Widgets Magazine
Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City Memories

Default Re: Oklahoma City Memories

Quote Originally Posted by skyrick View Post
    Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys!
    ================================================== ========
    Weird you guys would post those, My nephew is up here from Ft. Worth and I showed him some old '78 records I had found and they were:...Jimmie Rodgers, Bill Wills, Bill Monroe and more...

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    ================================================== ========
    Weird you guys would post those, My nephew is up here from Ft. Worth and I showed him some old '78 records I had found and they were:...Jimmie Rodgers, Bill Wills, Bill Monroe and more...
    Has anyone ever been able to yodel like Jimmie?

Quote Originally Posted by corpsman View Post
    Has anyone ever been able to yodel like Jimmie?
    ================================================== =========
    Yeah:...........Wanda Jackson.....good old OKC Gal....still performing and to large crowds....

Eddie Arnold was a good yodeler, as is "Ranger Doug" of "Riders in the Sky" fame.

Yeah:...........Wanda Jackson.....good old OKC Gal....still performing and to large crowds....
    Quote Originally Posted by RealJimbo View Post
    Eddie Arnold was a good yodeler, as is "Ranger Doug" of "Riders in the Sky" fame.
    True, and so was Roy Rogers, but they are better known for something other than yodeling. Jimmie was known at least as much for yodeling as anything else.
    Isn't he also called the Mississippi Blue Yodeler?

Quote Originally Posted by corpsman View Post
    True, and so was Roy Rogers, but they are better known for something other than yodeling. Jimmie was known at least as much for yodeling as anything else.
    Isn't he also called the Mississippi Blue Yodeler?
    Sure, he was known as the MIssissippi Blue Yodeler as well as the "Singing Brakeman".

Eureka! I found it! The Black Brick was located at NW 27th & McKinley and (in 1961)owned by Janey Crain and her husband Bob, Very close to the Blue Door.http://www.okctalk.com/members/jmgra...ney-crain.html

Clipping about the Black Brick January 1961 in an article about Beatniks. Now we wonder about the Gourd, 53 Broadway Circle, and the Buddhi at 9th & Broadway.
    Last edited by JMGrad68; 04-30-2010 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Misspell first time

Quote Originally Posted by JMGrad68 View Post
    Clipping about the Black Brick January 1961 in an article about Beatniks. Now we wonder about the Gourd, 53 Broadway Circle, and the Buddhi at 9th & Broadway.
    I went to the Black Brick a few times back in the 60's. I'm not a coffee drinker at all but it seemed like a cool place at the time for those of us trying to be beatniks or hippies. With little success by me I might add.

Smile Re: Oklahoma City Memories

I have thoroughly enjoyed and have been amused at all the postings on this site----I have been reminiscing on all the places mentioned---Bixlers, Cherry's, Hollies, Dennis Donuts, Crystals, Shotgun Sams, Shakey's Pizza Parlor, Sugar Shack, Carps, Kaisers and all the many other places. I am not too familiar with the areas other than the North part of OKC---I did a juvenile program and was required to go to Mulligan Flats and was so appalled at the area and felt ashamed of all the material items I had and worried about those who lived there and also in the Flats area also. Being so young, they were rather reluctant to allow me to work in that area---but I wanted to---until I saw how it was at that time. I also worked for many years for Curtis Photography on Classen Blvd and then returned and completed my degree at Central State Collge in Edmond. . Those of you who have posted are quite a group and I have really enjoyed and have been amused with you all. You all are quite a group!!! I do want to ask if any of you all can remember a restaurant where you ordered at the table with a phone and there were little juke boxes on the table also. Seems as if it was on Lincoln??? I know it wasn't the Across the Street Restaurant for certain. Could anyone be of help??? Thanks and I look forward to reading more posts---it has been like a time machine warp!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabelle View Post
    I have thoroughly enjoyed and have been amused at all the postings on this site----I have been reminiscing on all the places mentioned---Bixlers, Cherry's, Hollies, Dennis Donuts, Crystals, Shotgun Sams, Shakey's Pizza Parlor, Sugar Shack, Carps, Kaisers and all the many other places. I am not too familiar with the areas other than the North part of OKC---I did a juvenile program and was required to go to Mulligan Flats and was so appalled at the area and felt ashamed of all the material items I had and worried about those who lived there and also in the Flats area also. Being so young, they were rather reluctant to allow me to work in that area---but I wanted to---until I saw how it was at that time. I also worked for many years for Curtis Photography on Classen Blvd and then returned and completed my degree at Central State Collge in Edmond. . Those of you who have posted are quite a group and I have really enjoyed and have been amused with you all. You all are quite a group!!! I do want to ask if any of you all can remember a restaurant where you ordered at the table with a phone and there were little juke boxes on the table also. Seems as if it was on Lincoln??? I know it wasn't the Across the Street Restaurant for certain. Could anyone be of help??? Thanks and I look forward to reading more posts---it has been like a time machine warp!!!!
    You never went to the Spot?

