Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gas Stations WITHOUT Ethanol

1. Default Gas Stations WITHOUT Ethanol

Has anyone been able to find many stations without ethanol? I have found it very difficult. The only one I have run across is the Shell at 15th & Santa Fe in Edmond, but I have heard very bad things about that station in the past (getting water in their tanks).

Post stations that you know do NOT have ethanol in their fuel to help those of us out that don't buy into the ethanol hype/myth, because we know that it decreases our mileage more than the $0.10 it saves.

Default Re: Gas Stations WITHOUT Ethanol

the c-store by my neighborhood has ethanol free gas. It's called M&D Food Store in SW Oklahoma City....SW 59 & Douglas, 1 block west of the OnCue (at 59th & Western)

I've seen a few signs advertising no ethanol. I noticed one in downtown Moore at Main and Broadway. You might check http://www.oklahomacitygasprices.com/

I don't know about your car but I get the exact same milage with E10 as I do with regular gasoline.

5. Default Re: Gas Stations WITHOUT Ethanol

I've been getting gas at the Shell station next door the the mercedes dealership on Broadway in DT OKC.

There are plenty of stations offering gasoline only. Most of them are cash only. I've noticed several stations as well (mainly Conoco's) that offer 5% ethanol, 10% ethanol or straight gas. A family member of mine is getting 20% better gas mileage with gas only. I am in the process of my second tank of both so when I run out, I will post the results and let you know if either fuel faired better. It's also helpful if you use a fuel injection cleaner every few tankfuls as well.

If you really want to get hardcore, put 2-3 ounces of pure acetone (fingernail polish remover, the kind with no dyes or perfumes or get it at local hardware store). Most hypermilers that use it claim up to a 80% increase in gas mileage. I know friends who were getting 250 miles per tank are getting over 500 miles per tank with it. (*NOTE: This is not my official or unofficial recommendation, but there is enough evidence on the web that this has proven to work, both chemically and test proven) There are naysayers that say some cars can't handle the repeated exposure to it for long periods of time without possibly slowly eating away at your gaskets, etc. Use at your own risk.

7. Default Re: Gas Stations WITHOUT Ethanol

I cannot even imagine physically how 2-3 ounces of acetone could double your mileage. That sounds pretty far-fetched.

Quote Originally Posted by brianinok View Post
    Has anyone been able to find many stations without ethanol? I have found it very difficult. The only one I have run across is the Shell at 15th & Santa Fe in Edmond, but I have heard very bad things about that station in the past (getting water in their tanks).

Post stations that you know do NOT have ethanol in their fuel to help those of us out that don't buy into the ethanol hype/myth, because we know that it decreases our mileage more than the $0.10 it saves.

The Express station @ Danforth & Boulevard...

Mallen, again while I don't recommend it. I know people who have proven it in their rides. It's been scientifically proven in numerous tests. The ones who try and debunk it, you will usually find they are funded by the big oil companies. Ironic?

» How to Boost Your Gas Mileage with Acetone » Blog Archive* *Alice Hill’s Real Tech News - Independent Tech

Tristition - Improving Gas Mileage: Fact vs. Fiction

Acetone In Fuel Said to Increase Mileage

Acetone To Regular Gas, & Better Mileage

Boost gas mileage 15-35% - Automotive Forums .com Car Chat

Heres my question...is the decrease in fuel economy going to cost you more money than going to a gas station that charges more? Isn't that the point with the ethenol is that its cheaper?

The Conoco on the corner of Memorial and Western is ethanol free. I also might add that I get an average of at least 50 more miles out of a tank of their gas. I drive that in a day to work and back so, it helps me. Shell for some reason gives me the lowest mileage per tank. 7-11 gas makes my car run like crap. So does Walmart.

I think it depends on your car model also. Sometimes Ethanol gas causes build up in your filters which gives you low mileage and causes more mechanical problems in the long run. I haven't noticed a difference in gas prices for ethanol users either - guess it only saves the store money not the consumer.

There are several station in Moore that offer ethanol free gas, We currently fill up at Jerry's on the corner of 4th and telephone road, they take cash, checks or credit cards.

