Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst local commercial?

1. Default Worst local commercial?

Last year I traveled up and down the East Coast for a couple of months. In watching local TV in over 20 states I realized everyone has their own local television embarrassments.

What do you think is the most embarrassing OKC commercial?

My vote goes for the 1-800-2-Sell-Homes people. I just saw one where she has a dog with her. The dog is dressed with some kind of humiliating court jester collar. (Which somewhat matches her own outfit, sadly.) Every time one of their commercials comes on I pray local hotels are blocking them from out-of-town visitor's rooms.

Probably first runner up is any commercial with the guy wildly swinging his disjointed arm.

2. Default Re: Worst local commercial?

I can't stand that lady.

But the wavy-arm guy is hilarious.

Default Re: Worst local commercial?

That arm and those eyes have likely made Mr. no say no a large level of income here and elsewhere.

As for the lady and her dog ... I'd live in a car first

are we talking current or all-time, here?

'cause if we're talking all-time, nothing stacks up to the ads for oklahoma discount furniture. thread over.

-M

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post

'cause if we're talking all-time, nothing stacks up to the ads for oklahoma discount furniture. thread over.

-M
    You do have a good point, although Linda Soundtrack would give him a run for his money.

I really dislike the one where the guy is shouting Fowler Dodge! Fowler Dodge! Fowler Dodge! The Richardson Homes "Let our family build your family's home" is another one.

I vote for the new Edmond Hyundai ad where a motley collection of people just chant "Edmond Hyundai" over and over and over.

Yep - what Redland just said.....

And then come December, the BC Clark ones get my vote every year............

Right now, the Edmond Hyundai gets my vote, too. I'm grabbing for the mute button every time that thing comes on.

10. Default Re: Worst local commercial?

What about that old commercial that went something like this:

"But I have a BRILLIANT personality!"

That thing was running while I was in college and it looked straight out of 1985. Remember that?

What about "Are ya Christian? Are ya Single? If you're Christian AND Single..." then they would play the Oklahoma Discount Furniture and then run the Christian Singles thing agin...and then OK Discount Furniture again.

Can't stand disjointed arm man. What a looker, though. Man. He pulls me in with his buggy eyes.

But, since the advent of the DVR, I haven't been subjected to many local commercials. Except the 7-11 Icy Drink commercial with the kids in the band. One of my students was in that commercial. I give him props but wow, WOW, that girl...I couldn't stand that commercial.
    Still corrupting young minds

11. Default Re: Worst local commercial?

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post

-M
    I hated those so much...Oh man. Linda Soundtrack and the 2sell homes lady have nothing on that place.

I even gave the stores the stinkeye when just driving by because I'd hear that crap in my head.

Grrrrr.

Quote Originally Posted by theilluminatedfirefly View Post
    My vote goes for the 1-800-2-Sell-Homes people. I just saw one where she has a dog with her. The dog is dressed with some kind of humiliating court jester collar. (Which somewhat matches her own outfit, sadly.) Every time one of their commercials comes on I pray local hotels are blocking them from out-of-town visitor's rooms.
    Oh, what is going on with them putting up two fingers when they say 2 Sell homes. Good lord! I wanna gouge my eyes out!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChris7 View Post
    Oh, what is going on with them putting up two fingers when they say 2 Sell homes. Good lord! I wanna gouge my eyes out!
    I agree and to make things worse they were investigated for ripping folks off! I am surprised those sucky commercials are still on YUKKKKKKKKKKK

I dont know if this is accurate but from what I gather the guy spent time in prison for the 1-800-no agent they had a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by theilluminatedfirefly View Post
    Probably first runner up is any commercial with the guy wildly swinging his disjointed arm.
    That commercial may be local, but believe it or not, that guy gets around. I've seen him in commercials in other areas well beyond the OKC viewing area.

16. Default Re: Worst local commercial?

Quote Originally Posted by redland View Post
    I vote for the new Edmond Hyundai ad where a motley collection of people just chant "Edmond Hyundai" over and over and over.
    It most definitely gets my vote too. Glad I'm not the only one.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Oklahoma Discount Furniture. Ugh!

The "brilliant personality" thing was for Wright Business School.

Prunepicker Guest

I honestly have not watched nor listened to a commercial since 1985. That includes the Super Bowl. All commercials are so offensive I refuse to allow them into my brain.

Oh I wouldn't say that. Some of them are quite entertaining. But not very many of the entertaining ones are made locally. The only exception I can think of are a few of the Fowler car dealer commercials. And not even all of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    I honestly have not watched nor listened to a commercial since 1985. That includes the Super Bowl. All commercials are so offensive I refuse to allow them into my brain.
    You have not seen or heard a commercial in 28 years? Yet, you can make this statement: "All commercials are so offensive I refuse to allow them into my brain." How would you know? You apparently haven't seen, or heard, a single commercial in the 21st century.

Of course, I read in another thread where you said you've voted for Alan Keyes for president in every election since 1988. How did you manage to do that? By the way, if you have done that (which there's no way you could have) you would know his name is spelled, "Keyes" not "Keys."

No commercials since 1985? Alan Keyes for president since 1988?

[IMG]http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/8756/bull****by3.jpg[/IMG]

At least the "2 Sell" lady in not as "plastic" as she used to be, so she has obviously had some coaching. She has violated two of the unspoken rules of the biz though.

1. Don't work with kids
    2. Don't work with animals.

And who's the new "old" dude with her? He looks like the old SW Ford guy, or some other local commercial.

Actually, I think she's learned her lesson about working with kids. She started with just one or two and ended up with that one commercial with the whole gang. Some people are just desperate to get their kids on TV, who cares how? So once they see you have kids in your commercial, they start calling and asking you to put their kids in your commercials. But people stopped complaining about how bad the commercials were about the same time. I have a vague idea who the guy is, and if I'm right, he's not particularly a nice guy. Then again, I guess you can't be super nice and have a successful business in that field.

The guy with her is Wade Carter. He did car commercials and was a DJ at KOMA in the 70's.

Then he isn't who I thought he might be. I cast no aspersions on the character of this Wade-person. Never heard of him.

i can't stand the bob howard guy....i can't even watch the news because he's on more than the actual newscasters

25. Default Re: Worst local commercial?

About the ONLY car commercials that don't make me want to carve my eyes and ears out with a rusty spork are the Automax ones with Paul Newsom.

He just talks about the cars...Doesn't yell.

Plus, I've met him (dad went to HS with him) and he's a really nice guy.

Doesn't mean I don't still skip his commercials.

Thread Information