Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Staybridge Suites

Default Re: Developers propose hotel in Oklahoma City's Bricktown area

another hotel thats great. we need to build hotel and get a new convetion center so we can start drawing convetions to okc

2. Default Re: Developers propose hotel in Oklahoma City's Bricktown area

Well this hotel doesn't have much bearing on conventions, but you are on the right track. A new convention center is planned, along with a large attached hotel.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

adrian, we do draw conventions quite regularly to OKC. Based on other threads of yours I've read, do you get out much? We just had several large conventions and basketball tournaments over the last 3-4 weeks that brought in about 150,000 people to downtown from those events alone, not counting other events going on. Now we can't get the really large conventions because of our limited space and facilities, but that's what the new convention center is trying to overcome, to not have an excuse to get passed by the larger conventions. having another fairly small hotel in Bricktown isn't the answer, but a large convention hotel will help.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    adrian, we do draw conventions quite regularly to OKC. Based on other threads of yours I've read, do you get out much?.
    I wonder too...

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Now we can't get the really large conventions because of our limited space and facilities, but that's what the new convention center is trying to overcome, to not have an excuse to get passed by the larger conventions. having another fairly small hotel in Bricktown isn't the answer, but a large convention hotel will help.
    As someone working in Hospitality downtown, I can say for sure that there is PLENTY of demand for rooms downtown...that means room for the small and the large.

Platemaker, while true, my point was that we need a bigger CONVENTION CENTER to attract the larger conventions, not a small hotel or two in Bricktown as the answer.

6. Default Re: Developers propose hotel in Oklahoma City's Bricktown area

Any updates!?!?!

7. Default Re: Developers propose hotel in Oklahoma City's Bricktown area

Holiday Inn: dead
    Candlewood Inn: emergency room physicians were applying CPR a few weeks ago. Not sure how that turned out.
    W hotel (oops, you never heard about that one): dead
    Mystery hotel still to be announced: mom is six months pregnant, so far she is very healthy... tba

Where in Bricktown can we expect her to give birth?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Wow. Not that it matters, but how far along did this get? Where was it going to be?

10. Default Re: Developers propose hotel in Oklahoma City's Bricktown area

The birthing will be in Bricktown. The W was to be along the canal.

Interesting. Tell us more. STAT!

So, if my stethoscope is working right, i can grab my forceps and pull a guess...that this hotel will crib by the river south of the Blvd?

13. Default Re: Developers propose hotel in Oklahoma City's Bricktown area

...The W was to be along the canal.
    I know it is dead now, but did this actually have legs? I mean, more than just somebody's pipe dream?

You know, I could type up a press release, attach a quick rendering, and talk some noise about opening a Ritz =)

Just curious.

The W was to be along the canal.
    Riiiight. Where exactly along the canal? Were these "plans" created back when Lower Bricktown was still a clean slate, before the arrival of Bass Pro, Toby Keith's, and an oversupply of surface parking?

I find it very hard to believe that this was ever anything beyond the "absurd pipe dream" stage--the Bricktown canal is simply too much of a low-end suburban-esque development, certainly fitting for the likes of the Hampton Inn and Residence Inn but not at all for high-end chains like the W. (Please, feel free to prove me wrong.)

Holiday Inn: dead
    Candlewood Inn: emergency room physicians were applying CPR a few weeks ago. Not sure how that turned out.
    Mystery hotel still to be announced: mom is six months pregnant, so far she is very healthy... tba
    Yet another reason why OKC will Never get an NBA-All Star Game or a Men's NCAA Sub-Regional (sweet 16, elite 8 games)

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    I know it is dead now, but did this actually have legs? I mean, more than just somebody's pipe dream?

You know, I could type up a press release, attach a quick rendering, and talk some noise about opening a Ritz =)

Just curious.
    OKC is getting a Ritz? Awesome!!

17. Default Re: Developers propose hotel in Oklahoma City's Bricktown area

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    OKC is getting a Ritz? Awesome!!
    I heard from a friend of my next door neighbor that he was told by his cousin's best friend who knows "somebody in the know" who says they heard that it's true!

Then I found this!!!!!!!!!

Congrats Cuatrode!

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post

Just curious.
    Bob Funk already played that card.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    I heard from a friend of my next door neighbor that he was told by his cousin's best friend who knows "somebody in the know" who says they heard that it's true!

Then I found this!!!!!!!!!

Congrats Cuatrode!
    This would be even funnier if it said metro..

20. Default Re: Developers propose hotel in Oklahoma City's Bricktown area

FIXED!

Quote Originally Posted by semisimple View Post
    Riiiight. Where exactly along the canal? Were these "plans" created back when Lower Bricktown was still a clean slate, before the arrival of Bass Pro, Toby Keith's, and an oversupply of surface parking?

I find it very hard to believe that this was ever anything beyond the "absurd pipe dream" stage--the Bricktown canal is simply too much of a low-end suburban-esque development, certainly fitting for the likes of the Hampton Inn and Residence Inn but not at all for high-end chains like the W. (Please, feel free to prove me wrong.)

If it was a real project it was probably an "Aloft by W" hotel, lots of those going up around the country and they aren't so upscale and are usually pretty small. I stayed in one in downtown Dallas recently.

Aren't they putting one in Tulsa by 71st/Mingo?

I think OKC was slated to get one too, but they're typically not urban..

Yes Tulsa is getting an Aloft. OKC's was supposed to be next to The "360" later named "The 360 at Founders Tower", now known again as "Founders Tower".

As far as the Ritz Carlton as Spartan said, Bob Funk made the announcement about luring a Ritz Carlton, although I think that was a stretch from the get go.

24. Default Re: Developers propose hotel in Oklahoma City's Bricktown area

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Aren't they putting one in Tulsa by 71st/Mingo?

I think OKC was slated to get one too, but they're typically not urban..
    I have stayed at the Aloft in Plano and it was very nice. Cool. Hip. Whatever. But there's also an urban Aloft in downtown Dallas.

An Aloft (and Westin) hotels recently opened up in The Domain lifestyle center here in Austin, which is quite a bit north of downtown. Most of the Alofts that I have seen are not urban.

Thread Information