Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Movies based or shot in Oklahoma?

Default Movies based or shot in Oklahoma?

I'm trying to think of some movies that are either based or shot in Oklahoma. Off the top of my head, I can come up with:

Oklahoma! (of course)
    Far and Away
    The Outsiders
    Keys to Tulsa
    Twister
    UHF
    Thelma and Louise (I think)
    Saving Grace (tv series)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I searched IMDB and came up with a bunch of movies with Oklahoma in the title. I didn't count those, however (not off the top of my head).
    ...this shortest straw has been pulled for you

Default Re: Movies based or shot in Oklahoma?

Rainman had some key scenes in Guthrie.

Also, the skyline of OKC was featured in Defending Your Life, as the fictional town, Judgment City:

Thanks.

4. Default Re: Movies based or shot in Oklahoma?

There was one title I was happy to see missing:

American Meth - The Documentary. whew!

Borat ( a deleted scene )
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

Quote Originally Posted by Karried View Post

Borat ( a deleted scene )
    Which one? I'll have to look for that.

6. Default Re: Movies based or shot in Oklahoma?

How about "The Fun Park", directed by Rick Walker with a lot of our local stars, including a brief appearance by Amy McRee. I haven't bought it yet, but I'd like to see it.

What about Where the Red Fern Grows???

Wasn't the Turning Point also set in OK?

Also, the made for TV movie Surviving (1985) was not only set but shot largely in OKC. Molly Ringwald and Zach Galligan were the stars. Also had Paul Sorvino, Ellen Burstyn and River Phoenix. There were several scenes that showed Lake Hefner, the Waterford, etc.

9. Default Re: Movies based or shot in Oklahoma?

I guess I am thinking more about Indie films but Brad Beasley has done a couple of Documentaries in Oklahoma that I can think of: Fearless Freaks, about the Flaming Lips and Okie Noodling.

Wayne Coyne did a movie with Brad Beasley, also, called Christmas on Mars. Can't say that I have actually seen this one but one of my friends worked on the movie.

Also, there is a Native American filmmaker, Sterlin Harjo, who has done several independent films/shorts in Oklahoma. His last film, Four Sheets, went to Sundance.

Elizabethtown
    Phenomenon (not my favorite)

I had a friend working for Graymark Productions, a local company, a few years back. Two small budget films called "Fingerprints" and "The Hunt" were two films made in this state. I believe "The Hunt" was filmed near Guthrie.

Let me also add Bradley Beasley's films to this topic. His work with the Flaming Lips, and the Okie Noodling movies need to be recognized.

Also the John Wayne film "True Grit" was based in Oklahoma. However, if you watch it, you'll know it wasn't shot here.

There was a movie in the late 80s or early 90s called My heroes have always been cowboys, and I think it was in Guthrie. The Hero was the bad guy from Urban Cowboy.

Whre the Heart Is was a 2000 movie based on a Billie Letts (an Oklahoman) novel
    with Natalie Portman and Ashley Judd. It takes place in Sequoyah (fictional ?) Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by AFCM View Post
    I'm trying to think of some movies that are either based or shot in Oklahoma. Off the top of my head, I can come up with:

Oklahoma! (of course)
    Far and Away
    The Outsiders
    Keys to Tulsa
    Twister
    UHF
    Thelma and Louise (I think)
    Saving Grace (tv series)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I searched IMDB and came up with a bunch of movies with Oklahoma in the title. I didn't count those, however (not off the top of my head).
    Of course, there was the old standby - The Grapes of Wrath" - not really based in Oklahoma but I believe the term "Okies" was coined by Steinbeck, wasn't it?''

I still dream of writing a novel about my mother and father's families, who hailed from Kiowa County, OK. After I write it, perhaps someone will make IT into a movie. "Red Dirt Rhapsody" anyone? :-)

'Surveillance' with Armand Assante was filmed entirely on location in Oklahoma City. Penn Square Mall was the mall where the security head is a little, well, crazy.

16. Default Re: Movies based or shot in Oklahoma?

Quote Originally Posted by jstanthrnme View Post
    I had a friend working for Graymark Productions, a local company, a few years back. Two small budget films called "Fingerprints" and "The Hunt" were two films made in this state. I believe "The Hunt" was filmed near Guthrie.

Let me also add Bradley Beasley's films to this topic. His work with the Flaming Lips, and the Okie Noodling movies need to be recognized.

Yup...I was in The Hunt. That was a fun time. I even got paid the big bucks!

I know somebody who worked on The Hunt.

Fast Charlie the Moonbeam Rider....Guthrie filled in for San Francisco in the ending of this movie. Watched it being filmed myself! (1979)

Fast Charlie... the Moonbeam Rider (1979)

Besides "The Outsiders," there were "Tex" and "Rumble Fish," all based on novels by Tulsa author A.J. Hinton, and they were filmed entirely in Tulsa.
    "The Dark at the Top of the Stairs" was not filmed in Oklahoma but took place in Shawnee, with several references to Oklahoma City.
    There was a Susan Hayward movie "Tulsa" about the early oil boom days. There were at least some location shots in Tulsa, with a stunning skyllne shot at the end.
    The movie "Rain Man" included some scenes shot in rural Oklahoma and some really good shots of Guthrie.

20. Default Re: Movies based or shot in Oklahoma?

The John Milius version of Dillinger with an amazing list of stars was filmed almost entirely in and around Ardmore and Lake Murray in 1972-73. I was present for most of the filming, and have wonderful memories. The movie wasn't great, but the guy with the best line was Harry Dean Stanton as Homer Van Meter, "Go****mit! Things ain't workin' out for me today!"
    Warren Oates, Ben Johnson, Cloris Leachman, Michelle Phillips, Geoffrey Lewis, Richard Dreyfuss, and Steve Kanaly were just some of the folks in the movie.

22. Default Re: Movies based or shot in Oklahoma?

Quote Originally Posted by redland View Post
    Besides "The Outsiders," there were "Tex" and "Rumble Fish," all based on novels by Tulsa author A.J. Hinton, and they were filmed entirely in Tulsa.
    "The Dark at the Top of the Stairs" was not filmed in Oklahoma but took place in Shawnee, with several references to Oklahoma City.
    There was a Susan Hayward movie "Tulsa" about the early oil boom days. There were at least some location shots in Tulsa, with a stunning skyllne shot at the end.
    The movie "Rain Man" included some scenes shot in rural Oklahoma and some really good shots of Guthrie.
    I think Rumble Fish was filmed in Minnesota.

It's SE Hinton and all three of her movies were shot in Tulsa.

"The Sons of Katie Elder" was based on the Marlow brothers.

Thread Information