Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 77 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171863 ... LastLast

Thread: Skydance Bridge

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

I'm not so sure they should remove the sculpture. The difference is that we all know what the bridge might have looked like. The average individual will have no idea, and so will have nothing to compare it against. The sculpture is beautiful and striking, and unless you know something about engineering, the lack of cables and the presence of trusses will probably be completely unrecognized. I don't think the 20 versus 30 feet will be significant either, as a footbridge is usually quite narrow, and it might have looked odd wider.

What I'd like to know is, if we have to do this right away because of the highway, and I don't know if that's really true, where are we supposed to get the money to do it right? We can all say they should, but seriously, where can the city get the money that won't send a significant part of the population into the stratosphere with indignation? They certainly can't take the money out of the general fund....we'd have every policeman and firefighter in town up in arms. It's not a MAPS project, so all the anti-MAPS people would jump on it right away if they tried to use MAPS funds. Could we use boulevard funds? I don't know, as I'm not completely sure where that money is coming from. I think, if we're going to suggest the bridge be done right, we also have to have reasonable ideas as to how it can be funded. I don't have any, but I'd be interested in hearing from people who do.

To me, the only important part was the sculpture. The bridge makes no difference as to whether it is iconic or not. The bridge will not really be noticed. It takes someone that really wants to complain about anything possible to bring up the bridge. As to the cables, they would not even be noticed at night, however stringing some cable would probably not cost that much. The main thing is the sculpture and it staying the same size and height and is lit up at night. If that is done everyone should be happy.

Going from 30' wide to 20' wide is a big deal too.

Going from 30 ft. to 20 ft. is a big deal. That means that only two cars could go side by side across it at the same time or two cars could pass each other going in opposite directions. How could it ever work out as a pedestrian bridge at only 20 ft.?

Quote Originally Posted by Popsy View Post
    Going from 30 ft. to 20 ft. is a big deal. That means that only two cars could go side by side across it at the same time or two cars could pass each other going in opposite directions. How could it ever work out as a pedestrian bridge at only 20 ft.?
    There shouldn't be any cars on the bridge (other than the ODOT maint ones) as it is a pedestrian bridge. 20 ft wide should be plenty for people to walk on

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    There shouldn't be any cars on the bridge (other than the ODOT maint ones) as it is a pedestrian bridge. 20 ft wide should be plenty for people to walk on
    I was actually trying to use sarcasm here to point out that if two cars could pass each other within the 20 ft. width that it would be ample for a pedestrian bridge. Sarcasm seems to be tough to recognize in this forum.

Just saying...people need to get out and see the world before taking this all so seriously.
    How do you know what parts of the world people have seen? I have lived in cities with some of the icons being mentioned here.

I think the failure of perspective is on your part in comparing this to some of those structures. This thing is not even near their scale nor should it be. Maybe when the city reaches the stature of those communities, a comparable project will be appropriate, but we're no where near that.

However, this is a chance for the city to have an icon in a real sense. There is nothing that says something has to have international recognition for it to qualify as as an icon, and I don't think anyone is suggesting that this bridge would achieve that even if built as originally approved. But, this will be the most visible structure on that part of I-40, which gets a lot of national traffic, and it will be the one thing just about every visitor to the city sees, whether they seek it out or not. That simple fact can't be ignored, and is the biggest reason that I think people are excited about it and want to see it done right.

It's basically like getting a nose job and saying "well, we can half ass it, because you won't be recognized by everyone anyway". Probably true, but it is still a very defining feature of your appearance that will be noticed by everyone that does see you. This bridge will not be missed no matter what it looks like. Therefore, it is a great opportunity to add an icon and enhance the city's overall appearance that I think people understandably don't want to see squandered.

As to the cables, they would not even be noticed at night, however stringing some cable would probably not cost that much.
    I've never seen a cable stay structure where the cables are not visible at night, especially if they are illuminated.

they may as well just scrap the original plan and come up with something new.
    This should at least be considered. If the original concept can not be respected, we can try something else. While I think the Skydance design is amazing, it's not the only one that could be impressive. Sometimes something more simple can be more elegant.

