Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Staybridge Suites

1. Default Re: Developers propose hotel in Oklahoma City's Bricktown area

well good for Tulsa. goody goody.

Im sure EBAH was stating his own opinion about Crowne Plaza being the ONLY true downtown hotel up there Tulsa. I mean, isn't Crowne Plaza the biggest brand that downtown Tulsa has? Maybe that is why he thinks what he thinks.

Im sure he wasn't trying to belittle poor little ole always picked-on Tulsa or the other hotels that are being built. Im sure he was just stating his own opinion, because he always stays at crowne plaza.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Default Re: Developers propose hotel in Oklahoma City's Bricktown area

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    Actually, BG918 rightfully called the Holiday Inn (Tulsa City Center location) a REAL hotel. We're not talking an "Express" - this is the full-service real deal. It's the newest hotel in downtown Tulsa (15-stories) and just opened. Holiday Inn Tulsa City Center
    Just so you know the Holiday Inn in DT Tulsa is a remodel, not new construction. It was 2 or 3 other names within the past 10 years.

3. Default Re: Developers propose hotel in Oklahoma City's Bricktown area

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    well good for Tulsa. goody goody.

Im sure EBAH was stating his own opinion about Crowne Plaza being the ONLY true downtown hotel up there Tulsa. I mean, isn't Crowne Plaza the biggest brand that downtown Tulsa has? Maybe that is why he thinks what he thinks.

Im sure he wasn't trying to belittle poor little ole always picked-on Tulsa or the other hotels that are being built. Im sure he was just stating his own opinion, because he always stays at crowne plaza.
    Good lordy. I always thought you were a grown man, but this kind of silliness makes me think otherwise. It's a city, Hot Rod, a city. That's all. We're a city. That's all. You take this kind of thing so personally that it's almost embarrasing at times to read. Reading old posts the other day, I was reading where you were offended that Oklahoma City wasn't shown on a national weather map, not realizing they leave out and rotate cities all the time, usually for graphic-placement purposes. That's the kind of thing I'm talking about. You even thought yesterday that Wal-Mart should be convinced to move to OKC. I mean, I'm all for cheering our city on, but sometimes it's taken to ridiculous and silly extremes.

Quote Originally Posted by tulsooner View Post
    Just so you know the Holiday Inn in DT Tulsa is a remodel, not new construction. It was 2 or 3 other names within the past 10 years.
    Thanks for the correction!

4. Default Re: Developers propose hotel in Oklahoma City's Bricktown area

those are my opinions and those are yours.

Mike, You are entitled to say what you want and I am entitled to say what I want.

However, I take offense to your accusation and point to your post as evidence you should consider for yourself. Maybe next time you should either read my posts (as sometimes Im a little slow to my point) or just avoid my posts altogether.

In case you didn't notice, I was actually defending Poor little Tulsa, for being picked on (all the time on OKCTalk) - as all I said was he was stating his opinion of the quality of the hotel, not taking a stab at Tulsa's downtown hotel situation (which I also commended).

I think looking up someone's history to use for attack is quite Childish myself. If someone like me does not voice their opinion, how could things ever change in a city like OKC - that nobody cared about. .... Also, in case you didn't notice, this is an OKC forum and most of us talk about OKC renaissance and ideas on how to improve OKC. We don't purposely talk bad about other cities (same can't be said for other sites) but I don't want everything always turning into a "why don't we ever talk highly about Tulsa" session either. This is OKC Talk and this is the OKC section. ... deal with it.

So it looks like YOU were the childish one who took it personal that I was attacking "poor ole Tulsa". Boo hoo.

5. Default Re: Developers propose hotel in Oklahoma City's Bricktown area

those are my opinions and those are yours.

Mike, You are entitled to say what you want and I am entitled to say what I want.

However, I take offense to your accusation and point to your post as evidence you should consider for yourself. Maybe next time you should either read my posts (as sometimes Im a little slow to my point) or just avoid my posts altogether.

In case you didn't notice, I was actually defending Poor little Tulsa, for being picked on (all the time on OKCTalk) - as all I said was he was stating his opinion of the quality of the hotel, not taking a stab at Tulsa's downtown hotel situation (which I also commended).

I think looking up someone's history to use for attack is quite Childish myself. If someone like me does not voice their opinion, how could things ever change in a city like OKC - that nobody cared about. .... Also, in case you didn't notice, this is an OKC forum and most of us talk about OKC renaissance and ideas on how to improve OKC. We don't purposely talk bad about other cities (same can't be said for other sites) but I don't want everything always turning into a "why don't we ever talk highly about Tulsa" session either. This is OKC Talk and this is the OKC section. ... deal with it.

