Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 55 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Boathouse Row

Default Re: Boathouse Row Master Plan

I was in the area today so I took some photos from a similar vantage point as my March pics:

Devon Boathouse

Finish Line Tower

Site overview

Enjoy!

Thanks for the photos! I can't wait til that whole stretch is filled with boathouses!! Its gonna be awesome!

I just received, by mail, a flier here at work: "SAVE THE DATE - Let the Magic Begin - 6 to 9PM - Thursday, October 7". They're calling it Blu2010 and it's the official unveiling of the Devon Boathouse to the public. Go to www.blu2010.com for more information.

Here is a recent photo from the Boathouse Foundation blog...

I really believe that when the Devon Boathouse and Finish Line Tower are complete and those utility lines are moved, this is going to be a signature view of our skyline, as you can clearly see Devon Tower rising in the background:

Anyone know how the turnout was for the weekend events at the river?

I just posted a video from the event in a new thread called "Progress on Boathouse Row" including interviews with Coach Shaun Caven, Joe Jacobi, Mike Knopp and some kayakers if you're interested!

Posted on the other thread but it seems relevant here as it is current by a few days.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boat House.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	713.1 KB 
ID:	595

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Here is a recent photo from the Boathouse Foundation blog...

I really believe that when the Devon Boathouse and Finish Line Tower are complete and those utility lines are moved, this is going to be a signature view of our skyline, as you can clearly see Devon Tower rising in the background:

^^ Could this be OKC's new skyline snapshot for news desk's and postcards etc....?When The Devon tower and all of boathouse row is completed this would be an awesome vantage point!

That skyline view will be particularly impressive at dusk, as all the boathouses, tower and even parts of the course will be lit with neon/LED.

Quote Originally Posted by okclee View Post
    Anyone know how the turnout was for the weekend events at the river?
    We were down at the river Saturday afternoon. There were spectators along the bridge (even on small pavilion on the bridge, which was interesting) and I saw a few people along the river, but there certainly weren't throngs. The weather and wind were perfect, however, so hopefully the participants enjoyed themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    We were down at the river Saturday afternoon. There were spectators along the bridge (even on small pavilion on the bridge, which was interesting) and I saw a few people along the river, but there certainly weren't throngs. The weather and wind were perfect, however, so hopefully the participants enjoyed themselves.
    I'm not familiar with how this event was organized as far as the general public is concerned. Were there areas where admission was charged or was it totally free to watch? Since we are neophytes in these kinds of events I certainly wouldn't expect throngs for now, more just curious onlookers. As the venues and events evolve I'm sure the crowds will come.

ljbab, some of the events on the river draw 20,000-30,000 although with the construction going on I'm sure it's significantly less.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    ljbab, some of the events on the river draw 20,000-30,000 although with the construction going on I'm sure it's significantly less.
    What event on the river has drawn 20,000-30,000?

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    What event on the river has drawn 20,000-30,000?
    The "Oklahoma City Nationals officials are expecting 20,000 to 30,000 spectators to make their way to the races."

Don't know if that many showed up or not, couldn't find an article stating attendance after the fact.

The Head of the Oklahoma Regatta Festival/ OGE Night Sprints staged each October drew around 50,000 for the weekend the last two times it was in the Regatta Park area near downtown. Last year the event was scaled down due to construction and staged as the Boot of the Oklahoma near the Stockyards.

The event will be back to original form in the Boathouse District October 7-10 this year and will mark the opening of the Devon Boathouse at the blu Party.

http://oklahomariverevents.org/

I went to the blu party a couple years ago. Good to know it's still going strong. I remember they had one of the hottest bartenders working that I've ever seen.

This is a really interesting article by Steve about economic opportunities along the river, but this is the sentence that caught my eye. It's hard to believe it's true, but it's very exciting to contemplate

"City officials recently revised their construction schedule for a canal extension and trails that will link Regatta Park to the Bricktown Canal and Bricktown. That job, earlier scheduled for 2018, is now set to begin next year."

Read more: http://www.newsok.com/economic-oppor...#ixzz0zyekKSBP

Call me ignorant or dumb...but how are they going to extend the canal in the middle of the I-40 construction? Are they going to build under the freeway?

20. Default Re: Boathouse Row Master Plan

The highway bridge crossing has been complete for the past couple of years. The canal section that goes through Regatta Park will be extended under that bridge and will end just short of the southern tip of the Bricktown Canal. Expect there to be some sort of series of steps and/or ramp, maybe a waterfall or water feature to create a visual tie-in between the two segments. They can not be physically connected due to a sharp grade difference...

Ah, didn't know there was a bridge there. Call me ignorant and dumb then!

So, the section of canal going under the bridge will NOT be connected to the Bricktown Canal? So this will be more like a green swimming pool under the bridge?

22. Default Re: Boathouse Row Master Plan

Green, blue, muddy brown... not sure about the color. What's your pick?

Muddy brown.... This also wouldn't connect to the Chesapeake Boathouse inlet, either? So we'll have three separate bodies of water?

24. Default Re: Boathouse Row Master Plan

skywest, the extension would be of what you're calling the Chesapeake Boathouse inlet. So, no, there will be no more bodies of water than what we see today.

Gotcha, much better than what I was envisioning when I first read this. Thanks for explaining it, I think I'm the only one who wasn't with the program here!

Thread Information