Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Maywood Apartments Phase II

Default Re: Maywood Apartments Phase II

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I believe those are ancient gas/service station buildings from the very early days of automobiling. Possibly Phillips 66? There have been a few other examples of these buildings around town - often disguised within building ad-ons - but the last ones are disappearing quickly.
    I am curious if the old tanks or anything else dangerous could be underground that they might have to dig out to attach to it.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    This IS totally awesome, and as others have said I hope other developers can implement adaptive integration/re-use into their developments. That is a cute little house, so good to see it preserved.
    Yeah, it raises the bar very high, especially when it comes to prime frontage such as along Walnut.

Saw an earth mover parked on this lot yesterday and it looks like that steel landscaping building has been mostly gutted for demo.

Metal building is almost all down.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Metal building is almost all down.
    Just saw that his morning. I wonder where they'll stage materials.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadanth View Post
    Just saw that his morning. I wonder where they'll stage materials.

Most likely the same place they held materials for the Phase #1. East of the pump station.

I think it is no coincedence that Phase #1 is almost complete while Phase #2 is about to get rocking.

The metal building on this property has been scraped:

This area is on its way to seeing residential density probably never before seen in this state...

Pete, the article at the top says 4 floors. But the drawings show 6?

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Pete, the article at the top says 4 floors. But the drawings show 6?
    Probably four floors of apartments plus two floors for parking/retail.

Application today for $15.1 million building permit for this project.

And the building permit was for 7 floors. Lol now I am thoroughly confused. Good to see this moving forward anyways.

And the building permit was for 7 floors. Lol now I am thoroughly confused. Good to see this moving forward anyways.
    1 underground parking, 2 above ground parking, 4 levels of housing = 7.

^

Gotcha. Thanks Pete.

15. Default Re: Maywood Apartments Phase II

Man, that will be an imposing structure.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Man, that will be an imposing structure.
    Going to work in concert with Aloft to expand the skyline to the east and to give Deep Deuce some prominence in the downtown urban fabric.

Now we just need south Midtown to get several 8 to 12 story developments and OKC coming from all angles (except eastbound I-40) will look incredibly dense.

Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Is it me or is there just a different vibe driving by downtown these days? Especially from the interstates, OKC looks like a CITY now. The taller buildings in the CBD flow nicely to Aloft and the other infill that's being built. Amazing progress for this little city!

This area is on its way to seeing residential density probably never before seen in this state...
    Well... at least in the last 60 years. At one time OKC had 100,000 people living in close proximity to downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Well... at least in the last 60 years. At one time OKC had 100,000 people living in close proximity to downtown.
    Density... We're talking several thousand people in just a 5 block by 5 block area. I don't think downtown of the former years had a 5 block area this dense with residential population.

I hope Doug doesn't mind, but here is Deep Deuce back in the day. Granted they didn't have 3 story apartment building but the individual living units were less than 1/2 the size as they are today. Whole families lived in 600 sq. feet. Anyhow, it would be interesting to know the density of Deep Deuce after all these units are built. This highest density census tract in OKC right now is out by N. May and 122 at 8.611.6 ppl/sq mile.

Vintage Oklahoma City - Deep Deuce Aerials

On edit, sorry, the highest is actually Midtown at 9,645 ppl/sq mile. N. May is #2.

When deep deuce is filled out, it will be more dense than that. I see single family homes on the site of Level and Maywood lofts. dd will soon be filled with entire blocks of 4-5 story apartments. That's more dense than anything in that picture.

When deep deuce is filled out, it will be more dense than that. I see single family homes on the site of Level and Maywood lofts. dd will soon be filled with entire blocks of 4-5 story apartments. That's more dense than anything in that picture.
    Kind of makes you wonder how long the Deep Deuce Apartments will be around doesn't it. When they were built everyone raved about how dense they were, but now they look like a lot of wasted space. Level did in 1 block what took DDA 5 blocks.

Blog Entries

I was under the impression much of the "wasted" space was due to easements and OCURA owned land and such...

Compared to Maywood II they are wasting both vertical space (2/3 story vs. 4/5 story) and a lot of surface parking behind the buildings. Not to detract any further from the thread but the transition from DDA to Maywood II mirrors the transit downtown is seeing in general. As land becomes in short supply the only solution is to go up or expand the walkable area being developed (which is where the streetcar comes in).

Thread Information