Quote Originally Posted by Popsy View Post
    I was actually trying to use sarcasm here to point out that if two cars could pass each other within the 20 ft. width that it would be ample for a pedestrian bridge. Sarcasm seems to be tough to recognize in this forum.
    Sorry, I took it at face value...my bad...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by okclee View Post
    Going from 30' wide to 20' wide is a big deal too.
    If the bridge were ever to be used as part of a marathon, fun walk, etc., a width of 30' would be much preferential to a width of 20'.

Sure, I don't know what you have seen, and only know what I have seen and worked on. This isn't truly iconic. It is pretty darn cool, but in the scope of significance of art or achitecture not in the same ballpark. Locally iconic, maybe. Truly iconic, not nearly. I love OKC and promote it heavily. But perspective is needed. Calling something iconic or even thinking it doesn't make it so. Any advertising and promotion HAS to be believable.
    Did I say it was in the same ballpark? I guess I don't get your point. Basically, are you saying that since it won't be the Golden Gate Bridge, people shouldn't care if it gets half assed? Since it will only be an icon of Oklahoma City, which it most definately will be, then it doesn't matter if it's half assed?

The perspective is exactly what I'm trying to provide and I can't figure out why you keep suggesting something can't be iconic unless it's internationally known. Or why, if it won't be internationally known, then it's not worth worrying about? This WILL be what people see when they come to Oklahoma City whether anyone wants them to or not or whether they seek it out or not. That will make it an icon.

For example, the Golden Gate Bridge and the Thermometer in Baker California are BOTH icons of their communities. Are they of a different scale, scope, and national significance? Of course. But they are both seen by everyone who visits those communities. They are both serve as icons. Does recognizing them both as the icons they are mean that they are both icons of equal significance. Of course not, but that doesn't mean that they don't have iconic value and it doesn't mean that if it can't achieve Golden Gate type recognition, then it can never be an icon.

Basically, the fact that it won't be the Space Needle doesn't change the fact that it will be one of Oklahoma City's most visible structures and, therefore, one of its icons. If done right it can be one we can be proud of and become one that is associated with the city more than any other element. If done wrong, this may not be the only time it is talked about in the same context as a large thermometer in the desert.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC@heart View Post
    In the article Couch stated that he didn't think most would even notice the difference as they passed by...maybe, but here is the real issue. This bridge in its now modified form will still command attention. Just simply due to the striking nature of the lines and the fact that it will be lit up externally as well as the internal lighting that is planned. ...
    The cables were planned too. Who's to say that the lighting won't be the next thing to hit the budget chopping block (or even if installed operating budgets may prevent the lights being turned on)?

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    “It’s the same thing sans the cables,” Couch said.

Hmm, wonder if that logic could be used elsewhere. Maybe when I go home I'll tell my lovely giving me a big smooch is the same thing as smooching George Clooney sans the looks.
    Gotta love it!

Quote Originally Posted by jdcf View Post
    If the bridge were ever to be used as part of a marathon, fun walk, etc., a width of 30' would be much preferential to a width of 20'.
    Interesting point.

I think if they are going to eliminate the cables, they may as well just scrap the original plan and come up with something new. Here are a few bridges that have already been mentioned in this thread.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Hunt_Hill_Bridge

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard...emorial_Bridge

Now imagine them without the cables, and a giant, pointless tower just sticking up for no reason. Doesn't make sense.

“It’s the same thing sans the cables,” Couch said.

Hmm, wonder if that logic could be used elsewhere. Maybe when I go home I'll tell my lovely giving me a big smooch is the same thing as smooching George Clooney sans the looks.

14. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Is it possible to merge this project with Project 180?

15. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

Popsy, the cables do show up at night. Assuming the Superstructure will be illuminated (which is a guarantee), then the cables will be visible.

Back to my original thought : why would ODOT need to have their cars on the bridge at all? I would think ONLY OKC City mtc vehicles (like lawn mower or street cleaning, park equipment) would be crossing that bridge.

What ODOT vehicle would ever use a pedestrian bridge? ???? I just dont understand this and I did voice my opinion to the City. Hopefully they can push back as to the original FUNCTION of this bridge.

