Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 55 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Boathouse Row

Default Re: Boathouse Row Master Plan

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    @heart, the following new renderings don't show the vertical supports in the corners that you were worried about, and they also appear more transparent, like the original render.

Not trying to make a huge deal out of this but if you reread the statement on the blog, particularly under the second image, it is referring to the Post below that was originally in question, and verified that changes had been made that would be visable in renderings that were to come.

I will reserve further judgement until the renderings are released. Still this is a great project that I will be excited to see move forward and be constructed.

Oklahoma City National High Performance Center

Was looking at the pictures from Wednesday's post and noticed the banks of the river all in front of the Devon Boathouse are still all rocks! What do we have to do to get this changed?!?!

Go remove them ourselves

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Go remove them ourselves
    HaHa one rock at a time!

For those of you on Twitter, I just found out that the Boathouse Foundation has a new profile up, here:

RIVERSPORT (riversportokc) on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Yes the latest version (on top) is a very far cry from what was originally proposed:

It's so obvious the first rendering is conceptual showing no structure or detailing for the glazing system and the second showing the structure and associated glazing framing system. I don't know if it's possible or safe to build what is depicted in the first rendering. There is nothing supporting the glass at the corners or the lacy looking horizontal glazing frames............

Quote Originally Posted by architect5311 View Post
    It's so obvious the first rendering is conceptual showing no structure or detailing for the glazing system and the second showing the structure and associated glazing framing system. I don't know if it's possible or safe to build what is depicted in the first rendering. There is nothing supporting the glass at the corners or the lacy looking horizontal glazing frames............
    Maybe it is because I come more from the technical side of architecture but that is why I pretty much only do concepts that have a chance of being built. A concept that is not constructable is pretty much worthless to the client and males me look like I didn't do my job properly. I have known too many designers who throw a concept out there, get client approval then unload it on someone to figure out how to build it and it ends up requiring significant changes to be able to be built, making everyone on the design team to look bad.

They could do the cantilevers with the clear corners but would more than likely have to increase the size of the core significantly over what is shown in those renderings and more than likely the floor slabs would need to be thickened and be cast with integral beams to carry that load back to the core. I do think by the time this project gets to CD's it will have some significant structural changes, whether they can be hidden or not is yet to be seen.

I too am a licensed architect and know all too well the realities of which bluedogok is speaking. I have been fortunate to have worked with some very tallented firms that are strong on design but that are equally strong in the techinical side and working very carefully to translate the key elements of the concept through the CD's so that the budget can me maintained and the final product achieveable. Rand Elliot is also one who is used to doing a great deal with or without much in the way of budget. His design concept is doable and yes there may need to be some adjustment in how deep the floors are as well as the potentially the core as well to resist the overturning moment caused by the mass of the cantelevered floors. but the glazing system can actually be done in a way that preserves the sense of transparancy and lightness of form without the structure being visible on the exterior. If they use a structurally glazed system. (which obviously adds cost) a possibly cleaner version of this could be possible in execution. It would likely require internal columns as are already indicated but would place them closer to the corners but enough removed from them to allow the corners to remain transparent and seem to be floating, which I would argue is key in making the concept so compelling and light. virtually all of the glazing support would be inernal rather than external and all you would see from the exterior would be glazing butting up to glazing with sealant between. Then the articulation of the horizontal fins which are for aesthetic effect could be applied and seriously lightweight.

There are a multitude of possible solutions here. We will just have to wait and see how he ends up deciding to execute it.

As you say it is definitely doable with the original design intent but will more than likely require some changes and much of those could be hidden. It really all depends on the budget, given enough budget you could achieve it....of course I used to joke with the structural engineers that in their mind the most important part of the word "cantilever" was "can't".

I just want people to realize that "concept drawings" and the final design reality can be two entirely different things. The concept can still be effectively the same but executed differently and still achieve and impressive building.

I am a local strucural engineer. Looking at those cantilevers makes me cringe as well. You have to be able to transfer the large moments at the face of the core, no doubt the thin slab shown will be something more substantial than shown. I'm just as interested on how they will control deflections with supporting the curtainwall system. Not to mention the lateral system, this one is a gem. Should be fun to see how they pull it off.

And when the structural engineer cringes things get big and deep! lol! I agree with you there will be quite interesting to see it built! I am wondering if what is shown as a floor is really a thin floor slab with integral beams, or if it is a topping slab on a steel structure that has a closed panel soffit that creates the illusion of the monolithic sculptural floor element. It will be fun to watch that is for sure!

