Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Carnegie Centre

1. Default Re: Old Downtown library proposal finally here (Carnegie Centre)

I lived at the Park Harvey. I can assure you it's nearly full.

Default Re: Old Downtown library proposal finally here (Carnegie Centre)

Yeah, The Classen is definitely not "mostly empty" either. Park Harvey and The Montgomery are also two successful for-rent Tanenbaum projects. One thing that pisses me off about Tanenbaum though is that they stopped doing downtown projects and focused everything on "The Lincoln at 'Central' Park" and started marketing it as downtown. Now there are people who lease apartments there because they legitimately think they're "downtown." I even have a good friend who was in the middle of moving to Deep Deuce but after crappy customer service decided on "The Lincoln at 'Central' Park" for his "downtown apartment.

That just shows you how ridiculous the demand is for downtown apartments, and how there really is NOTHING easily available downtown. People are moving to far NE OKC (like 6000 area of Lincoln Blvd) as downtown rental overflow. How pathetic is that? And the schmucks at Gardner-Tanenbaum are cashing in on the downtown demand simply by doing another damn suburban cookie cutter apartment complex in a really bizarre area of town on the way to the burbs.

3. Default Re: Old Downtown library proposal finally here (Carnegie Centre)

Also, the Sieber has a WAITING LIST. Again, it's for rent. Starting to see a pattern, naysayers?

[QUOTE=Spartan;320871]Now there are people who lease apartments there because they legitimately think they're "downtown." I even have a good friend who was in the middle of moving to Deep Deuce but after crappy customer service decided on "The Lincoln at 'Central' Park" for his "downtown apartment./QUOTE]

Spartan, lol, I think I would wonder about a friend or anyone who moved into The Lincoln and thought they were downtown even if they were unhappy about customer service. Surely they would open their eyes and look around a little first.

It's a lot more difficult to get into a downtown rental unit than people realize. The difficulty is primarily brought on by an extremely tight market that is inflexible and saturated with demand instead of availability.

And yeah, I could have found a unit for my friend but he did it on his own which makes it more "his" apartment.. plus, they market those Lincoln apartments really well. Sometimes marketing is everything. For people who don't know every nook and cranny of downtown like a small group of us here on this forum, marketing is going to influence someone's choice more than you'd realize..

I'd be interested to see how the Legacy apts are doing. Every time I drive by there's someone strolling on the sidewalk or walking a dog, which you never used to see downtown. I'd also be interested in finding out if Deep Deuce is so packed with prospective renters that they decided they don't need customer service. Is The Aberdeen still doing well now that better options are available? 5th Avenue Apartments (the white tower overlooking the Memorial)? How are all the smaller MidTown lofts (Garage Lofts, 5th Ave Lofts, etc..) doing? And so on.. I'd bet ALL of the rental complexes downtown are just doing awesome.

6. Default Re: Old Downtown library proposal finally here (Carnegie Centre)

Empty units in the J-Park area don't last long...

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    From what I understand from talking to Judy last year on the Downtown Living Tour, they are letting owners do their own buildout. They did have one model semi/done, from the outside they don't look that nice, but the ones facing west have one of the best views in all of downtown.
    Are you talking about Carnegie? It is only 4 floors so for the most part I think the west side just looks out onto other buildings - the building is short enough that there isn't a huge "view" from any side.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    It's a lot more difficult to get into a downtown rental unit than people realize. The difficulty is primarily brought on by an extremely tight market that is inflexible and saturated with demand instead of availability.

And yeah, I could have found a unit for my friend but he did it on his own which makes it more "his" apartment.. plus, they market those Lincoln apartments really well. Sometimes marketing is everything. For people who don't know every nook and cranny of downtown like a small group of us here on this forum, marketing is going to influence someone's choice more than you'd realize..

I'd be interested to see how the Legacy apts are doing. Every time I drive by there's someone strolling on the sidewalk or walking a dog, which you never used to see downtown. I'd also be interested in finding out if Deep Deuce is so packed with prospective renters that they decided they don't need customer service. Is The Aberdeen still doing well now that better options are available? 5th Avenue Apartments (the white tower overlooking the Memorial)? How are all the smaller MidTown lofts (Garage Lofts, 5th Ave Lofts, etc..) doing? And so on.. I'd bet ALL of the rental complexes downtown are just doing awesome.
    I'm fixing to sell my DT condo, so I looked at the Aberdeen online this weekend, it didn't have very good reviews at all. I called Classen Tower and supposively, they only had one unit left for rent and it was $1900/mo and it was "going to be leased today," the guy said. He claimed they were 99% full and that one would be the 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by hipsterdoofus View Post
    Are you talking about Carnegie? It is only 4 floors so for the most part I think the west side just looks out onto other buildings - the building is short enough that there isn't a huge "view" from any side.

Yes, I've been in it, it has a cool view of the fresco's on the old FDIC building, as well you can see above the building in question, because they are short as you mentioned.

That's awesome for The Classen, which I admit, was having problems two years ago when it first came online as condo. It shows you how incredibly strong the rental market is in downtown.

I've heard nothing but bad things about The Aberdeen.

Yeah, I wish I could find a condo for sale at The Classen, and was bummed to read all the negative reviews about the Aberdeen, so much potential.

11. Default Re: Old Downtown library proposal finally here (Carnegie Centre)

5th Avenue Apartments (the white tower overlooking the Memorial)?
    Regency Tower.

(Garage Lofts, 5th Ave Lofts, etc..) doing?
    I've called these two several times over the last couple years and they never have anything immediately available.

jbrown is correct on both of those questions.

