Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Molly Murphy's

Jay Guest

Default Memories of Molly Murphy's

Does anybody here remember Molly Murphy's House of Fine Repute? On the inside of the Business Section of today's Oklahoman there is an article about the death of the owner.

The article mentions the fall of the Molly's was blamed on a dispute with KFOR-TV.

I really miss this place because it was a birthday tradition for all of my family. I liked the idea that they spared nobody when it came to harassment and pure embarrassment.

I remember the servers leading customers around the place chanting "He's got to go to the bathroom." and if you managed to get past the servers and make to the restroom as soon as you walked out you would here." Ladies and Gentleman we have a sneaker let's give them a round of applause". The servers were just down right hilarious and made Molly's a great place to eat.

Who could forget the1968 Jaguar salad bar. I remember when they played the old disco song "Car Wash", everyone was invited to do the car wash dance around the salad bar. This is one of those places that I will never forget. I wish it was still in business.

2. Default Re: Memories of Molly Murphy's

In the mid eighties, a group of friends said they wanted to take me to a Gentleman's club for my birthday. I never go to them anymore after witnessing a homicide in the parking lot of one. So they decided to take me to Molly Murphy's.

One of them had arrainged a special event with one of the waitresses. A lap dance. Clean, of course. I was totally surprised. I later learned the waitress was the sister of one of my friends. She had seen me and wanted to meet me. After that night, she and I dated for two years... Until I was forced by the economy to move to Dallas.

What a birthday. What a lasting gift.

3. Default Re: Memories of Molly Murphy's

There is a feature article about Molly Murphy's in the Oklahoma Gazette. Unfortunately, the article was printed some six months ago. If anyone would like to read the article, try contacting the Oklahoma Gazette and ask them to pull up a copy in the archives... if they keep the copies of course.

Proactive Volunteer Guest

Default Re: Memories of Molly Murphy's

Do you remember the California Grapes singing "Heard It Through The Grapevine" wearing extra large green Glad trash bags and white gloves?

5. Default Re: Memories of Molly Murphy's

Quote Originally Posted by Proactive Volunteer
    Do you remember the California Grapes singing "Heard It Through The Grapevine" wearing extra large green Glad trash bags and white gloves?
    Not at Molly Murphy's.

Jay Guest

http://www.newsok.com/article/142679...=business/main

Above is the link to the article I mentioned........... I don't remember the california rasins; however, I do remember the new Temptations thing they would do. They would pick volunteers from the audience in the lounge area. Then they would lipsync a Temptations song.

Keith Guest

Yes, I remember Molly Murphy's too. When my wife and I went to celebrate an anniversary, we were met at the door by a pirate. We went inside and was directed to a booth....which was real close to the Jaguar...er...I mean salad bar. We had a moose as a waiter, and it was real comical to watch all of these characters walk around.

Like oklacity75 said, it was a place to have fun and get embarrassed. It seemed there was always a "potty train" going through the restaurant.

My wife and I were sitting in the booth, when the moose stuck his head into our booth, literally. He almost couldn't get his head out.

I do remember some kind of controversy with KFOR TV, but I can't remember what it was. Whatever is was, it had such a big impact, that they had to close the restaurant.

It's sad to hear that the owner died. I sure have missed that restaurant.

8. Default Re: Memories of Molly Murphy's

I heard their fried peaches were gooooooood.

Patrick Guest

I thought I'd go ahead and post the article here. Unfortunately, the Oklahoman sometimes removes their articles from their database. This way we can refer back to it:
    --------------
    "Ex-employees, fans of Molly Murphy's mourn late owner
    By Tricia Pemberton
    Business Writer

Longtime Oklahoma City restaurateur Robert L. "Bob" Tayar died Sunday after a car accident near his home in La Quinta, Calif.
    Tayar, 72, was president of Bob Tayar Enterprises and owned and operated many restaurants in Oklahoma. Tayar's best known enterprise was perhaps Molly Murphy's House of Fine Repute on S Meridian in Oklahoma City. He ran the restaurant for 20 years.

Molly Murphy's was known for dressing its wait staff in costumes and encouraging them to insult and embarrass customers.

Tayar's career in Oklahoma ended after an incident involving KFOR-TV Channel 4. The channel accused Tayar of assaulting a reporter and cameraman and videotaped his arrest by Oklahoma City police. Tayar then filed a lawsuit against the station.