I learned this ethanol stuff the hard way, we used to fill up at wal mart with gas read the brochure at murphys about the new 10% ethanol they carried and said it would not harm your vehicle, WRONG answer here last week my 2000 silverado started running rough and misfiring took it in and basically had to have the whole fuel system replaced on it was over 1100.00 and the mechanic shoed me the parts and what the ethanol had done to them, basically the filter screen on the bottom f the fuel pump was completely clogged from all the dirt and residue from in the gas tank brought out by using ethanol gas as well as the fuel filter was packed full from it as well. Basically if your car is not specifically designed to run on ethanol it will mess things up with your fuel system. 7-11 has the E-10 blend also so it is to be avoided.

The Phillips 66 at Reno and Villa and the Conoco at Main and Cornwell in Yukon are Ethanol free. I'm pretty sure that all 7-11, Love's, Murphy, and Circle K stations are E-10. I haven't gone to a station that is Ethanol free yet, but I'm going to try it with my next tank to see if it really justifies paying more. Does anyone know if Ethanol messes something up, if your warranty will cover it?

Bobby...doesn't sounds to me that your problem was the ethanol, rather the crap that was in it. Couldn't that happen with gasoline as well? Seems to me if ethanol caused that much of a problem to your fuel system, it would be known. Besides that, I was under the impression that e-85, for example, actually burns cleaner than gasoline..

I'm still interested in the difference in pricing...if I get a little bit more out of a tank, thats cool, but if the place is a ton more expensive, is it worth going out of my way to them?

Quote Originally Posted by hipsterdoofus View Post
    I'm still interested in the difference in pricing...if I get a little bit more out of a tank, thats cool, but if the place is a ton more expensive, is it worth going out of my way to them?
    AMEN!! That's what I would like to know! I have a feeling we will find out the answer is no. When I was getting my haircut tonight, I was talking with the lady about this. Ok so she has a 22 gallon Mercury Malon. Non Ethanol gas is 10-20 cents higher. Ok, she said that he mileage went from 22.6 - 22.1 non ethanol vs. ethanol. Ok, assuming this being the case, at $3.96 gallon non ethanol vs. 3.73 gallon E-10 (prices I saw today). Doing the math.....how is that worth it?

16. Default Re: Gas Stations WITHOUT Ethanol

kmf, thanks for the tip! I filled up there tonight. That's the only place I've found in the area where I live and work (west Edmond/Quail Springs).

And everyone, I did not intend for this to be a debate thread. You pro-ethanol people won-- you have virtually every station in the state where you can save a dime. All I know is my mileage dropped 3-4 mpg with 10% ethanol, so I asked my dealership about it and they told me that while ethanol will not do any long term damage to my vehicle, it will cause it to cough, idle funny, hesitate, and lower my mpg.

You pro-ethanol people won
    Uhh just to be clear, I'm not a "pro-ethanol" person...I just want to know if its really worth it to pay the extra money to get a little more out of a tank....funny enough, no one that is anti-ethanol seems willing to answer that.

For all you curious, why don't you test it out yourselves. Fill up a tank with ethanol and then next tank do it without ethanol. Everyone's car and condition of car is different.

For the guy about warranties. Check your auto warranty as each person's warranty is different depending on year, make, model of car as well as where you purchased the car and where the warranty is from. Most vehicle manuals tell you if you can run ethanol safely or not.

kmf, thanks for the tip! I filled up there tonight. That's the only place I've found in the area where I live and work (west Edmond/Quail Springs).

And everyone, I did not intend for this to be a debate thread. You pro-ethanol people won-- you have virtually every station in the state where you can save a dime. All I know is my mileage dropped 3-4 mpg with 10% ethanol, so I asked my dealership about it and they told me that while ethanol will not do any long term damage to my vehicle, it will cause it to cough, idle funny, hesitate, and lower my mpg.
    That was not my intention. I'm not pro-ethanol. I just want the most bang for my buck. I'm going to be testing this myself. I just think everyone needs to get all of the facts about something before making a decision. Your 3-4 MPG drop could be a variety of factors. E-10 may not be the cause or it could be. Just make sure before you throw away $4 extra.

