Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Sears or JCP who will die first?

Default Re: Sears or JCP who will die first?

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Sears is closing the Heritage Park mall store

http://www.businessinsider.com/sears...ll-list-2017-6
    That leaves the SW 44th store the last metro location, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    That leaves the SW 44th store the last metro location, correct?
    I think the one in Norman is still open, just downsized.

Isn't the one at QSM still open? I haven't been by there in a while but it was open about a year ago.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Isn't the one at QSM still open? I haven't been by there in a while but it was open about a year ago.
    C. T.
    No Sears closed their QS Store back in 2013.

There's a "Sears Hometown" in Bethany. It's basically an appliance store.

Didn't Sears open one of those next to QSM?

7. Default Re: Sears or JCP who will die first?

Nevermind... Saw the same link above...erased

8. Default Re: Sears or JCP who will die first?

I'm still amazed the Sears in Sooner Mall is still open with the auto center and all. Never see many people there.

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerman View Post
    No Sears closed their QS Store back in 2013.
    Soonerman,
    I was referring to the one between QSM and N. May and it is still open according to the sears web page. It's very small and I haven't been inside.
    C. T.

^^ The Sears store just west of QS mall is still open. As is is the store at 33rd & Broadway. I've been to both stores several times. They are basically updated versions of the old Sears catalog stores. Very personalized service, with a friendly greeting as you walk in the door. I haven't been to the 39th & Council store.

The one at 33rd and Broadway closed a few months ago. I have some Craftsmen mowers and now its getting harder to get parts. I can go to the Walnut location but always long line and only one person or two working there. Forget trying to call, they never answer the phone.

They really missed their opportunity when they bought K-Mart to rebrand as S-Mart. "Shop Smart! Shop S-Mart." Could have gotten Bruce Campbell as a spokesman. :P

I must be smoking crack then, because I was over there maybe a month ago and there were cars out front and people inside, and the sign was still on the building. Maybe they were the movers.

That's a shame. I had to drive by there after work and the sign over the doors is down, but the one on the west side of the building is still there.:I heard today also that Sears anounced the closing of 72 more stores. One of which is Heritage Park.

K mart is closing their last Oklahoma locations in Shawnee and Bartlesville.

They still have a location in Clinton, don't they?

17. Default Re: Sears or JCP who will die first?

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    They still have a location in Clinton, don't they?
    And Enid.

Gotta believe the Sears at Sequoyah-Reding (that's how I grew up remembering it) will just be gone one morning. And that intersection is going to become pretty desolate when it does, with the empty Target across the street. Have to assume Westlake Ace Hardware is just filling out their lease?

Teavana is closing down all their stores.

Here is an interesting article that goes against conventional wisdom about the direction retail is headed.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/barbara.../#3a0be5144641

I really hope its true as I personally don't like shopping online unless I have to and hope we don't end up in a society where there are no choices other than Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Here is an interesting article that goes against conventional wisdom about the direction retail is headed.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/barbara.../#3a0be5144641

I really hope its true as I personally don't like shopping online unless I have to and hope we don't end up in a society where there are no choices other than Amazon.
    I dunno about that article's analysis, but I do agree that an online-only future isn't going to happen. There are simply too many times I need to get something *right now*, and that means either a trip a mile or two down the road to WalMart or maybe a Target - and not even free, guaranteed 24 hour shipping is going to be worth the wait. Amazon bought Whole Foods for its food-specific purchasing and distribution network, not because of its brick-and-mortar stores. Shipping and selling perishables like milk and vegetables is a different ballgame than Amazon has played to now. Reality is going to be in the middle; a hybrid/mixture of old-school and new-school. There's always going to be a need for a place where I can go physically examine a product and kick its proverbial tires before I buy. And as WalMart evolves its pricing model to more closely echo other big online retailers, a better shopping reality with more options on both sides will emerge...

This thread reminded me of a recent experience I had with Sears. I purchased a fancy Craftsman digital tire gauge to replace my old one that got stolen from Sears' website, and since the Sears in Norman had several in stock, I selected the "Pick up in-store" option, checked out as a guest, got my confirmation e-mail, and everything looked good. The next morning, I got an e-mail saying my order was ready for pickup, so after work I headed down to pick it up. Found my way back to the order pick up area, passing by the shelf that held several of the item I ordered, walked up to the kiosk, and that's where my problems began.

Using the kiosk, I scanned the Salescheck barcode from the "ready for pickup" e-mail, and after a moment, the kiosk told me it couldn't find my order. I then tried to manually enter my salescheck number, and got the same response. I verified I was at the right store, as the store's address was in the e-mail, and sure enough I was. I called for assistance, and after a moment an employee appeared from the back, that after trying to manually enter my salescheck number into the kiosk himself, told me that my order could not be picked up there; it had to be picked up from the Auto Center instead. Confusing, but not too big of a deal, since it's only a few steps away in the same building.... except the Auto Center doesn't keep the same hours as the rest of the store anymore and they closed right when I got off work. I went and talked to a nearby cashier, who said there was pretty much nothing he could do, since even though the Auto Center is inside the building, their inventory and systems are apparently separate from the rest of the store. I then asked, since the item I ordered is openly available on a shelf, could I go get that item and have him sell it to me for the online price? Apparently, despite separate systems, that can be done just fine - and so that's exactly what I did, after a lengthy wait for a manager to approve the price override.

Great, now I have my item for the right price, but my online order is still outstanding and I need to cancel it. Guess what other system can't find my order? Sears.com, where I ordered it in the first place. Not even kidding. The whole experience has been absolutely infuriating, and absolutely the worst experience I've ever had with Sears.

The Stillwater JCPenney store is starting to get close to being sold out. I think it closes Sunday.

Somehow, the bullet is dodged again.

http://kfor.com/2017/11/03/these-45-...bout-to-close/

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    Somehow, the bullet is dodged again.

http://kfor.com/2017/11/03/these-45-...bout-to-close/
    The only Sears left in the metro is that one on the south side at 44th and Western, correct? Even if it's the only Sears left in OKC, I can't see how it does much business.

Thread Information