Later he sought Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection and closed Molly Murphy's, blaming the restaurant's demise on the television station's broadcast. In 2001, an Oklahoma City jury found KFOR-TV guilty of defamation against Tayar and awarded him $700,000.

After Molly Murphy's closed in 1996, Tayar moved to the Palm Springs area of California.

Oklahoma City resident Craig Alleman, 42, worked at Molly Murphy's in the '80s and said many of the former staff members are planning a reunion in the summer.

"That was probably the best job I've ever had," Alleman said. "I got to dress up as Bullwinkle Moose. I got to insult people and I got paid to do it. Where else could that happen?"

Alleman said the restaurant boomed at the same time oil was flowing freely through Oklahoma's economy. He said the restaurant was mentioned in Playboy magazine and for a while drew a national crowd.

The now-programmer for Mercury Insurance Group said he learned of Tayar's death through an e-mail Thursday afternoon.

"Say what you will about Bob, but he did bring us all together. I've got nothing by fond memories of Bob and that restaurant," Alleman said.

Alleman is in the process of setting up a Web site for former Molly Murphy's employees -- mollymurphys.com. "

xrayman Guest

Good memories of Molly Murphy's! Had a surprise birthday party there once and no way could that night ever be forgotten. Great fun. So many restaurants I think of on occasion. In the heyday of 39th street there were some good ones that won't be forgotten. Ann's Chicken Fry, if you haven't been in a while, is a city treasure. It's as much a museum as it is a restaurant.

Patrick Guest

I was just a kid when I went, but here are some memories I had. It was quite a wild place. You definitely didn't want to ask someone where the bathroom was....the waiters would make a big announcement that you had to go poddy. Or with birthdays they'd make everything into a big production. You definitely didn't want to go if you were afraid of being the center of attention. Molly Murphy's had character. I don't think there's anything quite like it in OKC today.

Oh I forgot, didn't they have a Jaguar under their salad bar? Something like that.

Cool place.

At my mother's 65 birthday, she, my brother and I all were at the bar dressed with three waitresses in big green trash bags and white gloves dancing to Heard It On The Grapevine..making fools of ourselves.

It was definitely Molly Murphy's as we visited there about 4 or 5 times a year. It was so embarrassing that I have been scared for life with the memory!
    HA!!

robinplace Guest

Well, speaking of Molly Murphy's, we are looking for all ex-employees for a huge reunion in September, 2006. Please let me know if you know of anyone that worked at Molly's so that I can get the information to them. We are hoping for a big turnout and look forward to seeing each other again. For some of us, it's been 20 years since we worked there. Your help will certainly be appreciated!

For those who haven't seen this, there is an entire website devoted to Molly's nostalgia:

http://hometown.aol.com/stoneforst/stonemain/mollys.htm

Thanks for posting this link! There has been a lot of time put into this site.

16. Default Re: Memories of Molly Murphy's

I was under the impression that Molly Murphy's was in the building that housed Johnnie's on NW Expressway until recently.

Where on S. Meridian was it?
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

It was just south of Sheplers on the same side of the street, between The Kettle and Wendys.

Not sure what is there now as the building has been torn down.

Talking In Search of Molly Murphy's Memorabilia and Characters

Well were having a reunion of all former Molly Murphy's employees Saturday Sept. 9th. And to make our reunion feel a little more "Homey" we're looking for any pieces-parts-dead cats that will make the event a little more special.

I've been told that someone out there purchased some of the booths from Molly's and has them hidden in a storage facility someplace. If only the infamous "Table 13" could talk!

If anybody knows of anything that they have and might be willing to "loan" the item for the event. Please let me know by email at reunion @ mollymurphys . com

Also, if you know of somebody who was a "Character" at Molly's during its 20 year history, please let them know about the reunion by sending them to:

http://www.mollymurphys.com

Thanks,

Craig Alleman
    aka Bullwinkle Moose (Molly Murphy's 1982-1984)

p.s. There is an imposter in Medford, Oregon! Somebody has opened a Molly's there!

19. Default Molly Murphy's

Here is an article from Steve Lackmeyer on Molly Murphy's. I sure would be excited if they reopened.