13. Default Re: Old Downtown library proposal finally here (Carnegie Centre)

Even though I am not a fan of renting, I would love to have some renting options because after looking downtown last summer at places to buy I still can't justify thier prices

Developer revives Carnegie Centre dream
    By Brianna Bailey
    Oklahoma City reporter - Contact 405-278-2847
    Posted: 07:15 PM Tuesday, September 7, 2010
    OKLAHOMA CITY – Norman developer Judy Hatfield has taken her visions of transforming the old downtown Carnegie Library on Dean A. McGee Avenue into a modern cluster of retail and office space and high-end condominiums back to the drawing board. The project stalled after the economy soured.
    Hatfield has applied for both state and federal new markets tax credits and historic preservation tax credits to help finance the project. She now plans to rejuvenate the shuttered library’s modern 1950s façade.
    New plans for the Carnegie Centre development call for a mixed-used building with historical features. The new project includes transforming the upscale condos Hatfield once envisioned into apartments with loftlike high ceilings and large open spaces.
    She’s been working with architecture firm Beck Design on an updated look for the development.
    “What we’re seeing now is there is a higher demand for rental properties,” Hatfield said.
    Hatfield also is in the process of rebidding the project and is considering new bids from three separate contractors.
    If the project gets approval for the tax credits, Hatfield hopes to begin construction in early 2011.
    Hatfield acquired the library from the city for $775,000 in 2007 and announced plans for a $10 million overhaul that included 18 condominiums with five one-bedroom units and four two-bedroom units, ranging in price from $155,000 to $750,000.
    However, the downtown housing market cooled and construction never got off the ground.
    “It’s a good project and I hope they can start work on it soon,” said Jane Jenkins, president and chief executive of Downtown OKC Inc.
    A library had stood on the site for more than 100 years, but the boxy, modern structure that now sits at the corner of Dean A. McGee and N. Robinson avenues was built in 1954. The building has been shuttered since 2004, when the Ronald J. Norick Downtown Library opened at 300 Park Ave.
    The project could qualify for historic tax credits because the property has never undergone any major exterior or interior alterations and is eligible for the National Register of Historic Places, said Harry Simms, historic preservation architect for the State Historic Preservation Office.
    “It’s an example of the modern style of architecture as it was coming into vogue in the Southwest in the first half of the 20th century,” Simms said.

I thought Gov. Henry placed a two-year halt on all state historic tax credits...obviously I'm wrong. Can someone clear that up?

I think the credits have been deferred for two years, which I would interpret to mean that the money won't be paid until after the moratorium lapses. Someone may want to jump in and correct me on that though.

Yeah, The Classen is definitely not "mostly empty" either. Park Harvey and The Montgomery are also two successful for-rent Tanenbaum projects. One thing that pisses me off about Tanenbaum though is that they stopped doing downtown projects and focused everything on "The Lincoln at 'Central' Park" and started marketing it as downtown. Now there are people who lease apartments there because they legitimately think they're "downtown." I even have a good friend who was in the middle of moving to Deep Deuce but after crappy customer service decided on "The Lincoln at 'Central' Park" for his "downtown apartment.

That just shows you how ridiculous the demand is for downtown apartments, and how there really is NOTHING easily available downtown. People are moving to far NE OKC (like 6000 area of Lincoln Blvd) as downtown rental overflow. How pathetic is that? And the schmucks at Gardner-Tanenbaum are cashing in on the downtown demand simply by doing another damn suburban cookie cutter apartment complex in a really bizarre area of town on the way to the burbs.
    The Lincoln is in a strange location but is very popular with young professionals. I know several people that live there, all in their mid 20's. Too bad it's not closer to downtown.

On a side note I went to their pool one Saturday a few weeks ago. All I can say is WOW.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    The Lincoln is in a strange location but is very popular with young professionals. I know several people that live there, all in their mid 20's. Too bad it's not closer to downtown.

On a side note I went to their pool one Saturday a few weeks ago. All I can say is WOW.
    Is that a good wow or bad wow? You should have said more than wow.

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    Is that a good wow or bad wow? You should have said more than wow.
    Good wow. I almost felt like I was at one of the pools in Vegas.

Blog Entries

I would guess that the economics worked out better at the Lincoln location as it was vacant land. We can want development downtown all we want, but it is not just demand that will drive it, it is demand from people who will pay what it costs for the developer to make comparable profit. One good thing though, as the vacant land surrounding downtown is developed, it will help drive development in the core...especially with retail.

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyCornett View Post
    I thought Gov. Henry placed a two-year halt on all state historic tax credits...obviously I'm wrong. Can someone clear that up?
    Not to quibble, but the moratorium was an agreement between Gov. Henry and the Republican leadership in the House and Senate.

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyCornett View Post
    No, it only affected projects already approved. Historic tax credits aren't awarded until a project is finished and taxes are already spent on the construction. They are guaranteed in advance from the state and backed up by banks who deal them as currency. If you decide not to award tax credits for two years, you just fall back on what you guaranteed a few years ago and which is why they were deferred, and not done away with--they'll still get them, just two years late now.

Gotcha, thanks Spartan.

I'm glad to see development happening in the core of our city but this sounds like just another upper class development for downtown housing, as if that demand exist.

Soonerguru, you really saw my question as a republican/democrat slant? ugh.

Default Re: Carnegie Centre

Is this project alive or dead?

Default Re: Carnegie Centre

Any guesses?

Thread Information