Widgets Magazine
Page 51 of 60 FirstFirst ... 4647484950515253545556 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1480

Thread: Classen Curve

Default Re: Classen Curve

Why go to a chain steakhouse, even as good as Ruth's Chris, when you have the fantastic local steakhouses? I agree with the need for more seafood, as that is about the only thing limited in the OKC restaurant scene (plus, maybe a good Jewish deli).

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Pretty sure Del Frisco's is coming to Chisholm Creek as well. Absolutely tons of steakhouses right now.
    That would be great. I rank Del Frisco up there with Mortons as far as consistent excellent service and meat and sides quality. When I was in Chicago a few weeks ago, I ate at the original Morton's again. Ended up leaving with the manager who had been there since it opened day one. He also owns a cigar shop and we went there to smoke a couple cigars and drink some scotch. He had some great stories of the different people coming in over the years and how Morton's had changed. Was a fantastic evening.

Not everyone is pleased with some of the proposed new development.

By Dale Denwalt
    The Journal Record

OKLAHOMA CITY – A neighbor of Classen Curve’s latest development has sued to put the project back in front of the City Council.

Robyn Assaf, an attorney who lives in the Glenbrook neighborhood near the Triangle at Classen Curve, is fighting against a commercial and residential planned unit development that will include several hundred apartments. The developer and the Oklahoma City didn’t perform the due diligence that is required, Assaf said.

In the lawsuit, Assaf claims the water, sewage and traffic infrastructure in the area cannot support adding the apartment complex, which will sit on a piece of land formerly owned by Chesapeake Energy Corp. Assaf said that when she brought up her concerns, the developers pointed to studies made when Chesapeake cleared the land.

“Studies made in regards to water flow and buildings being taken off the property are not relevant to studies required to provide information to what will transpire when buildings are put on the property,” Assaf said.

Assaf and her husband own four properties in the area, including their home. The other three parcels are duplexes, she said.

City Councilor Ed Shadid countered Assaf’s allegations, saying that the city has done its due diligence. While Shadid hasn’t seen the lawsuit and declined to comment on it, he remembers Assaf from the council meeting where the project was discussed.

Shadid said Assaf stormed out of the meeting before it was finished, and before city employees could allay her concerns. He said that the project meets requirements set in place by the city, and that there will be traffic studies to determine how the area responds to the development.

Assaf also criticized Shadid’s support of the plan.

“He wants 500 apartment units there because he wants people to ride the bus,” Assaf said. “He wants to not have enough parking because people should be encouraged to use public transport and not have cars to park.”

Shadid said that’s not accurate, although he mentioned a proposal to lower the speed limit along Grand Boulevard to discourage traffic and encourage pedestrian use of the area.

Columbus-based firm WP Glimcher is developing Classen Curve, hoping to add multi-family residences to the commercial lots already in place, such as Republic Gastropub and Whole Foods Market. Glimcher did not return several phone calls requesting comment. Oklahoma City declined to comment on the filing, and another defendant, Johnson and Associates, did not return phone calls requesting comment.

Assaf hasn’t yet asked the defendants to be served and hopes to speak with the developer before the lawsuit moves forward. She said she doesn’t want to kill the project, just make sure the rules are followed. The lawsuit, however, asks the judge to suspend any building permits issued by the city and construction by the developer.

“The regulations and codes are put in place to so we can expect uniformity and we can have assurances that due process is followed,” Assaf said.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Not everyone is pleased with some of the proposed new development.
    This was posted in the Glimcher thread.

Its frustrating that a development like this that will be far above and beyond anything currently in OKC has the potential of being derailed because of NIMBYism. These are the kind of developments needed to bring OKC more in line with its peer cities and Glimcher in particular is the one I am the most excited about. Hopefully the lawsuit gets tossed out quickly.

Classen Curve seeks to evict Winter House

Shop owner says he's waiting for cleared checks

By: Dale Denwalt The Journal Record January 11, 2016

OKLAHOMA CITY – The property manager at Classen Curve has accused an interior design and home furnishing store of falling behind on rent.

In an entry and detainer lawsuit filed last week, attorneys for OKC Classen Curve LLC allege that Winter House Interiors owes more than $51,000 in back rent since Nov. 4 and is operating under a defaulted lease. Owner Steven Winters is also named as a defendant.

When reached Monday, Winters said the payments were sent to landlord Glimcher Properties and described the conflict as a rent dispute.

“I’m waiting for the bank right now to send us the cleared checks,” Winters said. “We’re just two rent checks off, and the thing is (Glimcher) never contacted me. I just got served with papers.”

A hearing is scheduled for Wednesday, and Winters said he hopes to have the problem settled by then. The business remains open.

Winters has been at Classen Curve since 2011. The leased space includes a 9,570-square-foot area that can be used by the company.

Glimcher Properties said it notified Winter House Interiors in November and December that if the past due rent was not paid, legal action would be taken. Base rent at the Classen Curve property is $13,557.50 per month, according to documents filed alongside the lawsuit.

Winters has been in business for 27 years in the Oklahoma City area and previously was at Northpark Mall. A subsidiary company, Carwin’s Shave Shop, has operated inside Winter House Interiors since 2007.

The landlord did not respond to a phone call requesting comment.