I definitely see the floor profile getting thicker, maybe trying to keep a thin profile at the curtainwall and stepped behind.

Yep it will be interesting to see how it is pulled off.

Take a look at the cantilevered canopy at Pops and how big the truss frame is over the front of the building. Maybe my sense of scale is off, but the cantilevers don't look that far off as far as length. I know they are different structural systems if the FL tower is a concrete structure, but the mechanics are the same. Look at the depth of the truss at that point where it transfers into the anchoring structure. Even at a tighter support spacing, deflections are going to be hard to control.

So even with a hidden steel structure you're dealing with the same issues. some depth has to start showing up... I looked even closer at the renderings again, the plates are multi-directional cantilevers!

I am a "friend of the river" and received this invitation the other day for those who are interested.

Join us for our next Friendfest
    "Cocktails & Construction"

Featuring a tour of the Devon Boathouse with architect Rand Elliott

Get the inside scoop on the construction of the Devon Boathouse with a hard hat site tour led by Elliott + Associates architect Rand Elliott and Oklahoma City Boathouse Foundation executive director Mike Knopp.

Meet in the tent in the parking lot across the street from the boathouse
    Thursday, April 1
    5:30-7:30 p.m.
    Cocktails & construction-themed snacks provided

RSVP so we can make sure we have enough hard hats!

nm

CCOKC, how do we contact them to RSVP?

You can email Mary Jo Hope, okcbf@okcbf.org, to RSVP for the 2012 Friends of the Oklahoma River hard hat tour. She can also give you info on how to get involved with this new group on the Oklahoma River!

Did anyone go to the boathouse tour? I so wanted to go but already had plans that night.

Yes, I went. It was very interesting but mostly it was just a tour of the Devon Boathouse which is well under construction. The foundation and the steel are well in place and we should be seeing the walls go up in the next few weeks. The other projects are in the dirt work stage. The order according to Rand (we are buds now jk) is Devon, Finish Line, OU and UCO. That is order of construction not how the buildings will be placed along the river. He also pointed out that his vision was to have all of the structures have the points or bows to be pointing towards the river as if racing for a common goal. I did not ask him specifically about the Finish Line tower and the design issues that were brought up here because I don't really care that much. Sorry to those who do. The tour was mostly concerning the Devon Boathouse anyway. This will be the building that houses the Olympic training and appears to be first rate all the way. The indoor training tanks are built into the foundation and if you go out there you can get an idea of how these will work. Sort of like one of those swimming pools that work like a treadmill. These and all of the facilities will be open to members as well as the Olympic athletes.
    Also, if you notice there is now a notch cut into the river to the east of the boathouse. There will be one of these next to each boathouse to facilitate getting the boats in and out of the water and not be in the way of the racing or utility lanes. I think that someone posted a picture of a backhoe taking out some rocks along the shoreline a while back. I believe this was a picture of this notch being built.
    There was a lot of information last night and I had never met Rand Elliot but he seemed to be very nice and answered any questions to which he knew the answer.

Did you take any pics?

No, sorry about that. I am probably the worst when it comes to taking a camera anywhere and I have to have my children to help me post anything. I may be the only person you know of that doesn't even have a cel phone.

The new Devon/OCU boathouse is really taking shape and they've broken ground on the Finish Line Tower.

I said before I thought boathouse row with the skyline in the background might become a unique and signature view of OKC... I believe that now more than ever, as you see things starting to take shape. Note the Devon Tower construction cranes in the lower left of the photo:

when the Devon tower is completed, this will be my new favorite vantage point of the skyline! nice pic Pete!Boathouse Row in The future will be OKC's largest tourist destination????????

QUESTION: When they install the permanent grandstands, are they going to be ont the south shore?? PLEASE TELL ME THEY WILL BE ON THE SOUTH SHORE!!! Could you imagine that view for vistors visiting okc for the Olympic Trials and Other huge events... Just the view alone would really make a statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Watson410 View Post
    QUESTION: When they install the permanent grandstands, are they going to be ont the south shore?? PLEASE TELL ME THEY WILL BE ON THE SOUTH SHORE!!! Could you imagine that view for vistors visiting okc for the Olympic Trials and Other huge events... Just the view alone would really make a statement.
    Agreed.. But. I think a lot of work would have to be done on the south shore to make it appealing to be there.

Thread Information