So it looks like YOU were the childish one who took it personal that I was attacking "poor ole Tulsa". Boo hoo.
    Hot Rod, Please. That post of yours was an attack on Tulsa and you know it. Why try to spin it? I'm just sick of that whole back and forth. Your post had nothing to do with anything except the clear purpose of taking a pot-shot at Tulsa. Childish, silly, immature, opinion, call it what you want, but don't make it look as if you didn't do what you clearly did.

I have never looked up your history to use for attacks. You misunderstood. I was reading through old posts and one of yours stood out (the weather map thing), then yesterday I responded to your post about thinking Wal-Mart might be persuaded to move to OKC. I've noticed your, uh, "enthusiasm," that's all.

I'm also well aware this is an OKC forum. It's even in my username! And, unlike you, I even live here. Thanks for the lecture.

If you want to continue, my PM works. This isn't good for the board.

6. Default Re: Developers propose hotel in Oklahoma City's Bricktown area

actually it wasn't dissing Tulsa. I honestly couldn't care less and am sick of most threads turning into that. I was only stating EBAH's opinion could just be for the hotel and not Tulsa's downtown market itself.

Congrats on living in OKC, but I was born and raised there - and many on this forum like me being here, if nothing else to give an outside prospective. I've been a long champion of OKC's potential WAY before OKCTalk ever existed.

you weren't looking through my history, but you read through my old posts? ????? huh?

I might make recommendations that many other companies move to OKC too, after all - this is an OKC Renaissance forum. I'd do the same if I were from Tulsa or any other city. so, I think you should expect there might be some comments about getting businesses into OKC, even if unrealistic in reality - you never know until you try.

"If you want to continue, my PM works. This isn't good for the board. "

then why did you bring it up on the board?

Actually, BG918 rightfully called the Holiday Inn (Tulsa City Center location) a REAL hotel. We're not talking an "Express" - this is the full-service real deal. It's the newest hotel in downtown Tulsa (15-stories) and just opened. Holiday Inn Tulsa City Center
    I am really stunned to see the interior pics of that hotel. I remember one time we were visiting relatives in Tulsa when I was a kid, and their house was full so we got a room at a hotel very last minute--the hotel was the Downtown Plaza hotel, a real hellhole.. we woke up the next morning and the side of our floor across from the elevators had become a crime scene overnight because some dude jumped out a window.

The exterior is still pretty bad. I'd call it about par for a downtown Holiday Inn these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I am really stunned to see the interior pics of that hotel. I remember one time we were visiting relatives in Tulsa when I was a kid, and their house was full so we got a room at a hotel very last minute--the hotel was the Downtown Plaza hotel, a real hellhole.. we woke up the next morning and the side of our floor across from the elevators had become a crime scene overnight because some dude jumped out a window.

The exterior is still pretty bad. I'd call it about par for a downtown Holiday Inn these days.
    While it's nice for Tulsa to improve an eyesore it's not something I would want to trade for any of our new downtown hotels anyway.

Not even the Candlewood Suites? lol

What about the Bricktown Residence Inn under the big green shed?

Don't be so sure of those kinds of definitive statements about Downtown OKC quality..

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Not even the Candlewood Suites? lol

What about the Bricktown Residence Inn under the big green shed?

Don't be so sure of those kinds of definitive statements about Downtown OKC quality..
    As far as the architecture and look of the hotel, I stand by my statment. There is nothing noteworthy or interesting about that hotel.

11. Default Re: Developers propose hotel in Oklahoma City's Bricktown area

Yeah it looks very much like our former Holiday Inn next to the Montgomery on Main. I'll take the Residence Inn any day over that concrete box.

So Steve bout 3 month time frame before we hear an announcement on the new hotel?

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    Yeah it looks very much like our former Holiday Inn next to the Montgomery on Main. I'll take the Residence Inn any day over that concrete box.
    I disagree... the Residence in is AWFUL!! Give me the box.

