Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 401 Lofts (Boyd & Classen)

Default 401 Lofts (Boyd & Classen)

I was stopped at the Boyd St. railroad crossing last night and noticed a sign up by the Mont's overflow parking lot on the northside of the street. It had a rendering of two 3-4 story contemporary loft buildings called 401 Lofts, opening in 2010. Does anyone know anything more about this project? 401 E. Boyd is the address of the law firm that is currently there, I assume they will tear that building down to build this. Interesting location next to the tracks but really close to OU and across the street from the Mont. I'll see if I can get a pic of the sign.

Default Re: 401 Lofts (Boyd & Classen)

They have a website but not much information: Loft 401

I saw that as well and wanted to know what this was. Thanks!

there was a story in the norman paper a few weeks back i believe, something to do with rezoning from light office/commercial to something like medium density or high density residential. i think its in the process of going thru planning commission and being sent on to council for approval, if it hasnt already happened. i'd have to look for a linky link.

oh and some of the most run down property is right there on boyd from the tracks toward monnett, on the north. and monnett itself might win the campus ghetto blue star award. maybe someone will follow this project and knock some of those shacks down

I'd like to see more contemporary infill projects like this in central Norman, especially around Campus Corner and downtown.

The rendering

My name is Andy Ridley, with Loft 401. Thank you for taking notice of our project! Our aim is to create the sleekest, coolest place to live in Norman. Units are available for purchase. We have demolished the site in the last few days and will begin construction soon. Please visit LOFT401 to see floorplans, information, renderings, and my favorite, the interior rendering which shows a view from Unit 206, which shows an actual view from this unit, complete with a view of Memorial Stadium! Please come by our showroom at 541 S. University in Campus Corner, or call me at (405) 249-4442 for additional information.

Good to see this project progressing. Hopefully this is just the start of more infill developments around campus.

9. Default Re: 401 Lofts (Boyd & Classen)

It's okay to add the pix to the post, but it is not okay to make it a gigantic avatar.

I think its fine.

11. Default Re: 401 Lofts (Boyd & Classen)

Andy, is your company planning on any additional projects like this once this project gets off the ground/leased?

12. Default Re: 401 Lofts (Boyd & Classen)

Also, your website says "ensure the success of our endeavor to be responsibly green" but it doesn't really go into any detail about what responsibly green is for the development, could you go into more detail about this?

Good afternoon, everyone! Thank you for your questions...

We do have plans for other projects in Norman and other urban areas but our main focus right now is Loft 401. The units will be sold, and the one bedroom, one and a half bath units start at $149,600. The layout, finishes et cetera will be nothing like Norman has seen (in our opinion); all while having a superb location within steps to campus corner and the University of Oklahoma.

As far as the "green" aspects to the project go, we are finalizing the plans to make sure this project has as little environmental impact as possible, as well as run efficiently. When those plans are completed I can share more information with you.

I apologize for the (extremely) large avatar, the site wouldn't let me edit the photo.

Again, feel free to call me (405) 249-4442 at anytime to discuss, or come by the showroom. LOFT401

I look forward to speaking with you! - Andy Ridley

14. Default Re: 401 Lofts (Boyd & Classen)

Looks a bit too high to be selling like that. I thought those kind of living would be monthly or yearly rent. I would pick a house with full potential front and back yards for that price.

Thunder - I understand and appreciate your perspective, however, some residents are looking to see Norman from a different view, mainly, one that overlooks campus, and provides an urban setting with restaurants and entertainment within walking distance. This concept may be new to Norman, but we feel Norman is well overdue for something of this calibre.

16. Default Re: 401 Lofts (Boyd & Classen)

Yeah, it looks good.

Are you demolishing the gas station on the corner too? I thought it was just site of the old office building? The marker on the map makes it look like you're taking the whole corner.

Having tailgated along those railroad tracks for football games for years, I know how loud it is and how irritatingly often the trains come through. Seems like that would be a hindrance to living there. But if it's further east away from the tracks a little, that might help.

Other concerns would be if this is intended to be aimed more at students than "grown ups", if you know what I mean. Hate to sound like an old fart but I wouldn't want to live in an apartment next to college students again.

I guess I can't find the prices on the website. It looks nice though!

isn't this right next to the train tracks? have you taken that noise issue into perspective?

^
    i was thinking the exact same thing. they look cool, though! -M

Every issue has been taken into consideration regarding the train tracks.

1. As far as the engineering of the building is concerned, it will be set back to the east of the property line, as well as using the parking on the west side to serve as a buffer. An accoustical wall will line the west side of the property line to also help with this effort.

2. The building construction itself is being built in such a way that minimizes noise levels... I am not the architect or the builder but have been told that each joint within the building will utilize a special sealing technique that dampens sound.

3. Will I am not promising anything, the City of Norman is working on/considering making the rail intersections "Quiet Zones," in which the train would not be permitted to "honk" its horn through the intersection. This would take a.) installing a median at the intersection and b.) having two arms that lower as the train crosses -- already installed. Again, I do not know the timeframe and/or the exact details of this but I do know that the city has discussed it.

4. Most any infill project in an urban area is going to have some element of rail in proximity. Most larger cities rely on rail service. Acquiring land near the University is a very difficult proposition, and we feel that the location far outweighs this.

5. Prices start in the $150's for a 1 bedroom, 1.5 bath. If you have additional interest in pricing feel free to email me at andy@loft401.com or call (405) 249-4442 or visit the showroom 541 S. University, Norman OK.

6. Residents, as I see it, will be a mixture of nearly every age group. So far the reservations that have made (to secure the unit) have been from, again, every age group. This is not built specifically for students, it's being built for anyone who desires an urban lifestyle with proximity to restaurants, shopping, entertainment, and also the University of Oklahoma.

7. Thank you, we think they look really cool!

Everyone have a great day!! - Andy

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    ^
    i was thinking the exact same thing. they look cool, though! -M
    The eventual plan is to have a quiet zone through Norman. I know Duffy and eventually Robinson are steps toward implementing this, hopefully Boyd is next so the train noise won't be a problem in this area.

I haven't heard anything about the convenience store going away, but unless the project wraps around it to the north, it does seem to have a footprint somewhat larger than the available space where the old office was demo'd away.

Nice concept all in all, though even without whistles I suspect the folks to the west side of the project will be aware of each train all the same.

The gas station is staying. If you go by the site (at Boyd and Classen) you will notice that we have demo'd the entire site and will begin placing fence around the project site soon.

The site is 1.25 acres, plenty of room for the coolest place in Norman! - Andy, LOFT401.com, (405) 249-4442

Quote Originally Posted by LOFT401 View Post
    Thunder - I understand and appreciate your perspective, however, some residents are looking to see Norman from a different view, mainly, one that overlooks campus, and provides an urban setting with restaurants and entertainment within walking distance. This concept may be new to Norman, but we feel Norman is well overdue for something of this calibre.
    overlooks campus?? that thing/drawing/picture looks about 3 stories tall. all you're going to see are views of The Mont, railroad tracks, and the engineering buildings. I lived in the OU dorms/towers (12 stories) my freshman year in college and my room had a view of the football field..!!

Thread Information