Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 135 FirstFirst 12345678954104 ... LastLast

Thread: BOK Park Plaza

Default Re: 499 Sheridan

Today was just an informal presentation and I doubt much of anything new came to light.

However, they have submitted their full application for demo and design plans for the January DDRC meeting and are hoping to receive all necessary approvals then and move forward pretty rapidly.

^
    Having said that, I'm most interested in what Preservation Oklahoma had to say today. I'm pretty sure they were at the meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    The retail spaces in the garages were clearly an afterthought. At 20' deep, they are barely large enough for pop-up shops.
    Ya, a pretty weak attempt at putting retail on the ground floor. Does nothing to bring life and vitality to the street.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    I wonder if it's just not feasible to build new high rises in Oklahoma City without making rest of the block a parking garage? If it really isn't, we're going to have a really ugly downtown in 20 years.
    Very true. No one wants to live or hangout in a sea of parking garages. People need to get more creative or the city should put in some kind of standards on design and to limit the amount of garages in a particular area. Good thing that there appears to be some momentum in Film Row (assuming more building dont get demo-ed for garages) because I cant imagine it will be all that nice to live in the proposed Clayco housing tower. Other than living in a shiny highrise, it doesnt seem like it will be all that pleasant in these couple of blocks, especially in the evening.

And I still dont get the "crank" thing. Just build to the street, this is downtown.

One sort-of positive...the city may have a new district they can promote. Garagetown!

HangryHippo Guest

I'll be extremely disappointed if the DDRC doesn't strongly consider KayneMo's design. I don't understand why we can't preserve the old on this block while building new within that context? I guess it just makes too much damn sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Hemingstein View Post
    I'll be extremely disappointed if the DDRC doesn't strongly consider KayneMo's design. I don't understand why we can't preserve the old on this block while building new within that context? I guess it just makes too much damn sense.
    Prepare yourself then.

433 foot building- yawn. Are we really incapable of building antother building over 500 feet? Let's level the block and forget about everything else and put up an average looking at best mid rise that looks like it should be in the suburbs of most cities and 2 parking garages. Meanwhile the Devon still stands out like a misplaced middle finger. Nice job in once again deleting history for a 27 foot mid rise.

Quote Originally Posted by soondoc View Post
    433 foot building- yawn. Are we really incapable of building antother building over 500 feet? Let's level the block and forget about everything else and put up an average looking at best mid rise that looks like it should be in the suburbs of most cities and 2 parking garages. Meanwhile the Devon still stands out like a misplaced middle finger. Nice job in once again deleting history for a 27 foot mid rise.
    Location aside, they are building what they need. What they need just happens to be 433 ft worth of office space.

I believe we will get some taller buildings announced soon. Let just let these get built, let downtown get more dense, than I think we will see taller action. Possibly 3-5 years. I agree though, this building should be taller.

While I don't like the demos that will be needed, your obsession over height has stopped being funny and started becoming annoying. They are building a fairly nice building that is largely in line with what you would find in markets OKC's size. Does 67 feet bother you that much? Seriously let it go.

You are convinced that OKC is such a laggard here, but I'll just say if this structure was being built in other cities, it would be the 4th tallest in Nashville, 5th tallest in KC and STL, and 6th tallest in Austin. All of these markets are quite a bit bigger than OKC FWIW.

If it matters this much to you, you are free to go raise capital and go build a 500 foot building yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    while i don't like the demos that will be needed, your obsession over height has stopped being funny and started becoming annoying. They are building a fairly nice building that is largely in line with what you would find in markets okc's size. Does 67 feet bother you that much? Seriously let it go.

You are convinced that okc is such a laggard here, but i'll just say if this structure was being built in other cities, it would be the 4th tallest in nashville, 5th tallest in kc and stl, and 6th tallest in austin. All of these markets are quite a bit bigger than okc fwiw.

If it matters this much to you, you are free to go raise capital and go build a 500 foot building yourself.
    standing ovation

So, you don't think they will need more than a few floors as fast as they are growing? What will they do in a few more years, go out and build a 10-12 story building and start all over because they perhaps shorted themselves on this one. This project, this block simply demands so much more than what is being delivered. It's almost a disgrace and slap in the face to the city and the people of OKC to do this. This building could be put anywhere else in downtown and it would be fine. To do what they are doing here is very much like the proposed Rainey project that was originally planned that we all hated.

So, you don't think they will need more than a few floors as fast as they are growing? What will they do in a few more years, go out and build a 10-12 story building and start all over because they perhaps shorted themselves on this one. This project, this block simply demands so much more than what is being delivered. It's almost a disgrace and slap in the face to the city and the people of OKC to do this. This building could be put anywhere else in downtown and it would be fine. To do what they are doing here is very much like the proposed Rainey project that was originally planned that we all hated.
    that was never the plan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT WAS ONLY CONCEPTUAL!

