Widgets Magazine
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 24252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City Memories

Default Re: Oklahoma City Memories

This was the first thread I ever read and responded to, too. By now it would be a looong book, but, heck, with a little editing .......... I too can hardly look at the political thread as the people who are sweethearts on HERE are complete rear ends on THERE.

Quote Originally Posted by USG'60 View Post
    This was the first thread I ever read and responded to, too. By now it would be a looong book, but, heck, with a little editing .......... I too can hardly look at the political thread as the people who are sweethearts on HERE are complete rear ends on THERE.
    I see the droppings of many surviving multiple personalities around here...fascinating...

Sounds like you knew Jake Samara, I called him Mr. Samara. I was just a kid, tho. My Grandmother worked for him.

HI, Are you talking about Sussy's Italian? I was a young girl, my Grandmother worked there, her boss was Jake Samara. They has jukeboxes on the tables.
    Dim lighting and candles on tables with cloth tablecloths , I think. Best pizza in the world !!!!!!

I graduated in 1977 from Southeast High School. I remember hanging out at skate-a-rama in junior high and walking to a little store in our neighborhood where $.25 would buy you 25 pieces of candy! I remember all thru high school we would cruise 59th street, we would eat lunch at Roy Rogers (YUMMY), Neptunes, McDonalds, A&W, Sonic and Jack in the Box and Winchell's Donuts in the morning. After football games everyone went to Crystals Pizza on SW 74th/Penn, Kips or Shotgun's Pizza. I remember my mom taking us to TG&Y for photos and I believe that is where I ordered my senior ring from. (They had everything--I guess they were the "Walmart" of the 60's-70's) I remember at 74th/Penn in 1977 at Sirlion Stockade when several were murdered inside the meat locker, then it changed to I think a Fuddruckers, but it didn't last very long. I remember the high school kids "parking" on Straka when it was nothing but a field! Does anyone remember the store on 74th/Shields? It was a couple different stores but I can't remember either one of them! I do remember when Crossroads opened and the prediction that it was going to "fall" (I guess being 2 levels!) I also remember going to Street's Dept Store at Redding shops on 44th/Western, I loved Street's clothes/shoes!!! Sure do miss those days!

I remember a big Woolco at 74th and Shields which was later a Venture store. Dunno what's there now.

Anyone remember the old spartan dept stores back in the 70s and before. There was one on nw 4th and may ave and one over off of lincoln i believe

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    Anyone remember the old spartan dept stores back in the 70s and
    before. There was one on nw 4th and may ave and one over off of
    lincoln i believe
    It's where Fox Lumber is. I don't know about the one on Lincoln.
    If I remember the history, Atlantic Mills was first. There was one on
    S.W. 29th and S. May Ave. Then came Spartan and I think they
    merged and were called Spartan-Atlantic.

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    Anyone remember the old spartan dept stores back in the 70s and before. There was one on nw 4th and may ave and one over off of lincoln i believe
    The one on Lincoln was just South of Lincoln Plaza and the structure was either remodeled or razed and is currently share by Langston University and the Oklahoma County Election Board. Wasn't there one in South OKC also?
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    It's where Fox Lumber is. I don't know about the one on Lincoln.
    If I remember the history, Atlantic Mills was first. There was one on
    S.W. 29th and S. May Ave. Then came Spartan and I think they
    merged and were called Spartan-Atlantic.
    I just noticed your reply about South OKC.
    C. T.

As a youngster my parents would shop at Spartan Atlantic. My sister's first bike came from Spartan along with out first green artificial Christmas tree. We upgraded from an aluminum pom pom. We would also shop at Gibson's. It was a great store as well. I was shopping there into my mid twenties. Would buy Christmas decorations there. I believe the Gibson's on SE 29th is now the home of Midwest Trophy. They used to have a brick wall out front with a wishing well near the entrance. The location on MacArthur is now a church. Hagee's was another great Oklahoma business that is no more.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Wasn't there one [Spartan] in South OKC also?
    C. T.
    I believe it was Spartan-Atlantic. The two merged but I'm not 100%
    sure as to which came first. I think it was Atlantic Mills.

Prunepicker Guest

How about the Mr. Charles bowling ally on S.E. 29th. I remember
    the roof caved in. Never got to go inside.

Does anyone remember the name of that little mall that was on NW Expressway and Council? I just remember it had a few stores in it and it was very small.

There were several there. One was on the NE corner of the intersection where CVS Drug is today; it was converted to the HQ and processing lab of "Glamour Shots" before being demolished to make way for CVS, Unfortunately I don't remember its name. The one on the NW corner was much larger and still exists, although its major anchor has closed its doors. Finally, there was one on Britton Road just east of Council, again still there but without many occupants...

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by silvergrove View Post
    Does anyone remember the name of that little mall that was on NW
    Expressway and Council? I just remember it had a few stores in it and
    it was very small.
    Like John Kyle said, on the N.E. corner was a small strip mall. On the
    corner of that strip was a pizza shop. Don't remember the name.
    They had a pineapple and Canadian bacon pizza that was tremendous.

