Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hill, The

Default Re: The Hill - update

Is there a chance The Hill will never be completed? If so, perhaps other small, urban developments will fill in around it and give that hill some flavor.

The thing I've never liked about The Hill is that it offers absolutely nothing to the community if you don't happen to have a lot of money and buy one of their units.

Canfield's big argument -- one that was bought by OCURA -- was that there were all these highly-paid scientists and physicians at the OUHSC that would love such a development. But of course, it's not close enough for them to walk and there are plenty of similar places to live for a lot less money just a short drive away.

Considering this development is governed by a public body, I'd sure like to know how many units they've sold to date.

What supervisory powers does OCURA have over these projects? Once the lot has transferred and dirt is being moved, is this a public-records matter anymore?

4. Default Re: The Hill - update

You could try asking the developers how many units they've sold. I bet they wouldn't mind. In fact, at their website, The Hill at Bricktown - Home, they encourage questions and give the number "405-2280-1099." Everyone assumes that anything related to OCURA is a vast conspiracy- let's be serious. Just ask.

I think the Hill is alright. It's made with quality brick and stone construction materials, no two units look the same, they're built to the street, it has a distinct style. Not saying it's the best of all possible alternatives, but it's being built and I think it's quality construction.

Quote Originally Posted by shane453 View Post
    Everyone assumes that anything related to OCURA is a vast conspiracy- let's be serious. Just ask.
    Just about anything involving a public trust in OKC is a vast conspiracy. Bet on it

The developer still has to report progress and abide by the timelines and restrictictions in their contract. I wouldn't be surprised if full ownership doesn't pass until the project is substantially complete.

If Canfield can't sell these units then OCURA needs to reassess the remaining phases.

Considering the unbiased process and deliberation which led to the project's selection, wouldn't we have to be a bit insane to expect that OCURA will suddenly have the public's best interest in mind in its supervisory role here?

Insane to expect it, yes.

But there's always hope.

After seeing the Flat-iron video, I am even more disappointed in "The Hill". Everyday I drive by I-235 and see "the Hill", I think how cool it would be if those townhomes weren't there. That is sad to say because they are just getting started, but I think that the powers that decided to locate that project there really missed a golden opportunity.

I am hoping that the Hill decides to change things up a bit and for the next phase build a residential tower or something more like Flat-iron or Block 42. Building typical townhomes in that location is a shame and a waste.

I am not normally one to put down a project like this either.

But there's always hope.

Quote Originally Posted by okclee View Post

I am hoping that the Hill decides to change things up a bit and for the next phase build a residential tower or something more like Flat-iron or Block 42. Building typical townhomes in that location is a shame and a waste.
    I think you are being a little hard on The Hill. From what I can tell, the townhomes look really nice. I don't see what the big problem is. Each townhome seems distinct with its own unique character. Plus, it'll bring a lot of residents to downtown okc.

I like the variety of concepts that are being built. It will attract different types of people. I do believe that once we get more retail/grocery into the Deep Deuce area that more taller buildings will be built.

The variet all over downtown in residential is nice but a new high rise residential is missing. And I hope that get the Sosa mess figured out soon and let them build the contemporary house and stop slowing development. That is just a petty squabble that is slowing development.

Maybe I wasn't clear. I am not knocking the look of The Hill townhomes themselves, but I don't like the size of the project (157 units) or the location of the project. I think that a prime location like that, being right along I-235 would have been a prime spot for something with more density and more urban. I can see similar type of townhomes being built in other parts of Okc and they are nice, but really 157 of them. I am not so sure about that.

I know that this project is having financing problems, just like everyone else. Maybe during the down time the developer will rethink building all 157 units and make a drastic change by building a multi-story residence that would really give meaning to the name "The Hill".

I heard yesterday that they have stopped construction all new townhomes. Also, of the ones that have been completed, only 10-15% are being lived in.

Yes, as mentioned in an earlier article, construction stopped weeks if not months ago. They are trying to aquire a new funding source.

Sycamore Square for the new millinneum.

16. Default Re: The Hill - update

Don't be so sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Don't be so sure.
    About what? Sycamore Square for the new millenium?

I'm not really fond of the design, particularly the suburban-looking tower things on the fringes, but I hope this project does not fail.

18. Default Re: The Hill - update

I'm not arguing whether it's a good or bad design, etc. But I'm not convinced the project is dead.

So what will happen now that the project is dead?

Since this was an OCURA deal, can another developer with a new project take over the land?

I know I am dreaming but, I would love to see McDermids group step in and save this project, with rental units mixed in with for sale, and more overall density.

Actually, The Hill has a long way to go before it even approaches the 'success' of Sycamore Square.

The latter built 118 units, all are occupied and half were sold.

But in terms of being comparatively suburban for their respective eras, not offering any sort of mixed-use (and thus nothing for anyone that doesn't live there) and struggling mightily, these two projects are eerily similar.

OCURA has sure come a long way in 30 years.

21. Default Re: The Hill - update

Good points Pete.

I've gone from being ok with the look and layout of this project to thinking it's downright god awful. Another failure for OCURA.

Hopefully it never gets completed and others can step in. Maybe they can leave the row of townhomes across the street from Deep Deuce and just level the rest. I'm not kidding. Reboot.

It definitely seems like things in downtown oklahoma city have stalled or slowed down quite a bit. Hopefully things pick up towards the end of the year.

24. Default Re: The Hill - update

It's happening everywhere. Nothing we're doing wrong.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

25. Default Re: The Hill - update

I'm really not sure what makes the Hill so bad- Sure, it's 100% residential, but it's tucked on the edge of the Deep Deuce neighborhood, not at its commercial heart (which I believe could emerge around 2nd and Walnut). Urban doesn't have to equal mixed use- though it would help if they added one or two retail spaces and a spattering of more affordable homes somewhere in there. It has quality building materials, various facade designs, and lots that come right up to the street. I think it's a quality development, but maybe not the perfect ideal.

I guess the only thing that really makes it bad is the fact that it has to be compared with McDermid's rejected proposal for the site.

Thread Information