While I don't like the demos that will be needed, your obsession over height has stopped being funny and started becoming annoying. They are building a fairly nice building that is largely in line with what you would find in markets OKC's size. Does 67 feet bother you that much? Seriously let it go.

You are convinced that OKC is such a laggard here, but I'll just say if this structure was being built in other cities, it would be the 4th tallest in Nashville, 5th tallest in KC and STL, and 6th tallest in Austin. All of these markets are quite a bit bigger than OKC FWIW.

In Stl they have a limit in size because of the Arch. Don't think they can build anything new over 500 ft. But,even if they added a 100 ft crown of some sort with a time & temp sign it would be better than 433 ft. That is simply not tall enough right next door to Devon. I know there's nothing we can do about it but it sure seems like someone is making a huge blunder by not building it taller. If they were building in another area then no prob. It's just at that location it's gonna look tiny. Watch and see.

Listen, you wish that this tower was taller. We all wish that you'd just let it go. Looks like none of us are gonna get any wishes come true.

You seriously just keep posting the same thing over & over again. This tower was obviously built to be a side piece to King Devon Tower, there is no way there are going to make it taller. Get over it.

This may have been mentioned, but this building reminds me of the new 7 World Trade Center in Lower Manhattan. It's boxy and on a slight angle, but I like it.

16. Default Re: 499 Sheridan

At this point, you are beating the dead horse into pulp. If you really think that the Devon is gonna look like the "middle finger" after this is all said and done, then I suggest you try sitting at the intersection of I-40 & Western, headed north. That view ALREADY looks like the middle finger you dread so badly, but after these proposed towers I don't see how one could perceive that image at all. Unless 10 high rises and one skyscraper looks like a middle finger to you... but you've made it pretty clear that's about all you gather from our future skyline. ;P

Here's a fun note: Devon at 844' not only sticks out in our city, but it would in most cities. Devon would be the 15th tallest complete building in NYC at the current moment and tied for 12th in Chicago. These giant cities have hundreds, if not thousands, of structures that are above 5 stories, yet Devon would still be in top 20 in each. Swap out Chicago and NYC for a middle-sized metro like us and you start to see how rare a tower like Devon is for a city our size. So in context to Devon, OF COURSE these new towers are "short", but if we would stop obsessing over Devon's height then you might see these towers for what they really are; 5 great highrises [according to factual information and not opinion] designed by world-renowned architects that will make GREAT additions to extend our skyline and add density.

I am actually very pleased with this development, retail aside (& the loss of Hotel Black *tear*]. I wonder how many people even know of the Lever House in Manhattan? Very lovely and minimalist building that still shines among the thousands of similarly-sized structures in NYC. It makes me appreciate the design of 499 more than I would have without the context. I also will remain optimistic as to the fate of the retail spaces. I am REALLY hoping that we can encourage the developer and the city to at least ensure the retail is done correctly and not some half-assed display boxes like Devon's parking garage. Which if I remember correctly, we were told those spaces would be available for lease at some point in the future. Me thinks we got tricked pretty good in believing that; Fool us once, shame on you. Fool us twice, shame on us.

We should definitely be proactive with the small details, as that is where we have the most chance of impacting this project in a positive way that can benefit the workers, residents, and visitors. I think the retail and parking garages are where we should focus constructive criticism.

17. Default Re: 499 Sheridan

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    that was never the plan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT WAS ONLY CONCEPTUAL!
    Okay, my turn: *Like*

18. Default Re: 499 Sheridan

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^
    Having said that, I'm most interested in what Preservation Oklahoma had to say today. I'm pretty sure they were at the meeting.
    Don't hold your breath. It's not like they have any influence whatsoever when it comes to preservation. IIRC, they got put in their place during the Sandridge debacle. It's unlikely they will say a word against this.

Blog Entries

Can you post contents of the article?

21. Default Re: 499 Sheridan

Seriously, this is beginning to border on trolling. 144 posts on this board and I will bet 130 or more of them have either been complaints about the heights of various proposals or defending said posts. Find some other topics to post about, engage with the community here and demonstrate that you're actually interested in adding to the discussion/city in some way. PLEASE.

