Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Bars/restaurants that are sorely missed

Default Re: Bars/restaurants that are sorely missed

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    You know with the above quote and the fact you started the thread on make out spots I may buy you a plane ticket just to meet you at Coit's Saturday.
    hahahaha!!

Since there is not a "food" thread I feel this question is apt for here.

Does anyone remember "red top" stew? I have not had any in ages. My grandfather made it and there were some local bars that served it as well as burgers and such. That was before the Herbie's Heat 'em Ups. You know? The rock hard sandwiches heated in a toaster oven? Chuck-wagon, hoagie.................
    Hamburger Kpng in Shawnee has it on there menu

Found this today while I was looking for something else. I'm ready to try it!!

Pulliam BBQ Sauce

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by twinkles View Post

Pulliam BBQ Sauce
    I think an important part of the recipe, that I remember, was keeping it in
    large bottles in the window in the sunlight. Maybe he was aging it!

I'll keep that in mind. The aging. Wonder if the BBQ sauce was more potent in the summer sun than the winter??

The only scary part is - I was a child, so I'm sure I didn't have the hot. I'm looking at the recipe, wondering if I should change it or not or just go for broke and hope for the best.

Pulliam BBQ Sauce
    Cutback or omit the Dijon Mustard and Cayenne Pepper and it should be fine. Don't think it would change the taste just reduce or eliminate the hot.

Prunepicker Guest

I'll keep that in mind. The aging. Wonder if the BBQ sauce was more potent in
    the summer sun than the winter?

The only scary part is - I was a child, so I'm sure I didn't have the hot. I'm
    looking at the recipe, wondering if I should change it or not or just go for
    broke and hope for the best.
    My experience is to always start with the original recipe and go from there.
    Otherwise, you'll never know if you like it or what, if anything, you need to do
    to make it to your liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    My experience is to always start with the original recipe and go from there.
    Otherwise, you'll never know if you like it or what, if anything, you need to do
    to make it to your liking.
    Prunes right! Use the recipe as is and test it on your inlaws and children!!

Prunes right! Use the recipe as is and test it on your inlaws and children!!

HAHA!! Good idea!! Now, if only I knew how long it needed to "steep" in the window ......

I am surprised that no one mentioned the Ritz or the Saratoga Station of the 80's. Both proved pretty good to me after my first divorce. After 15 years of marriage they were quite an eye opener to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
    I am surprised that no one mentioned the Ritz or the Saratoga Station of the 80's. Both proved pretty good to me after my first divorce. After 15 years of marriage they were quite an eye opener to me.
    How about the "Keno Club" and next door the "Keno Saloon" on S. Penn and 35th st. Then there was "Daisy May's" at 44th and S. May on the S.W. corner, it's something else now!! Maybe even the "Hilltop" on S.E. 44th or the "Red Penney" on south High. These were and are some high caliber joints!! LOL

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
    I am surprised that no one mentioned the Ritz or the Saratoga Station of the
    80's. Both proved pretty good to me after my first divorce. After 15 years of
    marriage they were quite an eye opener to me.
    The 80's aren't yet officially accredited as memories.

I have been reading this thread with interest concerning the real music **COUNTRY** and I have heard nothing of the great ones, "Cedar Palace", Nashville South, Spurs, Cowboys, Renos.......where did all of these go?

Not only was Cedar Palace the greatest "joint" in OKC in 1980 it was owned by a Redskin from the hill. Is there anyone who remembers this place?

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
    I have been reading this thread with interest concerning the real music **COUNTRY** and I have heard nothing of the great ones, "Cedar Palace", Nashville South, Spurs, Cowboys, Renos.......where did all of these go?
    Your making these names up! Aren't YOU?

Trueloves! Grand and Robinson. Two great shuffleboard tables!

No, No, No these were not beer drinking dives...these were the real OKC Honky Tonks.

No, No, No these were not beer drinking dives...these were the real OKC Honky Tonks.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All right, if you guys are trying to impress us how about the TG&Y Snackbar at 29th/S. May Ave...Take that....

You must not remember who worked there and then someones Dad that did not like me to come over there! Snack bar at 74th & Penn 2nd to none for really bad food.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    The 80's aren't yet officially accredited as memories.
    Come on PP, the 80's were 30 years ago. Three decades = 1 memory.

I always thought the Diamond and the Westerneer were the real OKC honky tonks. But I do recognize some of the names.

Yeah I remember those, no sweat bulldog some of the blue hairs dont remember these -LOL

The Horseshoe!! 29th and Kentucky. Not sure the cross street(?).

Real classy. One night a woman found her husband and another woman together in a booth. Went out to her car and she drove right into the building.

I always thought the Diamond and the Westerneer were the real OKC honky tonks. But I do recognize some of the names.
    Thanks Twinkles for memories. The Cedar Palace was really more of an after hours dance hall than a joint. We would have over 650 in there about 3:00 a.m. that were having a real good time. I have memories there that are never going to get replaced!

The Horseshoe!! 29th and Kentucky. Not sure the cross street(?).

Real classy. One night a woman found her husband and another woman together in a booth. Went out to her car and she drove right into the building.
    Not quite the same as the big dance halls of the late 70's and early 80's. But have been there a few times unwanted.

Thread Information