In the lawsuit, attorney Ellen Adams asked the Oklahoma County District Court to hand over possession of the property and said the landlord may seek legal action to recover the past due rent.

Classen Curve is a cluster of high-end retailers and restaurants that sprang up near the Chesapeake Energy campus, at N. Classen and NW Grand boulevards. The development continues to grow, with plans for a 500-unit apartment complex and commercial development. A property owner in the nearby Glenbrook neighborhood has challenged the city’s approval of the apartment development, but there has been no new court activity in the case since the property owner’s lawsuit was filed in November.

Blog Entries

$1.42/sqft, is that good, bad, indifferent? I don't know anything about commercial rents... just wondering.

That's a fair amount of rent for that size and located all the way in the back of the complex.

They usually charge percentage of sales too.

HangryHippo Guest

nm

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    $1.42/sqft, is that good, bad, indifferent? I don't know anything about commercial rents... just wondering.
    Unless I'm missing something, that seems to be the cheapest rent I've ever heard of in OKC by a huge amount. Any new developments seem to be in the $20-30/sq ft range, depending on what part of town it's in. That's not including NNN.

Note that I'm no expert in commercial leading either

$20-$30 a foot for commercial space is the market rate in OKC for commercial space, but that's an annual rate. That $1.42 is monthly, plus whatever cut of profit is paid. I haven't priced retail space, but that seems high for a very low foot traffic location at the back of the complex.

Ok that makes more sense, as I didn't really read the article. So based on the numbers, we're looking at $17/sq ft, correct?

That's what I can figure.

I hope they're able to get this sorted out. It's the only store in town that stocks my shaving cream.

My issue as well. I might need to stock up on shaving cream next visit, too.

Is it really "waiting for the checks from the bank" and a rent dispute? I can get an image of any check (back and front) in 5 seconds by logging on to my bank's website, and even if you can't get that, you can see it in the transactions. Maybe commercial accounts are different, but it seems like a rent dispute for 2 months would be easy to solve in a day or two.

19. Default Re: Classen Curve

I use Carwin's Shave Shop quite often, so I would be a little upset if they went out of business.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Is it really "waiting for the checks from the bank" and a rent dispute? I can get an image of any check (back and front) in 5 seconds by logging on to my bank's website, and even if you can't get that, you can see it in the transactions. Maybe commercial accounts are different, but it seems like a rent dispute for 2 months would be easy to solve in a day or two.
    I'm not sure, but my apartment in Oklahoma City sent my account to collections in October (Moved out to Oregon in May). It took me 2 months to get it all straightened out, I had to request notarized copies of my checks from my bank and mail them to the apartment complex AND the collections agency. I had 100% on time payments during my tenancy, and paid the move out charges the same day they were billed. Then without even calling me, they sent my account to collections because they never updated their payment program for the final charges check I cut the same day they billed it.

I can totally see how this could be a drawn out process for the tenant. Commercial landlords never seem to take any responsibility for their own mistakes and instead put all of the burden on the tenant to prove everything. Keep your receipts and I now deliver all checks in person and require someone from the management company to sign, initial, and date that they received my payment.

Because of their negligence in updating their payment software, it cost me a huge dip in my credit score in October-December. Even though it is now cleared from my credit profile, the huge dip still shows up. I guess the credit scores don't update previous scores when the mistakes were made, and it is only just now starting to slowly rise from it. I went from "Good" credit (702) to a 530 overnight when it hit, now I am only back up to a 623, and it is slowly climbing again. I am still supremely upset.

/End rant

^^^ Thanks for the info, I've had 2 experiences with late rent and they both went extremely well (both were the result of my online bill-pay being late, but it was the people sending the checks/payments that screwed up, not me) - one just needed cashier's checks for the next few months (in IL), then the most recent one I just contacted the bank, they refunded the late fee my landlord charged, and the landlord knew it was the bill-payer's fault, not mine, so they were cool with it and just let it go (in OK). I was just surprised when my experience was decent both times, and theirs (and yours) is apparently so horrible for something so seemingly simple to resolve.

What's ironic is, the day they cashed the check, was the same day they marked it for collections. It then took the collections agency 5 months to report it to the credit bureaus that I was "delinquent". If the complex would have called me first, or if the collections agency would have called as soon as they got it, I likely could have avoided the whole thing. But no one called for 5 months, and I got an email from my credit card saying they noticed a significant change in my credit score (they monitor every month and give me alerts). I logged in to see I went from 702 to a 530 (!!!! WTF !!!!) Delved deeper and found I had a delinquent account in collections. could have avoided that whole thing, and now I'm screwed for the next year while I slowly build my score back up to where it was even though there's no longer that delinquent account. Very, very frustrating, as I was actually saving up some money to buy a house in OKC whenever I come back. Their mistake and lack of communication may have cost me thousands in future interest by receiving a higher interest rate on a mortgage in my future.

Now that Glimcher has almost fully leased this center, they are planning to add multi-tenant space to the grassy area in the center of the complex.

They had been working with Ruth Chris steakhouse but I believe that deal fell out (or got moved to the new construction Glimcher plans north of Whole Foods) and this is now described as multi-tenant buildings, much like the rest of the center.

24. Default Re: Classen Curve

When do they plan on starting construction?

Not sure.

No building permits filed yet.

Thread Information