Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best and worst used car dealers?

Default Best and worst used car dealers?

I was wondering if any one has any information on the best and worst Car dealers in the Metro area?
    Also is there a Oklahoma cunsummer whatch group?

2. Default Re: Best and worst used car dealers?

Used car dealers are stereotyped for a very good reason. They all suck. Coast to coast. I've bought a lot of cars from Florida to California and I've NEVER seen an exception to the rule.

Buy from an individual off of Autotrader or something.

I just looked for a specific car for close to a year before I found it. In Florida. I got down there and the guy was nice, accommodating, and the car was exactly as advertised. 1,200 miles of perfect paint and never been in the rain. I drove it home a couple of weeks ago and couldn't be happier. I'd looked forever locally at dealerships. They're slimy douchebags. Every one of them.

Default Re: Best and worst used car dealers?

Quote Originally Posted by GuyB View Post
    I was wondering if any one has any information on the best and worst Car dealers in the Metro area?
    Also is there a Oklahoma cunsummer whatch group?
    We had a really horrible experience with Fowler Toyota in Norman about three years ago. That place is full of crooks. Avoid them like the plague.

4. Default Re: Best and worst used car dealers?

Quote Originally Posted by GWB View Post
    We had a really horrible experience with Fowler Toyota in Norman about three years ago. That place is full of crooks. Avoid them like the plaque.
    While I agree that plaque is something to be shunned, it's not hard to avoid. All you have to do is never win anything and/or brush your teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh GAWD the Smell! View Post
    While I agree that plaque is something to be shunned, it's not hard to avoid. All you have to do is never win anything and/or brush your teeth.
    What are you talking about?

I'm been obtaining cars for a bit over 30 years. Only one was purchased from a dealer's lot. It was a good car, a fair price, and though it's now seen better days, it's actually still in service. Can't say the same for the dealer though ... it's long since closed and become something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh GAWD the Smell! View Post
    And of course, remember to visit your dentist for regular cleanings every six months!

Quote Originally Posted by jsibelius View Post
    And of course, remember to visit your dentist for regular cleanings every six months!
    Also don't forget to floss!

Just to get this back on topic again does any one have a bad experience with a used car dealer or even a new car dealer?

Any of the Bob Howards suck. Crooks.

I bought my pickup from Reynolds on NW Expressway. I loved the whole expeirence. I picked the cars to test drive. I narrowed down the choices. It was like buying from a friend or family member. I cannot count number of times I was greeted and offered a drink or snack.

After the sale, I recieved three courtesy calls, a free oil change and a thank you card from Dale Daniels.

I have went back for basic services time and again. Very low pressure and very professional. I just went Friday and the service representative offered to inspect my truck. He obseverd two services that needed to be completed. I chose one and not the other. He said Ok, as a courtesy we will put a reminder on your work order if you want to have it done next time your in.

Obviously different people have different experiences at the same dealer. I've bought two cars from the Bob Howard group. Both went great. I called to see if they had what I wanted. When I got there they had what they said they had. They beat the price of other dealers and we were in and out in a couple of hours.

I recently bought a used car from Diffee. The asking price was a good deal so I wasn't even going to bother to dicker over it. When they came in the papers they had knocked $600 off the price on their own. Can't ask for better.

Bob Moore on the other hand. We tried to buy a Liberty from BM Jeep on NW Expressway. The salesman promised us the world for a very good price. When the sales manager got a hold of us he said nothing like that deal could be done. The price he came up with was ABOVE sticker for just the car, no add-ons. This was one of the cars we ended up buying from Bob Howard.

13. Default Re: Best and worst used car dealers?

Bob Howard = shady
    Diffee = especially shady considering they are advertised "christians".

I went to Norman Chysler Jeep Dodge when I was in school. Didn't even want to deal with me.

Reynolds Ford in Edmond was great when I bought a car there back in November. They were extremely helpful. I got such a good deal, that when my wife totaled in 3 months later, I made $2k on an $8k car. I have been looking for a car lately and went back there. Unfortunatly the experience was not the same.

Hudibern Nissan was so-so. Same for Smicklas Chevorlet (who supposedly own BH).

I bought my truck from Reynolds ford and had a good experience, took my cousin back there when he got back from Iraq and he had an equally good experience

we had to get an attorney to get out of a deal with Bob Moore mazda when they sold a her a new car that wasn't exactly new

I have head great things about Diffee. A buddy of mine went out there right after the Tornado hit their dealership last year. The truck had a few minor scratches (the scratches buffed out when he had the the truck detailed) They took 10k off for the damages, gave him another 5K in factory rebates. When it was all said and done he got a 30K truck for 15K which turned out to be 12K after trade.

Carmax is pretty good dealership as well. My sister and a coworker bought thier cars there. They let you look. When you want to do a test drive all you do is grab a salesman. They even offer add ons like DVD players, in car gaming systems, CD Changers and Alarms. All the cars are in new condition or better. The majority of thier stock is 15K and lower.

