Thread: First Americans Museum

Default Re: American Indian Cultural Center

It can be done tastefully.
    ...this shortest straw has been pulled for you

2. Default Re: American Indian Cultural Center

I doubt it.

3. Default Re: American Indian Cultural Center

Quote Originally Posted by sgt. pepper View Post
    don't you think the American would look good on this site? looking toward downtown.
    No it just doesn't fit. The design of this museum is very reverent to their culture and the statue to me would stick out as not quite fitting in with the design.

Oklahoma leaders gather for landform dedication
    By Pamela Grady - 8/26/2008
    OKC Business

Oklahoma business leaders and tribal leaders gathered today at the Hall of the People to celebrate Oklahoma’s newest earthen architectural landform, the Central Promontory Mound located at the American Indian Cultural Center & Museum’s future site at Interstates 35 and 40, east of downtown Oklahoma City.

“It will become a center of cultural revival of native culture of this state and of this region,” Enoch Kelly Haney, principal chief of Seminole Nation of Oklahoma said. “It’s a place where we can show our culture and share our culture.”

Approximately, 42,000 truckloads of soil were used to build the 1.7-billion-lb.structural earth form. The circular earthwork feature measures 1,000 feet in diameter and ramps up to a 90-foot Promontory Peak that serves as a marker for the Summer Solstice sunset, therefore offering a view of the surrounding region.

The result is a culmination of efforts among Centennial Builders, Cardinal Engineering Inc., Sherwood Construction Col Inc. and Dr. Jim Laguros and Dr. Jerry Miller from the University of Oklahoma.

“This is another benchmark for us-the completion stage of the mound,” The Chickasaw Nation Governor Bill Anoatubby said. “The next stage-something that everybody’s going to be able to see from the highway-is the steel and the shell of the building where people will say, ‘Yes, there is a building!’”

Anoatubby also said while a lot of activity has taken place on the site during the last couple of years, “it wasn’t something people could see: Everything (is) under the ground. This whole concept of the cultural center is something that’s significant to the tribes and to Oklahoma...it’s a story of success, a story of recovery of the many challenges that we’ve had. It’s not only good for the tribes, but for the other people in the state.”

Felix Gouge, sings "Duck Dance," while standing next to George Tiger who gave a prayer during a mound dedication at the American Indian Cultural Center & Museum construction site. Photo/Mark Hancock

Glad to see this project moving along.

This will be a huge international draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Glad to see this project moving along.

This will be a huge international draw.
    Agreed. I can hardly wait to take visitors there. Are they going to plant grass on the mound, or just let it fill in naturally, I wonder? I wonder if erosion will be an issue until the vegetation fills in.

7. Default Re: American Indian Cultural Center

It's cool that there's something finished that passersby can actually see. Watch yesterday's mound festivities here.

News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | The dirt on the new Indian Cultural Center

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    Are they going to plant grass on the mound, or just let it fill in naturally, I wonder? I wonder if erosion will be an issue until the vegetation fills in.
    Funny... I drove by this morning and thought the same thing.

I'd hate for a big storm to create ditches all down the sides of it.

The American is IMO a horrendously ugly conception that I hesitate to even call art. I lived in Tulsa before moving to Norman and I was fearful that it might actually get built.

Some Tulsa Native Americans were always trying to get people interested in a cultural center there but there was never any enthusiasm from money sources.

Have you all been to the Museum of the American Indian in DC? It is fabulous.

Quote Originally Posted by Dekoung View Post

Have you all been to the Museum of the American Indian in DC? It is fabulous.
    Seriously? That's my least favorite museum in DC. My wife and Mom thinks so as well. It's also one of the worst looking ones too.

11. Default Re: American Indian Cultural Center

Agreed. I can hardly wait to take visitors there. Are they going to plant grass on the mound, or just let it fill in naturally, I wonder? I wonder if erosion will be an issue until the vegetation fills in.
    I was wondering how much fun it's going to be to MOW it!

Quote Originally Posted by Oh GAWD the Smell! View Post
    I was wondering how much fun it's going to be to MOW it!
    Haha! What they should do is seed it with native grasses that don't need to be mowed. Or buy a goat.

13. Default Re: American Indian Cultural Center

I have a Goat. It's a spiteful and angry beast that eats ponies.

/it's a car

A mountain goat on the side of that thing would certainly add effect.

I drove up to the AICC Sunday when there were no workers. Let me tell you... this thing is MASSIVE!!! You have to be next to it to really appreciate the shear volume of earth that had to be moved to create this. I'm talking in 10,000 years it will still be recognizable!

Anyway... I hiked to the top an the view there is simply amazing! It will definitely be THE postcard view of OKC. It merges the downtown skyline, OUHSC skyline, OCU, the Classen, NW skyline... and even a glimpse of Lake Hefner.

Amazing.... but I wouldn't suggest going to the top... a group of guys from the 'flooring design group' showed up as I was sneaking out... actually confused me as part of thir group for a minute... and I then made a break for it. A bit risky.

The whole thing is actually terraced all the way up (like Machu Picchu I guess). There is also a metal mesh that is embedded from the inside out to keep it from eroding. Grass appears to have already been planted on it as well.

I heard a piece on KGOU about this Monday I think. The state legislature passed a bill on the last day of the current session to ok the sale of bonds to finish the funding of this project but with the current bond market at the moment it may take a while for the bonds to be sold. ( I think that is what the piece said ). Anyway there may be another delay in funding on the project and they may be looking to the private sector to fill in the gap until the bonds are sold. I believe this was on National Native News and was described as a museum that will focus on all of the American tribes not just those in Oklahoma and I was led to believe that they may be looking at the national tribes as funding.

The visitors center was launched today.

The build-out of the museum appears to be a long time coming, based on funding. The overall vision for the center, including the commercial buildout, waterfront development and the extended trails may need to be part of a 10-year or 20-year vision plan.

The promontory mound will be seeded in. I suspect once its seeded that people will be able to go up there. With patience, it will be a wonder place. It just might take a little longer than we think. The AICCM staff is doing their best.

19. Default Re: American Indian Cultural Center

I don't think it really needs to be 20 years out. Maybe 5-8.

So the visitor's center is not the same thing as the museum?

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    I don't think it really needs to be 20 years out. Maybe 5-8.

So the visitor's center is not the same thing as the museum?
    Fraid not. I was there this morning. The Visitor's Center is simply a map kiosk, a future gift shop, small conference room and bathrooms.

21. Default Re: American Indian Cultural Center

Is it technically open then?

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    Is it technically open then?
    Well, I'm not sure. I just re-read the press release:

The next step in the process is the buildout of the "Discovery Center."

As for the Visitor Center, it says: "The Visitor Center will serve as a special reception location for visitors to the AICCM construction site, and a place to share project information until Opening Day."

So, maybe it's open, maybe it ain't? I don't know.

The AICCM is really not a museum even though it is, more of a focus on the culture and continuing education of native american activities to visitors. I did an interview with the director of the AICCM for UCO. I'd post it here, but not sure if that would break the intended use of the interview.

Updates on this?

I drove by it yesterday - looks like its just sitting there, what's the progress over the past few months?

Thread Information