Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Midwest City Recollections

Default Re: Midwest City Recollections

Pleeeeeeeez.....!!

Quote Originally Posted by Redskin 70 View Post
    And I have a picture of the Burger Train in operation and a night shot and with kids cruising the place................nay body wanna see???????????????????
    Come on Redskin70, Where's the pic? You got me curious.

I had to delurk to say that shot of the uptown shopping center just brought back alot of memories. Not the old one funny enough but the 2008 one. It has changed much since I was a teen.
    I was probably around 13 or so and a friend and I decieded we were rebels and snuck out to visit some boys. As we were walking through that parking lot a car pulled up behind us and I thought for sure we were gonna be kidnapped. It turned out to be a cop and we were out past cerfew. Our parents never did find out but man it was a wild night. In all honesty we hadn't even made it that far coming from my house on maple dr. I'd say it was around 1993ish.

My husband wants me to jump in here and ask if anyone remembers Sparky's drive-in? It was in the parking lot of Trade Mart (where Sam's is now).

My own personal favorite was Dick's drive-in on Douglas, just north of 29th on the east side of the road.

Was there a Tastee Freeze on Midwest Blvd, between 15th and 29th? There is a building (still!!) on the east side of the road with that plastic-y looking carport stuff around the perimeter of the building.

I cannot speak to Sparky's or Dick's drive-ins, although I do remember the Trade Mart.

There was a drive-in and dine-in on the east side of S. Midwest Blvd about half way between SE 15th and SE 29th called Beaver's. They had really good charbroiled hamburgers. The last time that I passed by that building, it was a hair style shop or something of that nature and still had green plastic awning.

Does anyone remember what was on the northeast corner of S.E. 15th and Air Depot before Taco Bueno?? I can remember them building it, but cannot for the life of me remember what was there before. Forget about trying to remember what was there when I was a kid - which is shameful, considering the many enjoyable Saturdays I spent at the Apollo.

I remember in the 1970s there was a Phillips 66 service station on that corner (not to be confused with the Phillips 66 that used to stand on the southwest corner). This was a typical "filling" station of that era with a couple of pumps and a two bay garage.

On the northwest corner was a Conoco and then further west on SE 15th between CVS and Jimmy's Egg was a Champlin gas station. Still further west, on the north side of SE 15th between Crosby Blvd. and Buena Vista Ave. immediately east of the Cigarettes . Beer . Ice . Pop store, was a Fina gas station. That location is now a vacant lot.

Thanks - maybe that's why I don't remember. Before I was driving, gas stations were less than a zit on the landscape - just didn't get my attention at all.

Wasn't the fast food restaraunt in the old Trade Mart parking lot Burger Chef? Also on 29th and Air Depot there was a payless show store.

I don't remember a Burger Chef, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I remember Sparky's - 19cent cheeseburgers and skinny fries in a cup.

I remember the Payless though. Bought many pairs of wedgies in that place.

11. Default Re: Midwest City Recollections

Quote Originally Posted by twinkles View Post
    Does anyone remember what was on the northeast corner of S.E. 15th and Air Depot before Taco Bueno?? I can remember them building it, but cannot for the life of me remember what was there before. Forget about trying to remember what was there when I was a kid - which is shameful, considering the many enjoyable Saturdays I spent at the Apollo.
    I remember a Taco Villa being right there for a time in the early eighties. They used to have the best breakfast burritos I ever ate.

There was a Burger Chef in the south Trade Mart parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by rondvu View Post
    . . . Also on 29th and Air Depot there was a payless show store.
    I remember the Payless though. Bought many pairs of wedgies in that place.
    I'm drawing a complete blank. Where exactly was the Payless.

All I remember at 29th And Air Depot - North on Air Depot: Mobil Service Station > Purple Bar > Mr. Spriggs > House of Realty.

East on 29th: Pizza Inn

Payless was west of Air Depot on 29th - close to where that filling station is now. Maybe right beside that used car lot??

And the Jolly Cone building - was that a vacuum cleaner place at one time?? As a child, I went to Dr. Cochran (his office was the south half of Dr. Tony Thomas' vet clinic; just north of King Wah). I seem to remember sitting in that waiting room, staring out the window at the Jolly Cone across the street, wondering why I was about to tortured instead of buddying up to an ice cream. I don't think I was ever in the Jolly Cone.