Fond memories keep restaurant a legacy | NewsOK.com

Wed April 30, 2008
    Fond memories keep restaurant a legacy

Would today's youngsters enjoy dancing around a "salad car” to the tune of "Car Wash” along with Tarzan, Hagar, Minnie Mouse, Wonder Woman and Bullwinkle? The Molly Murphy's legend certainly lives on in the hearts of former employees and customers.

By Steve Lackmeyer
    The Oklahoman

I have an agenda as I write this. I'm breaking the rules. I have an opinion. And I'm about as biased as it gets.

Yep, I'm prepared to break every professional rule there is by declaring a love for Molly Murphy's House of Fine Repute. And even though it's been gone for 11 years, I'm not ready to let go. And I don't think I'm alone either.

A wonderful new tell-all book about the restaurant's rise to national fame — and its demise at the hands of a reckless local television news crew — is now out, authored by Jeffiee Tayar, widow of the restaurant's founder, Bob Tayar.

"Whatever Happened to Molly Murphy's House of Fine Repute” is a book that brings back fond memories — for me, it was the site of my second date with my future wife.

For those who never enjoyed the restaurant — a local hot spot for 20 years — it was unlike anything around today. All of the staff dressed in the craziest outfits, acting bizarre, dancing around a salad bar built into an old Jaguar. It was a bit naughty, but not so much that you couldn't take the entire family. You just never dared to ask directions to the rest room.

The restaurant took pride in quoting a description from Playboy — that the building itself was a cross between a Russian Orthodox Church and a ranch house.

If you're not convinced that Molly's wasn't a special landmark, just visit Molly Murphy's Website of Fine Repute and watch the commercials and read the comments left by dozens of former employees and patrons. And if you're like me, you'll realize ... Molly is still alive ... she just needs a new home and some TLC.

Molly Murphy's will always be the legacy and vision of Bob Tayar, but it was the staff that kept that dream alive. And sure enough, some of them showed up in their old costumes back in December at Jeffiee Tayar's book signing at Full Circle Books at 50 Penn Place.

Visiting the Web site, I noticed a poll as to where fans would love to see the restaurant reopen. Of 748 votes cast, 41 percent chose Bricktown.

Bricktown, of course, would be thrilled to have such an attraction. The folks in Automobile Alley, MidTown and the Arts District would do flips for it as well. So what's holding back a return of this institution — one that would have a built-in customer base ready to once again enjoy a dance around the salad bar?

I asked Jeffiee Tayar this very question while she signed my book (also signing – Hagar, Bullwinkle and Larry of Arabia). There is a chance she'll allow it — but only if it is overseen by the restaurant's original manager, Hank Craft.

Well now, isn't that interesting? Hank Craft, it turns out, is with the Hal Smith Restaurant Group, which owns and operates some of the city's most popular eateries including Charlestons and Boomerang Grill.

So let's get something going. E-mail me with your own memories, and let me know if you too would embrace Molly's return.

Default Re: Molly Murphy's

That would be good, I agree Bricktown or downtown would be the place to put a destination like this, the old quasi I-40 location wouldn't be good for today's destination point. They would get TONS of business in Bricktown or downtown from conventioners and tourists alone, let alone old regulars.

Post Re: Molly Murphy's

Oh Yeah!! Took some NYC relatives there in the late 70's. They LOVED it!! Has all the makings of a "Hard Rock" cult!!

22. Default Re: Molly Murphy's

Count me in!

I am a young'un and never had the chance to go. My parents have shared with me their fond memories of the place and I wish I could still go.

If you need creative and outlandish ideas, I'm your man. Where do I sign?

23. Default Re: Molly Murphy's

People's skin is too thin for that place these days.

But I loved that joint.

Molly's run coincided with my own adolescence and young adulthood and I was there many times - even before my prom if you can believe it. Also had two good friends that worked there for quite a while.

As much as it was a part of 1970's OKC scene (and a good part of the 80's, too) it had simply run it's course as did the many similar themed restaurants of that era.

And BTW, I believe the concept and execution (right down to the menu and salad car) were lifted from The Magic Time Machine in the Dallas area, which is still operating. Perhaps Molly's came first, but I don't think so:

If the Rolling Stones can endure, why not Molly's. I'm in, and I have no fear of asking for catsup or where the potty is if the place is deemed too quiet for my tastes. Back in the day, I greatly enjoyed the Molly's in Tulsa and would welcome yet another chorus of everything old is new again

Thread Information