Quote Originally Posted by sroberts24 View Post
    So Steve bout 3 month time frame before we hear an announcement on the new hotel?
    According to G.Walker, we won't hear about anything new until after Project 180

Doubletree is a big name and may be the largest hotel in downtown Tulsa or about the same size as Crowne Plaza. OKC definitely has more new construction hotels but Tulsa has several new and ongoing renovations including the Holiday Inn (MUCH better than the Great Western that used to be there), the Mayo, and the Courtyard Marriott in the Atlas building near 4th & Boston opening this summer. There are two hotel proposals in the vicinity of the convention and BOK centers including one that repurposes the old MCM City Hall Tower. The Hampton Inn in Bricktown is a great addition and one of those would be nice to have in Tulsa.

16. Default Re: Developers propose hotel in Oklahoma City's Bricktown area

Quote Originally Posted by sroberts24 View Post
    Nope. I'm not going out on that limb. In this economy any deal that's real this month could totally fall apart next week.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    This got me to wondering. What went into the former HI on Main anyway?

18. Default Re: Developers propose hotel in Oklahoma City's Bricktown area

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    This got me to wondering. What went into the former HI on Main anyway?
    It's a conspiracy place if you believe some. No signs, nothing. People coming and going all the time from the airport.

Actually, it's the international headquarters of a Bill Gothard-supported outfit called the "International Association of Character Cities." Tom Hill with Kimray actually started the group and it has grown into a huge organization. For those who don't know, Tom is an extremely nice guy but is far, far to the right of Jim Inhofe or Tom Coburn. Kimray used to advertise in the magazine of the John Birch Society and has always been linked to the far, far right. The IACC (in the old Holiday Inn) is criticized by many for having close ties to certain Dominionist groups. You might know their big project CharacterFirst!.

The national magazine In These Times (far left) did an expose of this group and their secrecy (all run out of the old Holiday Inn on Main here in Oklahoma City). Fascinating reading wherever you stand on the issue:
    Cult of Character -- In These Times

19. Default Re: Developers propose hotel in Oklahoma City's Bricktown area

It's a conspiracy place if you believe some. No signs, nothing. People coming and going all the time from the airport.

Actually, it's the international headquarters of a Bill Gothard-supported outfit called the "International Association of Character Cities." Tom Hill with Kimray actually started the group and it has grown into a huge organization. For those who don't know, Tom is an extremely nice guy but is far, far to the right of Jim Inhofe or Tom Coburn. Kimray used to advertise in the magazine of the John Birch Society and has always been linked to the far, far right. The IACC (in the old Holiday Inn) is criticized by many for having close ties to certain Dominionist groups. You might know their big project CharacterFirst!.

The national magazine In These Times (far left) did an expose of this group and their secrecy (all run out of the old Holiday Inn on Main here in Oklahoma City). Fascinating reading wherever you stand on the issue:
    Cult of Character -- In These Times
    Concerning the above, here's an old thread that arose from field research for my still undone downtown clickable map which might be of interest ... I wanted to know what the building was used for so I paid it a visit: http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-are...ay+inn+gothard

20. Default Re: Developers propose hotel in Oklahoma City's Bricktown area

Good stuff, Doug. I saw somewhere in your old thread about Kimray's support and his connection to the John Birch Society. I've always heard the same thing about Tom Hill and Kimray. From what I hear, the whole thing is a huge outfit but keeps things pretty close to the vest in typical Bill Gothard style.

21. Default Re: Developers propose hotel in Oklahoma City's Bricktown area

Quote Originally Posted by Platemaker View Post
    I disagree... the Residence in is AWFUL!! Give me the box.
    Nope. :P

Default Re: Candlewood Suites & Inn (dead)

maybe this project is coming back ... or it is a misprint in the latest Bricktown UD agenda

A. Applicant Presentation
    Chetan Patel of Patel Design and Ralph Martinez of RGM Architects will
    make a presentation to the Committee, for informational purposes only, on
    a proposed 131-room hotel at the northeast corner of E. Reno Avenue and
    Lincoln Boulevard.

23. Default Re: Candlewood Suites & Inn (dead)

Yep. Not dead.

Default Re: Candlewood Suites & Inn (back from the dead!)

I suppose this is good news but it seems we are getting close -- if not there already -- to being fully saturated with lower end, through-the-wall-HVAC type hotels in Bricktown.

It will be interesting to see the design they are proposing.

Default Re: Candlewood Suites & Inn (back from the dead!)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I suppose this is good news but it seems we are getting close -- if not there already -- to being fully saturated with lower end, through-the-wall-HVAC type hotels in Bricktown.

It will be interesting to see the design they are proposing.
    this would be good .. either way IMHO it really is a horrible place for a hotel .(next the the interstate across from a gas station and body shop)

Thread Information