately adjacent to the tracks, I'm not sure I'd want to develop the area without a Quiet Zone existing.

Thread Information