Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Zoo Concerts

1. Default Re: Zoo Concerts

^^^^^^
    I was at that show, about 15 feet from stage. It was outstanding.

By the way, it was on my birthday. Left before the encore so that I could go see Neko Case at the Diamond Ballroom, which was an even better show, despite Neko being sick. The two preceding birthdays (if I recall correctly) were in-state shows by Avett Brothers. Had a nice little run of Americana birthdays.

2. Default Re: Zoo Concerts

So many great shows at the zoo over the years, especially when it was really in the mix for currently-hot acts. I think maybe the best show I ever saw there was Dire Straits in 1985. INXS in summer of '86 was also outstanding.

Default Re: Zoo Concerts

I love the venue but haven’t been interested in any acts since Phish in 2012.

4. Default Re: Zoo Concerts

I’ve been to a few (mostly nostalgia acts), but not sure I’ve been very interested in much there since the nineties, with the exception of the aforementioned Robert Plant/Allison Krause and also a 2006 Flaming Lips show which was a high point for them. It was one of the best Lips shows I’ve seen anywhere, which includes Lips shows in Central Park, upstate New York, and Red Rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    The Slayer retirement show is there Aug 16th with Anthrax, Lamb of God, Testament, and Napalm Death
    Good catch. Didn't see it on the website for some reason yesterday it is popping up now.

8/16/18 - Slayer, Lamb of God, Anthrax, Testament and Napalm Death

Also, Needtobreathe is playing on 8/11/18.

6. Default Re: Zoo Concerts

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Good catch. Didn't see it on the website for some reason yesterday it is popping up now.
    Well it's also going to be my retirement metal concert... If I survive a 6 hour concert in August heat........ I've already started hydrating for it!

7. Default Re: Zoo Concerts

Might want to lay off the bbq at least for one day if you go...

...aww, who am I kidding, hot summer days and barbecue go together like peas and carrots.

8. Default Re: Zoo Concerts

By the way, saw Slayer circa ‘14-‘15 at the just-remodeled Chevy Bricktown Event Center and it was everything I’d hoped it would be. They’re pros.

I never was a huge metal fan - always more of a new wave/alt/punk/indie fan but with huge appreciation for classic rock - but for some reason in my late forties I started caring more about the genre. I’d seen some great metal shows back in the day almost by accident (including for instance Dio because who doesn’t want to see Dio, Metallica WITH Cliff Burton, opening for Ozzy, or Scorions at ‘85 Texxas Jam because Texxas Jam), but metal wasn’t really my thing. I guess my newfound love came from getting into newish stoner rock and harder bands which were almost tributes to classic metal (Mastodon, The Sword, Baroness, Kylessa, even Wolfmother...also really got into Melvins although that’s obviously not metal).

So in the past few years I’ve tried to see as many classic metal shows as I could. Super happy to see Slayer, last year saw Iron Maiden for the first time. Later this month I’m seeing Judas Priest at BOK in Tulsa...which is almost bucket list as I’d always been a fan of theirs even when I was a soft new wave-y kid.

Anyway, sorry to sidetrack, just wanted to recommend Slayer as a live act. Also, for anyone wanting to see a show with beautifully-executed metal that isn’t stupid cookie-monster stuff, you should see Mastodon at The Criterion in May (with Primus).

9. Default Re: Zoo Concerts

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    So in the past few years I’ve tried to see as many classic metal shows as I could. Super happy to see Slayer, last year saw Iron Maiden for the first time. Later this month I’m seeing Judas Priest at BOK in Tulsa...which is almost bucket list as I’d always been a fan of theirs even when I was a soft new wave-y kid.

Anyway, sorry to sidetrack, just wanted to recommend Slayer as a live act. Also, for anyone wanting to see a show with beautifully-executed metal that isn’t stupid cookie-monster stuff, you should see Mastodon at The Criterion in May (with Primus).
    I'm mainly going to see Anthrax since they are a bucket list band for me and I'm more into Americana these days but I was a metal head for a lot of years.

Also being a bass player I'd like to go see Primus just to see Les Claypool live... I've had to untie my fingers from knots a couple of times trying to cover some of his bass lines.

10. Default Re: Zoo Concerts

Yes, excited about Primus also, but def going to that show mostly to see Mastodon again. They’re remarkable. And for the record Anthrax is also really good live; yet another metal show I saw almost by accident.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Not trying to completely revive an old thread, but I was looking on pollstar.com and noticed the upcoming shows the Zoo has going on and it is a lot more impressive that I thought it would be:

June 10 - John Fogerty and ZZ Top
    June 29 - Cody Johnson
    July 2 - Kesha
    July 8 - Paramore and Foster the People
    July 12 - 30 Seconds to Mars, Walk the Moon, KFlay and Welshly Arms
    July 20 - 3 Doors Down, Collective Soul and Soul Asylum
    July 24 - Pentatonix
    August 1 - Logic, NF and Kyle
    August 2 - 311, Offspring and Gym Class Heroes

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's a pretty impressive list, at least to me, it is.
    Man, this list just blows the hell out of the Criterion's bookings for the rest of the year (all 2 or 3 of them )!!! Not many of them are on my must-see list, but it's nice to see something there other than the same-old-crap-classic-radio-done-to-death-acts that they've kinda been known for the past few years.

Thread Information