Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Staybridge Suites

1. Default Re: Developers propose hotel in Oklahoma City's Bricktown area

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    An Aloft (and Westin) hotels recently opened up in The Domain lifestyle center here in Austin, which is quite a bit north of downtown. Most of the Alofts that I have seen are not urban.
    The last one they opened is in downtown Milwaukee. However, you are mostly right. They're big on airport locations as well. In the Dallas metro, there is the one downtown, one in Plano and one now in Frisco. By the way, the Plano Aloft has incredible weekend deals all the time. They are right across the highway from Shops At Legacy, very convenient for that area. You can get weekend deals at $49 quite often. Nice place, too.

Default Re: Developers propose hotel in Oklahoma City's Bricktown area

When we have stayed in the North Dallas area we usually stay at the NYLO Hotel on Preston just south of 121, they have been very reasonable when we have stayed there. They now have a Las Colinas location and one in the Providence, R.I. I haven't stayed in Downtown Dallas in many, many years, in fact I think the last time that I stayed there was probably an OU-Texas weekend before I moved to Dallas in 1991. When I was back in OKC from 1993-2003 I usually stayed out of downtown.

The W Hotel is being built in Downtown Austin right now, there were concerns about it being scrapped but I think most of the financing was in place before the crash so they continued with it although I think the hotel/condo mix of it has been changed some.

3. Default Re: Developers propose hotel in Oklahoma City's Bricktown area

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    When we have stayed in the North Dallas area we usually stay at the NYLO Hotel on Preston just south of 121, they have been very reasonable when we have stayed there. They now have a Las Colinas location and one in the Providence, R.I. I haven't stayed in Downtown Dallas in many, many years, in fact I think the last time that I stayed there was probably an OU-Texas weekend before I moved to Dallas in 1991. When I was back in OKC from 1993-2003 I usually stayed out of downtown.

The W Hotel is being built in Downtown Austin right now, there were concerns about it being scrapped but I think most of the financing was in place before the crash so they continued with it although I think the hotel/condo mix of it has been changed some.
    I stayed at the NYLO on Preston for two weeks waiting for my mini-condo at Legacy. It was okay, but they have the knock-off reputation. The aloft is the real deal and nicer than NYLO (in my opinion). After all, aloft is a Starwood brand and it's hard to top them. In fact, in July of '09 I posted here about how I thought an aloft would do well in OKC.

A 'W' in Austin? That's great!

edit: Not to confuse anyone, I travel a lot, live in three cities and own condos in two of them (OKC and Plano). I have a small rental in STL.

I've stayed at the NYLO in Frisco last year for the OU-BYU game, very nice. They have since remodeled it slightly and made it "Texas-chic urba (with cow print, etc.)"

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    I stayed at the NYLO on Preston for two weeks waiting for my mini-condo at Legacy. It was okay, but they have the knock-off reputation. The aloft is the real deal and nicer than NYLO (in my opinion). After all, aloft is a Starwood brand and it's hard to top them. In fact, in July of '09 I posted here about how I thought an aloft would do well in OKC.

A 'W' in Austin? That's great!
    When I have stayed at NYLO it has been on an $89 rate, I think the Aloft was in the $169 range at the times that I have priced them. I think either would do well up there.

I think they have topped out the W and have been installing the glazing in the past few weeks.

It blows my mind that Rogers, AR has an aloft and we don't...

Speaking of hotels....

Lender seeks foreclosure against Crowne Plaza Tulsa

By ROBERT EVATT World Staff Writer
    Published: 3/25/2010 4:28 PM
    Last Modified: 3/25/2010 4:31 PM

A Cayman Islands lender filed suit seeking foreclosure against Crowne Plaza Tulsa, claiming the downtown hotel owes $25.78 million.

As part of the actions within the suit, filed Jan. 15 in Tulsa County District Court, Judge Rebecca Brett Nightingale placed the downtown hotel into receivership.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at Tulsa World: Lender seeks foreclosure against Crowne Plaza Tulsa

Quote Originally Posted by circuitboard View Post
    It blows my mind that Rogers, AR has an aloft and we don't...
    and OKC doesn't have Walmart...

haven't stayed in one but think this one looks really cool

let's get it

Urban Boutique Hotels - Loft Lodging

Quote Originally Posted by kbsooner View Post
    and OKC doesn't have Walmart...
    LOL...True (if you go to Wal-Mart's find a store, no matter what criteria you select (with the max radius), it returns Zero results every time.

And it used to be true that there were very few Wal-Marts within the OKC city limits, they built the stores where their competitors wouldn't (the demographics on paper showed them as being small towns)...just across the street in Bethany, Warr Acres, the Village etc. As the size of the stores increased (Super Centers), Wal-Mart kind of fell for the same demographics angle that their competitors once held and relocated them mostly within the OKC City limits. Had to be a huge shift in the sales tax revenue for the communities affected.

Speaking of hotels....

Lender seeks foreclosure against Crowne Plaza Tulsa

By ROBERT EVATT World Staff Writer
    Published: 3/25/2010 4:28 PM
    Last Modified: 3/25/2010 4:31 PM

A Cayman Islands lender filed suit seeking foreclosure against Crowne Plaza Tulsa, claiming the downtown hotel owes $25.78 million.

