Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: President Trump on the Economy

Default Re: President Trump on the Economy

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Please explain the relevance of your post. Who are "they"? What stories? What is "sad"?
    Because all politicians lie. Because you point out one that lies, it's not as if I have a truthful alternative. I mean really, it looks like my choices are Trump, Warren, Harris or Booker. oy vey!

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    Eric's pathological defense of Trump?
    Class act. You are a spitting image of Trump, yet you don't even know it. That right there would be funny if it weren't so sad.

And if you could read, you would actually notice that I hardly ever defend Trump so much as point out your absurdities and out and out lies.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Because all politicians lie. Because you point out one that lies, it's not as if I have a truthful alternative. I mean really, it looks like my choices are Trump, Warren, Harris or Booker. oy vey!
    False equivlance. You know better than that. That's like comparing a capital murderer to a litter bug and saying they are all criminals. If you lump Warren in with Trump that is the saddest post in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    False equivlance. You know better than that. That's like comparing a capital murderer to a litter bug and saying they are all criminals. If you lump Warren in with Trump that is the saddest post in the thread.
    It's like voting for a rapist or a murderer in my book in terms of lying. they are both quite prolific, and have used for personal gain as well. One just isn't quite as good at fooling.

Now if Ghandi were running or something, then maybe there would be a false equivilancy there. Otherwise it is just varying degrees of lying, which ain't all that different in my book.

Class act. You are a spitting image of Trump, yet you don't even know it. That right there would be funny if it weren't so sad.

And if you could read, you would actually notice that I hardly ever defend Trump so much as point out your absurdities and out and out lies.
    You seem triggered. I'm afraid I've insulted your feels for mushroom ***** too much.

Sad.

You seem triggered. I'm afraid I've insulted your feels for mushroom ***** too much.

Sad.
    Just trying to do you a favor that's all.

Just trying to do you a favor that's all.

Here's a favor from me to you.

Stop supporting criminals because they are politicians that support your radical ideals, especially ones that rape and sexually assault women. It's abhorrent.

Here's a favor from me to you.

Stop supporting criminals because they are politicians that support your radical ideals, especially ones that rape and sexually assault women. It's abhorrent.
    By supporting I assume you mean not ignoring the norms and laws of society in order to remove them from office even though they've done nothing to warrant it, all the while ignoring the people that are trying to get to that end, while trampling all over our laws. Or to impugn a reputation on nothing more than an accusation.

Look I understand it is "abhorrent" to have to protect people that do things that are not good. But we have laws in this country. It's basically the entire underpinning of our society. I'm just not quite ready to throw that all by the wayside, because swake is offended. Sorry.

Clean your own house first while you are at it. Didn't you "support" Clinton?

Like I said earlier, there is no alternative choice. So essnetially you have to just pick somebody with terrible personal traits based off of something.

9. Default Re: President Trump on the Economy

... But we have laws in this country. It's basically the entire underpinning of our society. ...
    Tell that to the Cheeto Administration and all his flunkies...

I didn't want o start a new thread for this one. I have been saying this for years after having a short exposure to city government and budgeting.

In case you aren't all familiar, there is a use or lose it kind of mentality around budgeting. For example, if the parks department budgets 250,000 for chemicals in 2017, and then when 2018 budgeting time comes up they have only spent 150k, often the budget will be more in line with what htey actually spent. So it will be 100k lower than the year before. Now, one would say this is great. The Parks department saved money and and the budget will be cut the following year. However, in reality the weather patterns that year dictated less of a need for Chemicals. Odds are the following year they will need roughly what they budgeted for in 17. So, what often happens is that spending ramps up right before budget time so that any categories where they were way under budget on get "caught up" so that hey can get the necessary amounts budgeted in the following year. This is pretty pervasive throughout every level of government. From the article I link below:

Our auditors at OpenTheBooks.com found that roughly one out of every nine dollars in federal contracts disclosed by the executive and military agencies in FY2017 was spent during last week of the fiscal year – from Sept. 24-30. Eight departments – including the Defense, Health and Human Services, Veterans Affairs, Homeland Security, State, Justice, International Aid, and even the General Services Administration – each spent over $1 billion.
    As I said, this is extremely common and I'm not even pointing fingers at a side or anything. The incentives to spend the money are just too logical, so the process needs to change.

Let's End Washington's Use-It-or-Lose-It Spending Culture By Tom Coburn & Adam Andrzejewski @ Real Clear Politics

Also happy to see that Coburn is well enough to be writing. I fear he may have been one of the last Senators that was truly respected by those on both sides of the aisles.