Curtis Photography! When I worked for TG&Y Stores, I was promoted into a management job and they sent me to Curtis for a portrait. I still remember that wooden box camera he used and wish I had one just like it. It was mounted so that the box could be tilted any direction. His photo work was great. I still have that photo.

Can't recall the restaurant you are asking about. There were many that had the telephones at the booths and many that had juke boxes at the booths but I can't recall any that had both.

Curtis Photography! When I worked for TG&Y Stores, I was promoted into a management job and they sent me to Curtis for a portrait. I still remember that wooden box camera he used and wish I had one just like it. It was mounted so that the box could be tilted any direction. His photo work was great. I still have that photo.

Can't recall the restaurant you are asking about. There were many that had the telephones at the booths and many that had juke boxes at the booths but I can't recall any that had both.
    Didn't the Sussy's on North Lincoln have those?...About 36th street???

Didn't the Sussy's on North Lincoln have those?...About 36th street???
    I don't think so. By the way, old joke: why did Sussy's keep burning down? answer: He couldn't start a flood.

Prunepicker Guest

Didn't the Sussy's on North Lincoln have those? About 36th street?
    ... and on the N.E. corner. I never went to Susy's so I don't know if they had
    phones or not. Susy's is how Jake Samara, the real owner of Sussy's, spelled
    on the first sign. Jake owned the Tempo Club. He was so tight he wouldn't
    buy a new sign and had the painter cover it with, "Susy's". That's what Jake
    told me. I have a copy of a check he wrote to me. It said, "The King's Club"
    and Susy's Restaurant. I think he owned about every dive tavern in OKC.

Yes, Jake was one of the Samara brothers.

I don't think so. By the way, old joke: why did Sussy's keep burning down? answer: He couldn't start a flood.
    Oh, that's good.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Oh, that's good.
    That was always the joke about the every 5-7 year fire at the Red Dog as well....must have been time for a remodel.

A raging Lightning Creek. Almost like today. Back a few years ago this rainfall would have equaled FLOOD!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    That was always the joke about the every 5-7 year fire at the Red Dog as well....must have been time for a remodel.
    A fire at the Red Dog was the only way to get it clean. Did you ever see the skanky women who danced there? Ick!

That was a Large Format view camera. Still in use all over the non-digital photo world, and new ones are also available. There are still a lot of us out there. I have a Medium Format Graflex. It uses sheet film approximately the same size as 120 roll film, 2 1/4 x 3 1/4. The front standard tilts up or down as you noted. LF cameras and sheet film are still available in 4x5 (most common), 5x7 and 8x10.

A fire at the Red Dog was the only way to get it clean. Did you ever see the skanky women who danced there? Ick!
    Only thing skankier than Red Dog dancers were the dancers at a string of 2 or 3 really small strip clubs a mile or so east of the Dog on the north side of 10th street. I used to deliver Miller beer there. I think/remember that one was an Outlaws MC hangout and one was the Hangmen's lair.

Ok, you are seriously ringing some bells with the jukeboxes at the tables. I remember flipping through the song choices as a kid. But for the life of me I can't remember what restaurant it was. Darn it.

I think Ann's Chicken Fry had them at one point. I vaguely remember them at some other places.

The only place that I definitely remember having them was Campisi's/Egyptian Restaurant in Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by OSUMom View Post
    Ok, you are seriously ringing some bells with the jukeboxes at the tables. I remember flipping through the song choices as a kid. But for the life of me I can't remember what restaurant it was. Darn it.
    Those table jukeboxes were really not that unusual. I remember that a number of places had those when I was young. I can't give you a specific name at this point but I think at least one was even in a bowling alley restaurant that I frequented, maybe Capitol on 29th.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Those table jukeboxes were really not that unusual. I remember that a number of places had those when I was young. I can't give you a specific name at this point but I think at least one was even in a bowling alley restaurant that I frequented, maybe Capitol on 29th.
    Garland's had them. They were common from mid-50s thru mid 60s.

Thread Information