As part of the actions within the suit, filed Jan. 15 in Tulsa County District Court, Judge Rebecca Brett Nightingale placed the downtown hotel into receivership.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at Tulsa World: Lender seeks foreclosure against Crowne Plaza Tulsa
    Bummer, I stay at the Crowne Plaza every time I go to Tulsa, it's the only real downtown hotel they have, and it is quite good. I'd be pretty sad to see them bite the dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    LOL...True (if you go to Wal-Mart's find a store, no matter what criteria you select (with the max radius), it returns Zero results every time.

And it used to be true that there were very few Wal-Marts within the OKC city limits, they built the stores where their competitors wouldn't (the demographics on paper showed them as being small towns)...just across the street in Bethany, Warr Acres, the Village etc. As the size of the stores increased (Super Centers), Wal-Mart kind of fell for the same demographics angle that their competitors once held and relocated them mostly within the OKC City limits. Had to be a huge shift in the sales tax revenue for the communities affected.
    Larry, not sure we're on the same page. I was angling for Walmart headquarters in Rogers/Bentonville area.

Sorry if I misread...thought you were making a joke

Since you were replying to : " It blows my mind that Rogers, AR has an aloft and we don't..." with your Wal Mart comment, thought you were talking about stores, not headquarters. Unless the "aloft" comment was talking about headquarters too? In which case I am completely confused...LOL

14. Default Re: Developers propose hotel in Oklahoma City's Bricktown area

that would be something if OKC could lure away the headquarters.

I actually find it surprising that the HQ is still there and not in a major city yet.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

15. Default Re: Developers propose hotel in Oklahoma City's Bricktown area

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    that would be something if OKC could lure away the headquarters.

I actually find it surprising that the HQ is still there and not in a major city yet.
    That's never even been suggested. Wal-Mart is going no place. They are firmly entrenched in one of the fastest growing SMA's in all of America. Rogers, specifically, is a growing, modern, suburban area. That whole metro with Springdale, Bentonville, Fayeteville and Rogers is quite impressive. Many people have no idea what's happening in Northwest Arkansas.

Here's a relocation video produced by one of the several Chambers of Commerce in the area...take a look...you'll be surprised!
    http://www.rogerslowell.com/relocation/video.asp

Truth be told, we have nothing in OKC that can compare, for example, with Pinnacle Hills Promenade as an outdoor shopping venue. Wal-Mart and all the companies that have offices in the region (because of Wal-Mart) will never leave NWA. That area is exploding.

That's never even been suggested. Wal-Mart is going no place. They are firmly entrenched in one of the fastest growing SMA's in all of America. Rogers, specifically, is a growing, modern, suburban area. That whole metro with Springdale, Bentonville, Fayeteville and Rogers is quite impressive. Many people have no idea what's happening in Northwest Arkansas.

Here's a relocation video produced by one of the several Chambers of Commerce in the area...take a look...you'll be surprised!
    [URL]

Truth be told, we have nothing in OKC that can compare, for example, with Pinnacle Hills Promenade as an outdoor shopping venue. Wal-Mart and all the companies that have offices in the region (because of Wal-Mart) will never leave NWA. That area is exploding.
    This is what I was getting at, but was too lazy to type! Truly an entire region built around a single company.

This is what I was getting at, but was too lazy to type! Truly an entire region built around a single company.
    There are also many of companies located or headquartered there because of their ties to Wal Mart as well.

Not just one company, Tyson Chicken and JB Hunt are also based there.

http://www.rogerslowell.com/relocation/video.asp

Exactly. I visited there last year as a friend works for the Walmart HQ. The HQ itself is a dump though, at least on the outside. HOTROD Walmart isn't going anywhere outside of Bentonville, AR. As others have said, that area is exploding and Walmart requires any retailer/supplier that wants to do business with them to locate an office in the tri-city region. Heck, downtown Fayetteville, AR has some things going for it that downtown OKC doesn't.

Yeah I went there to visit a friend last year, that works for Wal-Mart of course and her husband works for a company that relocated because of Wal-Mart ties. It's a nice area, but to be honest it seemed kind of like a movie set. There was all this new nice stuff, but no one to be found. I was there on the weekend. But I am sure it is growing, just felt dead there.

Yeah, it sure is laid out weird, kinda like a twilight zone.

22. Default Re: Developers propose hotel in Oklahoma City's Bricktown area

I was in Rogers a few years ago for the P&G sponsored LPGA tournament. There is a LOT of money in the Pinnacle area. The promenade is VERY nice. There still a lot of land around it to be developed. Excluding the Pinnacle area, and being a dry county, the rest of Rogers pretty much looks like OKC in the early '90s. It's a way back time machine, Beaver lake is nice though.

Quote Originally Posted by EBAH View Post
    Bummer, I stay at the Crowne Plaza every time I go to Tulsa, it's the only real downtown hotel they have, and it is quite good. I'd be pretty sad to see them bite the dust.
    The Crowne Plaza won't go anywhere, if anything they will be rebranded into a different hotel. And I guess the Doubletree, Holiday Inn, Mayo, and Ambassador aren't real hotels?

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    The Crowne Plaza won't go anywhere, if anything they will be rebranded into a different hotel. And I guess the Doubletree, Holiday Inn, Mayo, and Ambassador aren't real hotels?
    Holiday Inn? Seriously?

25. Default Re: Developers propose hotel in Oklahoma City's Bricktown area

Holiday Inn? Seriously?
    Actually, BG918 rightfully called the Holiday Inn (Tulsa City Center location) a REAL hotel. We're not talking an "Express" - this is the full-service real deal. It's the newest hotel in downtown Tulsa (15-stories) and just opened. Holiday Inn Tulsa City Center

Thread Information