I myself, am not too upset with the span redesign. But I do have a problem with it being redesigned (AFTER THE FACT) to handle vehicles. Again, this is an Iconic Pedestrian Span, not a Freeway Vehicle crossing as ODOT seems to think.

Is it possible for them to "back off...." and stop being a harbinger against OKC's development.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

I am pretty sure that because it crosses an Interstate there are at least 3 governmental groups involved.

Not so long ago in Moore there was an overpass expansion on 19th that cost twice the engineer's estimate and took about 6 months longer. I think it had something to do with all the ODOT and Federal rules.

If this project is delayed until after the Interstate is open the cost will probably jump another 100%.

How much money was spent on the orginal design? Scrap that money for orginal design and spend more money for new design?

18. Default Re: I-40 Pedestrian Bridge

why doesn't ODOT contribute to the funding of this bridge then (if they already aren't). ...

there are other pedestrian bridges over interstates in OKC, why are they making such a big deal about this one just because it is downtown and such a fancy design. ..........

For your viewing pleasure - a pedestrian bridge in Winnipeg Canada. Many similarities to our bridge.

Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

By the time it's all said and done I am sure the bridge will amount to something like this picture. http://www.hucknet.com/media/img/images/4952_l_.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by rondvu View Post
    By the time it's all said and done I am sure the bridge will amount to something like this picture. http://www.hucknet.com/media/img/images/4952_l_.jpg
    Nah ... too many cables

In the article Couch stated that he didn't think most would even notice the difference as they passed by...maybe, but here is the real issue. This bridge in its now modified form will still command attention. Just simply due to the striking nature of the lines and the fact that it will be lit up externally as well as the internal lighting that is planned. This will cause folks to talk and draw even more attention to it and then the design community will take a look and they WILL notice the difference and likely it will be published and the critique will paint the City in a bad light. So yeah maybe many will never realize what could have been, but a quick search will reveal what was and what could have been and in comparison it will reflect poorly on the execution of the design. I verymuch appreciate the designer for actually standing up against using the cables as a aesthetic effect when it would no longer be a structural component necessary with the trussed design. Kudos to him for that. What a heartbreaking loss for good design...I hope as the City continues to grow that our bridges spanning the river will be given far more design attention as they now do more than span a ditch and we can use them as ways to create a unique identity for the city...but that would take some serious money to do so, and with the way the Skydance bridge turned out, I will not be holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC@heart View Post
    In the article Couch stated that he didn't think most would even notice the difference as they passed by...maybe, but here is the real issue. This bridge in its now modified form will still command attention. Just simply due to the striking nature of the lines and the fact that it will be lit up externally as well as the internal lighting that is planned. This will cause folks to talk and draw even more attention to it and then the design community will take a look and they WILL notice the difference and likely it will be published and the critique will paint the City in a bad light. So yeah maybe many will never realize what could have been, but a quick search will reveal what was and what could have been and in comparison it will reflect poorly on the execution of the design. I verymuch appreciate the designer for actually standing up against using the cables as a aesthetic effect when it would no longer be a structural component necessary with the trussed design. Kudos to him for that. What a heartbreaking loss for good design...I hope as the City continues to grow that our bridges spanning the river will be given far more design attention as they now do more than span a ditch and we can use them as ways to create a unique identity for the city...but that would take some serious money to do so, and with the way the Skydance bridge turned out, I will not be holding my breath.
    Agreed, but to clarify, Skydance Bridge does not span the river.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Agreed, but to clarify, Skydance Bridge does not span the river.
    Sorry I wasn't clear enough in my last post. The last comment regarding the bridges that do span the river was a separate thought. I know that the bridge doesn't cross the river, I however was too quick in writing my thoughts as it related to the treatment of our bridges in and around the city that were major entry points and fairly visible themselves with rather much lacking as far as design is concerned. Without breaking the train of thought and setting it up as a new but related subject made it seem incorrectly as a continuation of the same one. Oh well. Its been a week of Mondays...

Those of us that contacted our City Council members, did anyone receive a reply?

In the past if I were to contact a council member with something, I usually receive a standard type of email reply. This time around I received nothing, and I emailed all council members including the mayor.

Thread Information