Widgets Magazine

Thread: Automobile Alley news

Default Automobile Alley news

You heard it first here again folks. Look for Block 42's Auto Alley leasing office to move out of its' space by end of next month. They will be moving to a temporary office in one of their unsold units until they finally move into a new office in the Core to Shore area (can't say where yet).

A panini restaurant will be leasing the vacated space of their current office in Automobile Alley. This is excellent news for Automobile Alley in becoming a destination point.

2. Default Re: Automobile Alley news

They plan to still have a leasing office in 10-15 years when C2S is done?

Default Re: Automobile Alley news

jbrown, honestly, it wouldn't surprise me. Let's keep in mind, the project might change. Currently he is still selling units for Block 42. Work will hopefully begin on the Flatiron by this summer and opening of it is looking at Jan. 2010. Humphrey's also purchased the Downtown Airpark and possibly other tracts (in the C2S) area. So, with this being said, he can use the same office to sell different properties. Makes good business sense to me. And by getting down their early, he'll get in at a cheaper rate, and hopefully spur some development earlier than anticipated.

4. Default Re: Automobile Alley news

So it's not just for Block 42, but all his future housing projects? That makes more sense.

I'm not 100% certain jbrown, but that is the logical choice I see in my head. I don't know why he wouldn't do that. No sense moving every 6 months to a year every time he launches a new project. If OKC continues its' momentum, I only see more projects being announced and on a quicker timescale. Be great to have one reliable location for customers.

so any news on Iquana Lounge

7. Default Re: Automobile Alley news

why doesnt he get some space in the cbd in a storefront?
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by Turanacus View Post
    so any news on Iquana Lounge
    Last time I heard Iguana Lounge got scrapped or at least won't be located where they were expected. They may be changing concepts as well. Tuck might know more than I do on this one. I talked to the guy in charge, but I'm drawing a blank.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Last time I heard Iguana Lounge got scrapped or at least won't be located where they were expected. They may be changing concepts as well. Tuck might know more than I do on this one. I talked to the guy in charge, but I'm drawing a blank.
    Iquana is still in the works, but will located "off" Broadway...just west on 9th, I have been told. I have heard many versions of the story of why they have chosen to move, but, honestly this new location worries me a little. Storefrontexposure on 9th street just doesn't have the impact of being on Broadway. I hope they do well.

I think the panini place you spoke about is actually a full blown wine bar that will offer paninis, tapas and such. This should also be a great addition to Automobile Alley.

10. Default Re: Automobile Alley news

The 9th street location has pretty good visibility from Broadway. It is "behind" the new OKC Community Foundation building, but it's actually just parking between Broadway and the building in question. That building is in poor shape, however.

Retail drives up to Auto Alley
    Oklahoman
    By Steve Lackmeyer
    Business Writer

Ask Terry Enos and Melody Harwell, and they'll say their landlord Steve Mason is a hero and urban visionary who is making retail a reality along Automobile Alley.

After all, it was Mason who backed Enos' launching of Bicycle Alley and even provided temporary space while awaiting renovation of Mason's century-old 1015 N Broadway Building. And it was Mason who agreed to become Harwell's lender to open Coffee Slingers at 1015 N Broadway after she was turned down by banks.

"He's been really awesome,” said Harwell, whose shop now adjoins Enos' bike store. "Steve is making a huge commitment here.”

New wave of development
    Mason is part of a new wave of developers who are buying up and renovating buildings along Broadway near downtown Oklahoma City. He's spent $6.6 million renovating the building — more than double the original estimate, and has had to wait months longer than first thought before he could make the building home to his company, Cardinal Engineering.
    But despite the extra costs, time and his willingness to back start-up retailers as tenants, Mason is quick to defer praise to those who began redeveloping Broadway years earlier.

He recalls neighbors Meg and Chris Salyer were taking the same risks in the early 1990s when Broadway was blighted with boarded-up buildings and weed-infested sidewalk cracks. He notes it was architect Rand Elliott who took on some of Automobile Alley's earliest and most ambitions restorations.

"We showed up when it was obvious,” Mason said. "The Rand Elliotts and the Salyers — they were here when it wasn't obvious. And we're a beneficiary of what others started.”

Mason is hoping his addition to that legacy will be ground floor retail along Broadway. When he bought the 1015 N Broadway Building and several adjoining properties, he envisioned creating a block of neighborhood retailers that would add to Automobile Alley's emergence as a complete urban neighborhood.

In addition to the coffee shop and bicycle store, Mason's block also soon will be home to a Cricket Communications store, and by June, the Iguana Mexican Grill.

It's that sort of mix, Harwell said, that has her excited about the area's future. She said she was amazed by the street life she saw Sunday — just one day after she opened for business.

"I had never seen so many people walking, biking, skateboarding and cruising downtown,” Harwell said. "It's really awesome seeing so many people down here. It's really changing.”

Broadway is ‘ready for retail'
    Enos said his first eight months in business is proof that Broadway is ready for retail.
    "The first year was much better than I expected,” Enos said. "The reception that Bicycle Alley has received has been overwhelming. I did 150 percent of what I estimated I would do the first eight months ... so I think what I've done was necessary and needed in urban Oklahoma City.”

Built in 1908, the former Pierce Arrow/Cadillac dealership at 1015 N Broadway was one of Oklahoma City's earliest car dealerships. Provided by Steve Mason

Open House
    The 1015 N Broadway Building was built in 1908 and was home to one of Broadway's original automobile dealerships. The renovation by Steve Mason, owner of Cardinal Engineering, includes re-use of original planks in the décor of his third-floor offices and a fire-door that stood between his building and the current offices of Habitat for Humanity.
    The public is invited to tour the property Thursday with an open house that will double as a fundraiser for the American Diabetes Association's Tour de Cure Ride.

A ribbon cutting will be held at 5 p.m., followed by a bicycle clothing fashion show at 6 p.m. Visitors also will be given a chance to sample items from Coffee Slingers and the Iguana Mexican Grill and learn more about Cricket Communications and Bicycle Alley.

Had run into R Painter recently and he siad Iguana was on track and looking for a June opening- fajitas & margaritas in the summer!

Not to mention the article said June, so if your personal encounter, plus Steve Lackmeyers, I'd say it's pretty viable for a June target.

just a note .. the new block 42 office will be around south 4th and walker

Coffee Slingers is OPEN come see us

The Iguana will be opening in June with all the former goodies. I am the chef, Don Duncan, that will be helping Robert Painter to get it open. I wasn't in OKC when it was open, but from how people have acted it is going to be crazy. The biggest factor in moving was the parking, we gained 45+ spaces. If you have any questions feel free to contact me and can't wait to see everyone...It's going to be a FUN party for a long while!!!

17. Default Re: Automobile Alley news

Does anyone have any information on the developers, nick preftakes and mark ruffin?

Thread Information