Of course, this could be a figment of my imagination .......

Thanks,

I remember now. The Payless was where the car lot is - But even if I had thought to think west of the First National Bank, I wouldn't have remembered.

The Jolly Cone on the west side of Air Depot Blvd. at Jarman did become a vacuum cleaner place for quite some time before it was demolished to make way for the Aldi.

Payless was west of Air Depot on 29th - close to where that filling station is now. Maybe right beside that used car lot??

And the Jolly Cone building - was that a vacuum cleaner place at one time?? As a child, I went to Dr. Cochran (his office was the south half of Dr. Tony Thomas' vet clinic; just north of King Wah). I seem to remember sitting in that waiting room, staring out the window at the Jolly Cone across the street, wondering why I was about to tortured instead of buddying up to an ice cream. I don't think I was ever in the Jolly Cone.

Of course, this could be a figment of my imagination .......

Pic of a Burger Chef http://farm1.static.flickr.com/179/3...509bc2.jpg?v=0

Don't foget the A&W rootbeer drive-in on Air Depot.

I remember those orange harlequin diamonds on that white building. Another place we never went.

How about swimming at the Lions' pool, then down to the Dairy Boy for a corndog?

Quote Originally Posted by rondvu View Post

Don't forget the A&W rootbeer drive-in on Air Depot.
    For some reason, we always went to the one in Del City.

Hi, I'm a newbie on here. Just read through all the posts on MWC. I can't believe no one has mentioned Potter's Drive-In.

But then, maybe I'm just a bit older than most on here.

I've been to Potter's, but just as a little girl with my father. When did Potter's go out of business?

I really don't know when Potter's closed. Haven't lived in that area for many years now. Get over that way occasionally on business, and noticed one day that it was closed.

Does anyone remember the skating rink that used to be across the street from Potter's back in the 50's....It was a wooden floor open air with a tent roof. Went skating there many times when I was really young.

What was the name of the bar that was just South of Potters drive in? It was on the east side of Air Depot, between Potters and the Texaco station to the south.

Used to get in there all the time when I was 17-19 yrs old. Course we could always get beer at the Planet Bowl as well.

This Potters stuff must be before my time (1960s)

Where was Potters, the Bar, and the Texaco?

I graduated MCHS in '61. Potter's was there then.....and for some time afterwards.

The Texaco was on 29th and Air Depot. The bar was just north of the Texaco in a little strip center. Potter's was just north of there at Air Depot and Boeing.

Potter's was where Mr Spriggs used to be. Now it is generica. Heh.

I was born in 1958 and I remember Potter's - but my mother worked swing shift. My dad would take my sister and I, throw us in the back seat, and head for Potter's.

The only old bar I remember was the Martinque - corrupting Tinker Field workers for unknown years.

I'll ask my mother about that club name. Maybe she'll remember. I can see it in my mind's eye.

Whatever happened to the old library?? Had lots of fun at that place.

Does anyone remember these: Streets, Peyton-Marcus, TG&Y, Singer Sewing, Stocktons, Safeway, Tinker Drive In, Der Dutchman, Adairs, Rose Resturant, Nick's/Martin's Resturant, Skytrain, Humpty Dumpty, White Crown Resturant, Atkinson Pony Farm, House of Realty, MW Lumber Yard, Trampoline Place, Alexander's Shoe Repair, Sally Ann's Beauty Shop, Helen's Beauty Shop, Baker's Flowers, Beachler's, Otasco, Eddie Peck's Body Shop, A&W Root Beer, Rock Dawson's Furniture, Fleetwood Apts, Max's Grill, Across The Street Resturant, McCorkle's Gas Station, Bamboo Lounge, Jet Lounge, Plaza Lounge, Martinique, Bailey's, Potters, Dairy Land, Paylor's Funeral Home, Kips Big Boy, Spa/Spa Yen, Rudy's Red Bud Grocery, Neptune's Submarines, Sparky's, Phil's Huddle, The Hangar/Uptight, Tinker Drive In, Solider Creek Drive In, Lucky Stop/Spot, Tiki Hut, Kiddie Land on 29th.

Thread Information