Widgets Magazine

Thread: Return to Forever returning after what seems like "forever"

Default Return to Forever returning after what seems like "forever"

After 25 years, keyboardist Chick Corea, bassist Stanley Clarke, guitarist Al Di Meola and drummer Lenny White are planning a reunion of Return to Forever for 2008. They will play between 40 and 50 dates in North America and Europe. The concerts will feature the music from their four chart-topping albums as Return to Forever. A special Return to Forever anthology featuring remixed and remastered tracks from the classic albums "Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy," "Where Have I Known You Before," "No Mystery" and "Romantic Warrior" will be released to coincide with the tour.

For anyone who doesn't know, Return to Forever was a major influence in fusion jazz in the 1970s. While Miles Davis was the premiere fusion jazz artist in the 1960's, musicians who had played with Davis's bands later carried forth the genre with groups in the 70's. One such musician, Chick Corea, formed "Return to Forever." Return to Forever ended up with jazz blended with rock --- both psychedelic rock (think early Pink Floyd or Yes) and progressive rock (think Electric Light Orchestra or RUSH.) Other 70's fusion groups you may be familiar with by name are "Jean-Luc Ponty" or "Weather Report."

I saw Stanley Clarke playing bass a couple of years ago and he was, as always, incredible. These guys are legends individually. So I can only imagine how great it will be to attend a "Return to Forever" concert with all four of them on stage once again!

2. Default Re: Return to Forever returning after what seems like "forever"

Gee, if someone throws a concert in a forest and no one hears it, does it make a sound? I would think with all the people on this board, that at least someone besides myself would be a fan of Chick Corea or Lenny White.

I've seen individual concerts from Lenny, Al, and Stanley, but never Chick.

But if you want to hear some sparkling keyboards, listen to Al Jarreau's version of "Spain" (with Chick Corea) sometime. OMG! Listen to Steve Gadd on drums and be amazed, be very amazed. I know there are drummers on here that worship the great Gadd. He spawned a whole generation of people that play like him. I've heard two note fill-ins from Gadd that made an entire song, using that great snare sound of his.

If any of you out there can get ahold of Stanley's "Journey to Love" album, then be prepared to once again, experience some of the finest Steve Gadd drumming ever played. I think I need a cigarette! ;-)

Default Re: Return to Forever returning after what seems like "forever"

I have Return to Forever in my CD collection. Good stuff. Wonder if they'll make it to Oklahoma.

Thread Information