Last vehicle I bought was from Marc Heitz. Pretty good experience. (as good as car buying can be) Also bought from Bob Moore on the Expressway. I was told to stay away from Edmond Hyundai. Won't be much of a problem. I was never planning to buy a Hyundai anyways.

Last two vehicles came from Ebay and Craigslist. Before that, Marc Heitz in Norman gave me a pretty good deal without all the B.S.. Knippelmier in Blanchard is well known for not doing all the "games". Still, buying from an individual is the way to go. With digital cameras and video its almost like being there. I was doing research on a plumbing co on Ripoff Report: By Consumers, For Consumers and was surprised to find some interesting post regarding David Stanley.

I've always had good luck with Bob Moore Audi and Bob Moore Jeep Chrysler. They let me test drive alone, they didn't treat me like a stupid girl, and they always gave me a reasonable price for my trade in and the car I was buying.

I almost punched a guy out at the Fowler Dodge on I-240. Total douchecock.

I recommend doing your homework first no matter where you decide to go.
    I always do the following things to make my purchase a little smoother -
    1. Shop around on a Sunday, no carsalesmen at all to bother you
    2. Find a few cars you would like to test drive
    3. Go home and pull up the blue book value, carfax report, and any comparable pricing for cars of the same make and model for sale around town.
    4. Make an appointment to go testdrive the specific vehicle you are interested in and take the information you found from the internet with you.
    5. Do not give them any information about you until you are ready to make a purchase. They do not need your social security number for you to test drive, they don't need anything at all. They either go with you or they take a copy of your drivers license if they let you go alone.
    6. Make sure you check out everything on the car - stereo, brakes, look for rust especially under the cab and around the trunk seams, heat AND air regardless of the weather, look for cracks in hoses/belts, tires, corrosion around battery, mileage, interior wear, hail damage repair to the body, and anything else you think of. Tell them you want your mechanic to check it over. If this makes them uncomfortable, move on to someone else.

Stay away from Edmond Hyundai. Horrible. Just horrible.

Diffee has been wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by fire121 View Post
    Last two vehicles came from Ebay and Craigslist. Before that, Marc Heitz in Norman gave me a pretty good deal without all the B.S.. Knippelmier in Blanchard is well known for not doing all the "games". Still, buying from an individual is the way to go. With digital cameras and video its almost like being there. I was doing research on a plumbing co on Ripoff Report: By Consumers, For Consumers and was surprised to find some interesting post regarding David Stanley.
    David Stanley is the modern day Lynn Hickey. If you go there, you may want to stop by Sams and buy and industrial size jar of Vasoline because you will get screwed.

21. Default Re: Best and worst used car dealers?

Quote Originally Posted by JBuzz7373 View Post
    Stay away from Edmond Hyundai. Horrible. Just horrible.
    +1.
    My wife and I went there last December. We came close to buying a car, but ultimately decided against it. Trying to get out of there after that was like trying to escape Alcatraz. It was an extremely unpleasant experience.

More recently, late July to be exact, we bought a Honda Fit from Steve Bailey Honda. That was a MUCH better experience. The sales guys were friendly and knowledgeable, but did not use high-pressure tactics to get us to buy. We were much more at ease there and felt very good about our purchase.

Of course, I now have to deal with friends looking at me (at 6' 6") and then the car and asking how I fit in it, but it is a very comfortable car even for us tall people.

Had a poor experience with Hudiburg Nissan. Went to Bob Howard Nissan just really to look and a great experience. They were straight forward and even went above and beyond what they promised. You never know.

Luck of the draw. Depends on the salesman and his/her sales manager.

BTW, Smicklas doesn't own Bob Howard. Howard Auto Group is now owned by Group One Auto out of Houston. (making BH and several top people very wealthy). If this is no longer true disregard everything you just read. LOL

23. Default Re: Best and worst used car dealers?

I highly recommend Carmax. Good price, easy to deal with, and a decent offer on your trade in.

24. Default Re: Best and worst used car dealers?

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    BTW, Smicklas doesn't own Bob Howard. Howard Auto Group is now owned by Group One Auto out of Houston. (making BH and several top people very wealthy). If this is no longer true disregard everything you just read. LOL
    Actually, Bob Howard (the group, not the guy) owns Smicklas.

Quote Originally Posted by windowphobe View Post
    Actually, Bob Howard (the group, not the guy) owns Smicklas.

Group one also owns all the Bob Moore franchises. Bob Howard has owned the the Bob Moore name for years. I bought a S-10 Blazer there in 97 and the salesman said they merged with Bob Moore. They will always keep the Bob Moore name because of the reputation the name has behind it.

Group One is not the only corporate dealer network in OKC. Sonic Automotive owns several Oklahoma dealerships.
    City Chevrolet
    Dub Richardson Scion
    Dub Richardson Toyota
    Riverside Chevrolet
    Riverside Nissan
    Riverside Scion
    Riverside Toyota
    Speedway Chevrolet
    Steve Bailey Honda

Thread Information