Executives are selling off their company's stock at a record pace @ CBS MoneyWatch

Wonder what will happen in the next two months, as it relates to politics that is. After that, there is a lot that could happen before 2020.

Executives are selling off their company's stock at a record pace @ CBS MoneyWatch

Wonder what will happen in the next two months, as it relates to politics that is. After that, there is a lot that could happen before 2020.
    "Stock buybacks have seemed to be the main use of the corporate tax savings this year. Acquisitions haven't been particularly high, and we're not seeing much wage growth," Santschi added.
    but Trump said it would trickle down....

We are definitely closer to a US recession than anybody wants to admit. My bet is on the second half of 2019.

The unfortunate thing is this one is entirely self-inflicted. If not for the unintended consequences of the tax cuts, the rollbacks of the safeguards put into place after the 2008 crash, and the trade war, there wouldn't be much to worry about. It will be interesting to see how low Trump's approval rating goes when the US economy is shedding 500,000 jobs per month. My guess is Democrats, providing they take control of at least one house of Congress this November, will be blamed.

Stock buybacks happen for many reasons. They can be done for selfish reasons and they can be done for reasons that make the financial statements more robust and strong. If there are less shares outstanding, the company has to pay out less in dividends, for example. That's smart management. Stock buybacks rarely have to do with politics unless there are some out there that think the Democrats are going to take the Senate, the House and, somehow, the Presidency.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    We are definitely closer to a US recession than anybody wants to admit. My bet is on the second half of 2019.

The unfortunate thing is this one is entirely self-inflicted. If not for the unintended consequences of the tax cuts, the rollbacks of the safeguards put into place after the 2008 crash, and the trade war, there wouldn't be much to worry about. It will be interesting to see how low Trump's approval rating goes when the US economy is shedding 500,000 jobs per month. My guess is Democrats, providing they take control of at least one house of Congress this November, will be blamed.
    Recession is simply defined as 3 straight months of an economy that is slower than the previous month. This is a relative situation because you have an economy that is smoking right now. The Fed raises interest rates to try to stabilize the economy, which includes slowing down growth when it is feared to be too strong. At this point, there is absolutely zero that would indicate a slowdown of the type you are describing. Even with the tariffs, only a slow moderation would necessarily take place. Otherwise, you're just hoping it happens since that is clearly Trump's bragging point.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Recession is simply defined as 3 straight months of an economy that is slower than the previous month.
    No, that's not the definition. A recession is at least two consecutive quarters where GDP shrinks.

Ford Prepares for Mass Layoffs After Losing $1 Billion to Trump's Trade Tariffs, Report Says

http://fortune.com/2018/10/09/ford-s...trade-tariffs/

Dang. My portfolio took a beating these past few days. YOWZERS.

What's the plan?!

I know!! Blame the Fed Chairmen that I appointed after choosing him over Yellen 11 months ago! The Fed's going crazy! They're trying to normalize monetary policy! How dare them!

Quote Originally Posted by pw405 View Post

What's the plan?!

I know!! Blame the Fed Chairmen that I appointed after choosing him over Yellen 11 months ago! The Fed's going crazy! They're trying to normalize monetary policy! How dare them!
    Fingers crossed we don't have a black Friday tomorrow. It's coming.

What's the plan?!

Trump is guilty of playing the same economic kick the can game that his predecessors have played. Fords troubles are only partly to blame to tariffs. Auto sales weakness is one of the early signs of a recession.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Stock buybacks happen for many reasons. They can be done for selfish reasons and they can be done for reasons that make the financial statements more robust and strong. If there are less shares outstanding, the company has to pay out less in dividends, for example. That's smart management. Stock buybacks rarely have to do with politics unless there are some out there that think the Democrats are going to take the Senate, the House and, somehow, the Presidency.
    If not political reasons, then for economic reasons. It should be quite concerning what they are seeing down the road when execs are selling off their stock at a record pace.

Blog Entries

What's the plan?!

If you're investing for the long term, like for retirement, it's best to leave it alone. I've left $5000 alone since 1995 in a stock mutual fund and now it's worth around $50,000. Yet, made a big mistake in managing it by never making additions to it.

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    Fingers crossed we don't have a black Friday tomorrow. It's coming.
    When despair is all you have to sell.

We have had a bull market for 6 to 8 years now. Some people havenít been adults long enough to know those doesnít last forever.

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    We have had a bull market for 6 to 8 years now. Some people havenít been adults long enough to know those doesnít last forever.
    And some are actively preying it happens close enough to an election that they can win political points off of it.

Thread Information