20. Default Re: Gas Stations WITHOUT Ethanol

I think it roughly equals out on mileage in the end. But, I would rather have a better running car and do my part to keep food prices from rising further.

I think it roughly equals out on mileage in the end. But, I would rather have a better running car and do my part to keep food prices from rising further.
    I'm not sure that 10% or less has been a factor in food prices as much as the push for higher percentage ethanol, like e-85...how long has e-10 been around? I don't think that its a new thing that they've been putting ethanol in with gasoline.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    For all you curious, why don't you test it out yourselves. Fill up a tank with ethanol and then next tank do it without ethanol. Everyone's car and condition of car is different.

For the guy about warranties. Check your auto warranty as each person's warranty is different depending on year, make, model of car as well as where you purchased the car and where the warranty is from. Most vehicle manuals tell you if you can run ethanol safely or not.
    Thanks metro, that's some good advice. Every car is different. Personally, I feel like everyone I know is freaking out thinking that E10 is going to damage their engines, destroy gas mileage (most of the local media has been talking about it just saying "it will cost you gas mileage" without reporting actual numbers), etc, but it just feels like nobody really knows the facts, perhaps me too. I don't think ethanol gas would be sold so widely for such a long time if it destroys engines. Just read the manual, folks! Also, most of the country has been using ethanol in gas for some time, in the phase out of MTBE, a carcinogen, and about half of the gas in the US contains some ethanol.

Personally, in my recent trials, I come out slightly ahead, save 4% on E10 over full gas, and lose only about 2.5% mpg, but my car is brand new (08 honda civic). Plus its cleaner burning, sounds good to me.

To answer the question on the thread, you can pick E5, E10, or 100% at the Valero on 240 and Sooner, and I think just 100% at the Phillips66 across the street (where they have jacked up the prices to 3.95). E10 is 3.79 at Valero.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Mallen, again while I don't recommend it. I know people who have proven it in their rides. It's been scientifically proven in numerous tests. The ones who try and debunk it, you will usually find they are funded by the big oil companies. Ironic?

» How to Boost Your Gas Mileage with Acetone » Blog Archive* *Alice Hill’s Real Tech News - Independent Tech

Acetone In Fuel Said to Increase Mileage

Acetone To Regular Gas, & Better Mileage

Boost gas mileage 15-35% - Automotive Forums .com Car Chat
    Snopes claims this is false. Not saying they're the end all authority on this but they usually have pretty good info and I don't think they're funded by big oil. But if you have personal experience of it doubling gas mileage, then I don't know.

My suggestion is to ask your mechanic or dealership. They know your car the best besides you. My car doesn't like it. It's not one of those things where you put it in your car and your engine falls out, over time is where the problem occurs. It is definitely a question I will have when buying a new car from now on.

I haven't seen any other stations that are ethanol free, but if I do I will post them. Does anyone know of one around the airport area or in Mustang?

25. Default Re: Gas Stations WITHOUT Ethanol

Putting acetone in your tank is bunk, and it CAN eat your car from the inside out. If putting a couple of ounces of something that cheap could really do that...They'd mix that sh*t in at the refinery, or gas stations would do it and charge extra. Anybody who tells you that they're getting EIGHTY percent better mileage by acetone alone is either a moron or a liar. "Hypermilers" are taking things to the extreme, and probably ARE increasing their mileage by a huge margin, but the acetone isn't doing it...Driving like an ADD monkey on ephedrine is.

As for people reporting mileage differences between e85 and regular old gas...Unless you're making an identical trip, under identical conditions, with the same load on engine the majority of the time...There's really no way to tell. I can vary my mileage in one of my trucks by 5mpg just by driving different. Cooler days will net you better mileage as well, due to the density of the air charge going into your car...Allowing for a better timing curve and more optimal air/fuel ratios. That's also why your car is faster on cold days

As for PERFORMANCE...My other truck is a finicky drinker, as it's a high performance engine...And my times at the track indicate a negligible performance difference between the two types of gas.

Thread Information