Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Staybridge Suites

Blog Entries

Default Re: Candlewood Suites & Inn (back from the dead!)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I suppose this is good news but it seems we are getting close -- if not there already -- to being fully saturated with lower end, through-the-wall-HVAC type hotels in Bricktown.

It will be interesting to see the design they are proposing.
    Thanks for throwing in the "through the wall" comment...it is a pet peeve of mine. :-). However, in this instance, given it is next to the freeways the "white noise" of the units in the room may actually be a good thing. They will mask the traffic noise and the exterior noise is mostly also masked.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Thanks for throwing in the "through the wall" comment...it is a pet peeve of mine. :-). However, in this instance, given it is next to the freeways the "white noise" of the units in the room may actually be a good thing. They will mask the traffic noise and the exterior noise is mostly also masked.
    Not directly referring to heating and air, how many rooms can this market support? We probably have upwards of 1,000 rooms proposed or under construction in a 1 mile radius not including any rooms the convention center hotel would bring.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Not directly referring to heating and air, how many rooms can this market support? We probably have upwards of 1,000 rooms proposed or under construction in a 1 mile radius not including any rooms the convention center hotel would bring.
    tons in the downtown area ..... now if i owned a hotel off of meridian or some where outside the core of down town i might start to worry

Nah, the meridian area does a right fair amount of business relating to the fairgrounds traffic and some military setups as well. I don't think rooms in BT will much impact that area. I would think the motel folk in Moore might feel some of it. Maybe Norman, but not all that much. There have been several new blocks of rooms open in Norman in recent years, and even with all the new, I've not seen any of the older places board up their windows yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    tons in the downtown area ..... now if i owned a hotel off of meridian or some where outside the core of down town i might start to worry
    True. Saturation of the low-frill/budget might actually be a good thing. It will make it easier for quality chains to "skim" off the top. All of the people looking for good deals would already be filling the cheap rooms, allowing for the hotels aimed at more expensive products to not have to worry about balancing quality and price and to focus only on premium travelers.

This technique also is used in airlines, that's why the premium network carriers don't worry about the low-frill budget carriers as much as they used to, the low-frill carriers suck in the cost sensitive passengers allowing the network carriers to focus on the higher fare passengers.

This is the same developer that has proposed a hotel west of The Hill and east of The Wedge on Russell M. Perry, correct? And what was that chain to be?

Enough with the hotels already, all this is doing is giving the city more and more reasons not to come up with a $50M public subsidy for CC Hotel....

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Enough with the hotels already, all this is doing is giving the city more and more reasons not to come up with a $50M public subsidy for CC Hotel....
    When it comes to hosting an All-Star game...we are very far away from the minimum # of rooms required to host such an event. Keep 'em a comin!

Oklahoma City won't host an All-Star game for long while...

Oklahoma City won't host an All-Star game for long while...
    Yeah, because there's not enough hotel rooms, lol.

Blog Entries

This in no way negates the need for a first class hotel downtown as an anchor CC hotel. Apples and oranges. It is time we get another QUALITY full service hotel downtown, CC or no CC.

Ok, I don't want to hear the whining when the CC Hotel is scrapped because we implemented enough hotel stock to support the new convention center.

Ok, I don't want to hear the whining when the CC Hotel is scrapped because we implemented enough hotel stock to support the new convention center.
    Don't worry that wont happen

If the CC Hotel isn't scrapped it could be dramatically downsized...to like 300-400 rooms...if we really want to compete with the Austin's, Nashville's and Ft. Worth's....we need to build a 600+ room hotel.

Calm down.

ok, lol

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    It is referencing the amount of LOW END hotel rooms coming on. Through the wall is a type of air conditioning unit/system that is used mostly on cheaply constructed lower priced hotels/motels. The market is or is getting saturated with these types of lower end products. This would be like all the new retail being Dollar Trees or Walls Bargain Stores.

It is referencing the amount of LOW END hotel rooms coming on. Through the wall is a type of air conditioning unit/system that is used mostly on cheaply constructed lower priced hotels/motels. The market is or is getting saturated with these types of lower end products. This would be like all the new retail being Dollar Trees or Walls Bargain Stores.
    I agree. I believe we were saying the same thing under slightly different wording.

19. Default Re: Candlewood Suites & Inn (back from the dead!)

<--- This. As much as I am excited to see additional hotels coming in the downtown area, it seems like we are only getting 2.5 to 3 star hotels. Like it or not on the merits, a Hilton Garden Inn or a Hampton Inn has a different reputation than a mainline Hilton. An Aloft, while nice, has a different reputation than a Westin or W Hotel. I'm not saying we shouldn't be happy to see more rooms coming in; I'm just slightly alarmed to not be seeing the balance of higher end hotels and the mainstream ones we are getting.

20. Default Re: Candlewood Suites & Inn (back from the dead!)

Count me in the crowd that is growing tired of the budget chains and ready for the likes of a Hyatt, Omni, Marriott, or Westin downtown. Hell, I'd even take a Doubletree at this point. Having a Renaissance, the Skirvin (Hilton), and a sub-par Sheraton as the only high quality chains downtown leaves me wanting.

I personally don't mind the lower priced hotels. It makes downtown a viable choice for a far greater number of visitors. It is kind of weird that people complain that downtown housing cost too much and argue that lower residential prices would bring in more people and then take the exact opposite view on hotels. I think downtown needs hotels at all price points but they should follow a bell curve, some at the high end, most in the middle, and some at the very low end. Would one or two more at the high end be welcomed? Yep, but if it take a while for those to get here that is okay. In the meantime we have a Marriott, Hilton, Shearton, and the Colcord. I also wouldn't mind some at the very low end either like a Microtel and Roadway. Heck, even a Best Western would do.

All these lower-end rooms are fine but we really need more nicer, full-service hotels as well.

It's interesting how everything in the CBD is higher end and generally nicer and then everything in the Bricktown / Deep Deuce area is at the lower price points.

It's interesting how everything in the CBD is higher end and generally nicer and then everything in the Bricktown / Deep Deuce area is at the lower price points.
    Different clientel and don't forget the power of the expense report. I know people who stay in hotels they would never pay to stay in if they were picking up the bill themselves.

Application before the Bricktown Design Review Committee for this project.

It will now be a Staybridge Suites hotel with 88,000 square feet.

Can't see any more details but they will have to present detailed plans and rendering at the meeting in about a month.

Application before the Bricktown Design Review Committee for this project.

It will now be a Staybridge Suites hotel with 88,000 square feet.

Can't see any more details but they will have to present detailed plans and rendering at the meeting in about a month.
    they are giving a Applicant Presentation (for info only) at tomorrow's meeting .. i hope steve or someone can get some pics of their renderings ..

Thread Information