1. Default Re: Hometown Buffet Closing

    Quote Originally Posted by corpsman View Post
    Many, many years ago a brother of my wife and some of his friends went to Home Town for their evening meal. They were young, unmarried men who frequented buffets because it was to their economic advantage. They could make rent payments and car payments and party if the ate somewhere where they didn't have to spend a lot of cash and could fill up on food. One evening the duty manager at Home Town approached their table and informed the group that they had, indeed, eaten all they could and requested that they exit the premises when they had finished the food which they were consuming at that moment. He remained nearby to observe that there were no more trips through the buffet line and that the group left the premises upon completion of their current food portions.
    Now that was probably uncalled for...

  2. #27

    Default Re: Hometown Buffet Closing

    Hometown buffet is one of the worst food ever i have every had

  3. Default Re: Hometown Buffet Closing

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    The Kettle?
    Yeppers. The one on W Main. I rarely went to the other one. Even though the Lindsey location was usually closer to me, it was loud any time I did go.

  4. Default Re: Hometown Buffet Closing

    I miss the Kettle...

    Anyway, went by Hometown Buffet today and signs in the window stating that the location was permanently closed ...sorry for the inconvenience ... and they looked forward to seeing you soon at one of their other branded restaurant locations of Hometown, Ryan's Fire Mountain etc. Problem is, according to the Oklahoman, they don't have any locations left in the state since the last Ryan's here and in Tulsa closed in January.

    On the positive side, looks like Beverly's will be getting some business as a couple of meeting groups had signs posted letting their members know of the change in locations.

  5. #30

    Default Re: Hometown Buffet Closing

    Quote Originally Posted by corpsman View Post
    Many, many years ago a brother of my wife and some of his friends went to Home Town for their evening meal. They were young, unmarried men who frequented buffets because it was to their economic advantage. They could make rent payments and car payments and party if the ate somewhere where they didn't have to spend a lot of cash and could fill up on food. One evening the duty manager at Home Town approached their table and informed the group that they had, indeed, eaten all they could and requested that they exit the premises when they had finished the food which they were consuming at that moment. He remained nearby to observe that there were no more trips through the buffet line and that the group left the premises upon completion of their current food portions.
    My husband and his friend got kicked out of someplace (Catfish Cabin maybe?) waaaay back a long time ago when they ate too much 'all you can eat shrimp'. They left without paying and the owners let them, they were just happy to see them leave.

  6. #31

    Default Re: Hometown Buffet Closing

    So are we left with Furr's and multiple Asian buffets?

  7. #32

    Default Re: Hometown Buffet Closing

    If you choose quantity over quality, then the answer is yes.

  8. #33

    Default Re: Hometown Buffet Closing

    Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    If you choose quantity over quality, then the answer is yes.
    Well, of course. That's what buffets and cafeterias are for! Old people and poor hungry college students.

  9. Default Re: Hometown Buffet Closing

    Quote Originally Posted by OSUMom View Post
    My husband and his friend got kicked out of someplace (Catfish Cabin maybe?) waaaay back a long time ago when they ate too much 'all you can eat shrimp'. They left without paying and the owners let them, they were just happy to see them leave.
    Early 80's, some guys I worked with headed into a favorite eatery with me. It was 'all you can eat' shrimp night and we were out once again to determine just how much that might be for young men with hollow legs.

    After we sat down, someone at another table asked the server why don't you you do all you can eat shrimp anymore (news to us as that's why we came.) She looked up, pointed a toward our table of chow hounds and said 'Because of them!'

    It's a good thing daggers don't really shoot out of evil eyes, or we might of died right there in our chairs.

  10. Default Re: Hometown Buffet Closing

    I wonder if this has anything to do with the "health" craze of the last few years. Or maybe it's just that food costs so damn much these days.

  11. #36

    Default Re: Hometown Buffet Closing

    I enjoyed the buffet on 240 that had rotating displays where you had to keep walking to get a second serving...Can't remember the name of it but it was a terrible concept

  12. Default Re: Hometown Buffet Closing

    Type of food? Where was it at?

  13. #38

    Default Re: Hometown Buffet Closing

    Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    I enjoyed the buffet on 240 that had rotating displays where you had to keep walking to get a second serving...Can't remember the name of it but it was a terrible concept
    Yeah, the average customer when become exhausted chasing after their food. lol

  14. #39

    Default Re: Hometown Buffet Closing

    Was it maybe, "Mick C's"?
    Perhaps with something resembling a small trumpet as the logo?