Quote Originally Posted by Architect2010 View Post
    At this point, you are beating the dead horse into pulp. If you really think that the Devon is gonna look like the "middle finger" after this is all said and done, then I suggest you try sitting at the intersection of I-40 & Western, headed north. That view ALREADY looks like the middle finger you dread so badly, but after these proposed towers I don't see how one could perceive that image at all. Unless 10 high rises and one skyscraper looks like a middle finger to you... but you've made it pretty clear that's about all you gather from our future skyline. ;P

Here's a fun note: Devon at 844' not only sticks out in our city, but it would in most cities. Devon would be the 15th tallest complete building in NYC at the current moment and tied for 12th in Chicago. These giant cities have hundreds, if not thousands, of structures that are above 5 stories, yet Devon would still be in top 20 in each. Swap out Chicago and NYC for a middle-sized metro like us and you start to see how rare a tower like Devon is for a city our size. So in context to Devon, OF COURSE these new towers are "short", but if we would stop obsessing over Devon's height then you might see these towers for what they really are; 5 great highrises [according to factual information and not opinion] designed by world-renowned architects that will make GREAT additions to extend our skyline and add density.

I am actually very pleased with this development, retail aside (& the loss of Hotel Black *tear*]. I wonder how many people even know of the Lever House in Manhattan? Very lovely and minimalist building that still shines among the thousands of similarly-sized structures in NYC. It makes me appreciate the design of 499 more than I would have without the context. I also will remain optimistic as to the fate of the retail spaces. I am REALLY hoping that we can encourage the developer and the city to at least ensure the retail is done correctly and not some half-assed display boxes like Devon's parking garage. Which if I remember correctly, we were told those spaces would be available for lease at some point in the future. Me thinks we got tricked pretty good in believing that; Fool us once, shame on you. Fool us twice, shame on us.

We should definitely be proactive with the small details, as that is where we have the most chance of impacting this project in a positive way that can benefit the workers, residents, and visitors. I think the retail and parking garages are where we should focus constructive criticism.
    Bravo.

Scroll on buddy. If you don't like my opinion, if you see my name just keep on scrolling. I think if more people rejected this as I do, it could make a difference. I believe that they have people checking out what the public thinks or at least I'd like to think they'd like to get a feel for what the general opinion is of this. If they see we are all excited about leveling the block for this mid rise, well we will have set our standards that this is what OKC basically is. As great as it is getting 5 towers in the 20-27 story range, I would much, much rather have 3 towers at about 35-45 story range.

As for the person who said the Devon would look funny in other major cities, I disagree. In fact it wouldn't even look out of place down the turnpike in Tulsa. They have other high rises that are in the 550 to 670 foot range. The Devon would be taller but it would not look awkward in Tulsa like it does in OKC. Can you all really not see how very few high rises OKC actually has? The Cotter Ranch is the second tallest at 500 feet and a few more in the 350 to 450 range. It just looks weird, sorry but it does. I have heard several times how beautiful the Devon is followed by it looks strange because all the other buildings look like midgets. That is the truth, that is what has been said, and this site needs more height and street interaction, not leveled and 2 more parking garages. If this mid rise was somewhere else, no complaints from me. BTW, did anyone see the new residential high rise that was just proposed in Austin? It is supposed to be the tallest one west of the Mississippi. I know we aren't Austin but the standards they have compared to OKC are literally night and day. I can't imagine anyone there being a little jealous of this 27 story project.

Scroll on buddy. If you don't like my opinion, if you see my name just keep on scrolling. I think if more people rejected this as I do, it could make a difference. I believe that they have people checking out what the public thinks or at least I'd like to think they'd like to get a feel for what the general opinion is of this. If they see we are all excited about leveling the block for this mid rise, well we will have set our standards that this is what OKC basically is. As great as it is getting 5 towers in the 20-27 story range, I would much, much rather have 3 towers at about 35-45 story range.

As for the person who said the Devon would look funny in other major cities, I disagree. In fact it wouldn't even look out of place down the turnpike in Tulsa. They have other high rises that are in the 550 to 670 foot range. The Devon would be taller but it would not look awkward in Tulsa like it does in OKC. Can you all really not see how very few high rises OKC actually has? The Cotter Ranch is the second tallest at 500 feet and a few more in the 350 to 450 range. It just looks weird, sorry but it does. I have heard several times how beautiful the Devon is followed by it looks strange because all the other buildings look like midgets. That is the truth, that is what has been said, and this site needs more height and street interaction, not leveled and 2 more parking garages. If this mid rise was somewhere else, no complaints from me. BTW, did anyone see the new residential high rise that was just proposed in Austin? It is supposed to be the tallest one west of the Mississippi. I know we aren't Austin but the standards they have compared to OKC are literally night and day. I can't imagine anyone there being a little jealous of this 27 story project.
    Do you like the Dubai Skyline?

Thread Information