Can't say that I remember the name of the center. I drive past that
    intersection almost daily and don't remember a specific name. It was
    rather upscale at the time, i.e. 1985 or so. The construction reminds
    me of the Pepper Tree shopping center, same era, between Rockwell
    and MacArthur and south side of the Expressway. Same color of brick,
    curved corners, etc...

Maybe it was that, I was only a little boy. All I remember was an outlet mall type or some sort of indoor mall in the northwest side of town. My aunt took me there a few times and she hates driving on highways so we took Rockwell north towards NW Expressway. As for location, I don't know...

This would have been late 80s or early 90s.

I know exactly what you are talking about... It was a small, enclosed mall called Outlet Mall of America that was between NW Expressway and Britton Road (actually closer to Britton) and west of Council. There was another one right off of I-35 in Moore. They both only stayed open a few years then sat empty for a long time. They were early to mid 80's.

The one off of NW Expressway is now a part of the Express Personnel campus and is an event center:

http://www.expresseventcenter.com/

Default Re: Oklahoma City Memories - just the surface

Quote Originally Posted by JMGrad68 View Post
    New at OKCTalk. I was born at St Anthony's in 1950, we lived at 1840 NE 25 and Hope's Driving Range was at the end of street on Eastern (MLK). We'd go to the Bison Theater or Pink Kitchen on 23rd, but a real treat was Triple AAA Root Beer at 13th & B'way. In 1956 we moved (white flight?) to NW 83rd, with TWO 10 for/$1 burger places at end of street on wast side of Western. Still a bar there today. We shopped at Corsin's Stop'N'Shop on Western, great fountain at Black Drug next door. Also shopped at Humpty Dumpty in Casady Sq, Puddin' Lane IGA on Britton where Johnnie's is now, Kimberlings on May & Grand (Firestone Store today) but my fave was Precure's in Britton because they had little chairs near door where kids could read comic books, even the new ones (Family Dollar now at 824 W Britton). We bought clothes at Browne Dept Store (NOT John A Brown) in Britton next to the Ritz and they had my Nichols Hills Rattlesnakes Y Jr Baseball T-Shirts. We's play the Harrison Hares, Britton Squirrels/Braves, Johnson Jaquars, Ridgeview Rams (our caps with a gold R), West Nichols Hills Wildcats, and then the new Sunset Sharks. I do remember games at Sequoyah, Fillmore, Putnam Heights but no memory of their names. Anyone have pics or names of those old Y-league teams/t-shirts? Pic of one of our teams attached, taken at our classy field at Grand Blvd Park in Nichols Hills. Alos will attach pic of Pink Kitchen as it looks today if I can. Also wanting to know if anyone remembers the address of the Black Brick. THANKS!.[
    I was just thinking about "The Brick" and wondering where that place was located myself... Since 70's retro fashions complete with bellbottom jeans, etc. are back in fashion wouldn't it be great to go visit The Black Brick? Does anyone remember all the wonderful fashions available on and around 23rd and NW Classen? I -still- wish I could replace some earrings long lost...actually found same pair at a vintage store but someone decided to change them into two baby bracelets by changing out the pierced ear portions... Alas... By the way, hubbie and I -just- came from Johnnie's on NW Brittion Rd, where IGA used to be located. Anyone recall the little 'theatre' area for children to view films? I remember when they sold paper dresses, mini length of course. Saw one of those on Antiques Roadshow, and worth some bucks. Made me feel like an antique. Also saw 'my' toy china set at an Antique store in Guthrie...that was the first time 'my' stuff was considered an antique...and that was a few years ago. Vintage...thank you very much! : - D

Yes. It was located around 48th and Lincoln. State offices and Langston University OKC is located there.

Default Re: Oklahoma City Memories - just the surface

Where was hope driving range? Please go to my post of NE Oklahoma city, and tell us all about your memories.

The Black Brick was located -- at least for a while -- at NW 27th & McKinley.

Here's an ad for Hope's from 6/8/63:

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The Black Brick was located -- at least for a while -- at NW 27th
    & McKinley.
    Was the Black Brick located elsewhere? Not that I'm aware of but
    it's possible. Every time I visited the place one of Iron Butterfly's
    first two recordings was being played through the 8 track stereo.

Most of the time I'd get the Hot Apple Cider with a cinnamon cube
    sucker in it. There was a cocanut drink, too. Liked it. I never
    could allow myself to carve my name in the table, seats or walls.
    I may have been the only customer not to have done it.

Apple cider w/ cinnamon stick was what I always had at Black Brick. Does anybody know if that is the site of the Blue Door, now?

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by boscorama View Post
    Apple cider w/ cinnamon stick was what I always had at Black Brick.
    Does anybody know if that is the site of the Blue Door, now?
    It's not. The Blue Door is farther north.

Thread Information