  15. #40

    Default Re: Hometown Buffet Closing

    Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    If you choose quantity over quality, then the answer is yes.
    Well, I can't imagine eating Chinese food any other way, for lunch anyway. Unless were talking about Genghis Grill or Huhot.

  16. #41

    Default Re: Hometown Buffet Closing

    Just out of curiosity . . . Do you prefer chopsticks over forks when "dining Chinese"?
    By their very nature, chopsticks not only lend to the authenticity of the food provided, they also discourage overeating!

  17. #42

    Default Re: Hometown Buffet Closing

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Type of food? Where was it at?
    Wife is saying it was Duff's Cafeteria but that doesn't ring a bell...It was in the same place as the Hibachi Grill on 240 in between Western and Penn

  18. #43

    Default Re: Hometown Buffet Closing

    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Just out of curiosity . . . Do you prefer chopsticks over forks when "dining Chinese"?
    By their very nature, chopsticks not only lend to the authenticity of the food provided, they also discourage overeating!
    True. Lol, yeah I usually prefer forks. Luckily, Im a tall guy with a fast metabolism.

  19. Default Re: Hometown Buffet Closing

    Seems there was a Duffs and Choice in that same location years and years ago (decades?) but I don't recall rotating displays at all?? Seems the Choice lived up to its name as they served both pepsi & Coke products...other than Coits, few do that...it is exclusively one brand or the other (with Dr. Pepper sometimes sneaking in with both of them)...LOL

  20. Default Re: Hometown Buffet-1-240 and Western Closed

    Oklahoma business window shopping briefs for March 21 | News OK

    An auction will be held next week at the former Hometown Buffet, 3900 NW 63, to sell remaining fixtures, seating, tables, equipment, appliances and more to prepare the building to be demolished.
    Now if we can just get them to stop running their TV commercials in this market...

  21. Default Re: Hometown Buffet-1-240 and Western Closed

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Oklahoma business window shopping briefs for March 21 | News OK


    Now if we can just get them to stop running their TV commercials in this market...
    Suspect that building is in pretty rough shape, because I remember going there as a kid when it was "Heritage House Smorgasbord." And that had to be at least 35 years ago, because the last time I ate there was well before the time when my folks divorced (which was 1979). The place had been in operation for some time before that, so the building has to be close to 40 years old.

    Goofy way to time-mark something, I realize, but c'est la vie.

  22. Default Re: Hometown Buffet-1-240 and Western Closed

    THANK YOU! I have been trying to think of the name of the place that was there when I moved back here in the mid 80s. While the structure has been around for a while, I am sure that improvements were made along the way. Hometown was there for multiple years (if not a decade or 2). The dinning areas got a major reno when hometown went in but can't say what the kitchen areas were like).

  23. Default Re: Hometown Buffet-1-240 and Western Closed

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    THANK YOU! I have been trying to think of the name of the place that was there when I moved back here in the mid 80s. While the structure has been around for a while, I am sure that improvements were made along the way. Hometown was there for multiple years (if not a decade or 2). The dinning areas got a major reno when hometown went in but can't say what the kitchen areas were like).
    LOL glad to help

    I remember Heritage House being one of the very first places to get a self-serve soft-serve ice cream machine on their dessert bar. I'd go over and get a nice bowl of hot apple cobbler and then dunk it with the ice cream....yummm!!

    Heritage House was a really nice place. Reminds me, incidentally, of the old Underwoods buffets that were, IIRC, more country/bbq themed...there was one over north of 10th on Penn, and also one on SW 59th east of Penn...

  24. #49

    Default Re: Hometown Buffet-1-240 and Western Closed

    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    LOL glad to help

    I remember Heritage House being one of the very first places to get a self-serve soft-serve ice cream machine on their dessert bar. I'd go over and get a nice bowl of hot apple cobbler and then dunk it with the ice cream....yummm!!

    Heritage House was a really nice place. Reminds me, incidentally, of the old Underwoods buffets that were, IIRC, more country/bbq themed...there was one over north of 10th on Penn, and also one on SW 59th east of Penn...
    I use to go to that place as kid in the 80s. I remember I use to bug my parents over and over ea time we went for one of those pet rocks they use to sell up by the registers. My parents must have loved that place because we use to drive up from moore to eat almost every other weekend.

  25. Default Re: Hometown Buffet-1-240 and Western Closed

    Love me a trough, 2-3 times a year.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •